• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242x Bimini Discussion

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Will I have a problem with this to stay in place if I take it out or cause any damage?😛
Um, yes... if you take those 2 bolts out, that’s all that is holding it on. Unscrew the knob in the center, and disconnect the light/speaker connector on the side and take the whole thing off. It’s not heavy but is a 2-3 person job because it’s awkward.

Also, I would not use it with just 1 bolt in it either. 😀

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Will I have a problem with this to stay in place if I take it out or cause any damage?😛
Only damage caused by taking the bimini frame off will be self-inflicted if you drop it or accidentally scratch the powder coat. Just be careful.

Veronica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will be in the water in no time.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Veronica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well, we have the boat in a Marina now and they are helping us find the sku# for the particular bolt. Basically my husband drove the boat from point A to point B but was not aware we had to drop the Bimini and stuff which is what ultimately led me to this forum. So now that we arrived and after many failed tries at a couple of places they are going to do what was recommended and pull the bolt to get the exact info so we can buy a new and possibly a spare...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, we have the boat in a Marina now and they are helping us find the sku# for the particular bolt. Basically my husband drove the boat from point A to point B but was not aware we had to drop the Bimini and stuff which is what ultimately led me to this forum. So now that we arrived and after many failed tries at a couple of places they are going to do what was recommended and pull the bolt to get the exact info so we can buy a new and possibly a spare...
So, it hit something and now you’ve got a bent bolt? That’s what happened to me, but the weld on the tower broke and the whole frame came tumbling down. If you’ve got a bent bolt, it’s a real bear to get it out. During normal operation, you shouldn’t have to drop the tower or bimini unless you’re just going under something too short. Make sure your knob on the bimini in the center stays tight. If it comes out, the bimini will bounce while you’re driving... and that’s not a good thing. 😀

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to revive an old thread but what speed can you trailer a 242x at with Bimini removed but tower still up? Is it safe to go 70,80? Does anyone ever waterproof their bimini tops on their 242x and go up with a ladder and respray up there or it’s not needed and they stay waterproof for years?

Anyone willing to make a really quick short video explaining the easiest way to takeoff the cover from the big tower and put it back on?

Last edited:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I tow regularly with the bimini on at 55. With the bimini off, I don't hesitate to do 75 on the intestate.

I've never even thought about trying to waterproof it, we don't spend much time out in the rain. If we get rained on, it's usually while we're booking it back to the dock to load up.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same with me, without it cruising at 70'ish is no problem. With it on, I don't go much above 50. Have never thought about waterproofing it.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Always take off my bimini when the boat is put on the nest for winter (see pic) Novemberish ? I bring it home , stretch it out on the driveway and clean it thoroughly with a dawn dish soap / warm water mixture on both sides. After allowing to totally dry in direct sunlight , I use 303 fabric protector and my home/garden pressure sprayer to liberally apply to ONLY the top, exposed side of fabric. Once it has completely dried the Bimini is folded and stored until the next season. I did this on my previous 2016 AR240 and continue with my current vessel even though its a much bigger job on this boat due to the size and shape of the top. Yes , it does repel water just like RainX on a car windshield but for me its not so much that as it is making bird/duck poop from the slip easier to hose off without staining, and the UV protection from direct heat in the summer. Great product.

Attachments

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just sold my 242X but:
-Towed with bimini on most wknds. 45 minutes at 50, maybe 55.
-If going further, or faster, take bimini off. Don't usually tow any faster than 70ish.
-Take bimini off for Winter storage, as well as take speakers off (Virginia) and cover with shipping cover (save the black for Summer)
Never treated my bimini and after 5 years, bimini was beginning to get fragile, and actually put my thumb through it. Patched with "Tear-aid".
Would recommend annual treatment for protection and longevity.

On/off just takes a bit of practice. Took 30 minutes the first time but by the time I'd done it 2 or 3 times. 10 minutes, tops.
Off:
-Release 2 rachets (wrap back up so don't scratch while removing)
-Undo 4 plastic clips
-Lift up stern corners
-Pull bimini forward, from the bow (if removing to tow, I'd just roll it as I pulled it forward)
Note: Rachets need to be manually fed around a corner or two of the frame.

To put on, just do the reverse.