• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242 Limited S E Series - Bilge Pump

bobmorrisonnc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Question...I was always of the understanding if I left the batteries on my bilge would operate (2018 Yamaha 242 Limited S E Series)? Today we had a lot of rain so I went out to the boat lift and checked the boat to find a large amount of water in both the engine compartment and the ski locker. I immediately pulled the plug on the back (which I do not like to do when it's on the lift because if the lift fails the boat sinks). Am I mistaken in the fact the bilge should run? Is there a setting or something that might cause this not to run? Possible bad bilge pump(it does run if I put the key in the ignition)?

I have same boat and that has been my understanding too. But frankly I have been confused since day one on the bilge. Our owners manual came with an edited page on the bilge almost like Yamaha wasn’t sure how it worked. It could be that your bilge screen is clogged and therefore your sensor is not detecting water to auto turn on. Could be a fuse maybe. If you hit your bilge button does it come on?

Sorry. Just reread your post. I see it works when key is in. Like I said, I’ve been confused since day one. Manual reads like bilge should be auto even if batteries are off. But I’ve never quite trusted it. Maybe some of the guys who wet slip can weigh in.

What I have found so far was when I had the boat on I made sure the bilge pump switch just had the green light on. Then if you shut it off and remove the key it appears to allow the bilge pump to run without the key in. I think I had bumped the switch and managed to have the blue light on the bilge pump prior thus preventing it from cycling every once and a while when the key was removed. I am still studying it but that is what so far I have been able to find out.

2018 Yamaha 242 Limited SE
Bilge Pump will work with float switch with both batteries off.
I check on my lift this weekend after dumping oil in my bilge from sideways mounted oil filters.
Terrible design on mounting filters sideways.
I like my boat!

The biggest upgrade I made on my boat was adding a second bilge pump in the actual BILGE area. Water will never reach your engines. and if it does, it is a fail safe. There are hundreds of posts about this install, but if it's one thing I could recommend doing it is this.

Last edited:
My Yamaha 242 LSE has 3 snaps at the bottom of center windshield what are these for am I missing a cover?

My Yamaha 242 LSE has 3 snaps at the bottom of center windshield what are these for am I missing a cover?
It is for the Yamaha snap in covers - they do not come with the boat.

What I have found so far was when I had the boat on I made sure the bilge pump switch just had the green light on. Then if you shut it off and remove the key it appears to allow the bilge pump to run without the key in. I think I had bumped the switch and managed to have the blue light on the bilge pump prior thus preventing it from cycling every once and a while when the key was removed. I am still studying it but that is what so far I have been able to find out.

This is an old thread so I apologize but I can never get enough confusing information on the bilge pump issue. I have tried to solve this same problem on my 2018 242X E with no luck. I have not tried this 'green light only' technique when removing the key. Has this problem been resolved now?

Back