• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242x Bimini Discussion

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Funny. Not to hijack (rather - just to make y'all 242X owners feel better about your biminis!) - the AR240 bimini takes about as long if not longer to fold back in place...
That little bimini is a nightmare to fold back and secure in the boot, I ended up buying a set of long "gear ties" which help - since I only have two hands and you need more. Those are great, I keep some in the boat.

Not a great pic - but that's how I use the ties also for short tows:
View attachment 68135

--
I leave the Bimini but stowed in the boot as you have shown however put on 3 or 4 zip ties on to ensure the boot stays on. It tows fine and never had any issues.

I do this for any longer tows - its to ackward to take off and find some place to put it.

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I gave up looking for an X tower, and paying close to 10k for a new is not an option!
Got this one - just received it but not tested yet - will see how it does:

It is not meant to be used while running, but I'm willing to take a risk while wakesurfing - this thing should be fine at 10mph.

--

I have never seen this top. What is the setup and take down time? How much room does it take up in storage?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have never seen this top.
What is the setup and take down time?
How much room does it take up in storage?
That makes two of us.
No idea, but will find out very soon, maybe even this weekend :D
The package is very long (5-6ft ?)... but it looks like the sunshade will easily fit in the ski locker, folded.

--

DERFLA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My tower broke trailering it probably on its 10th run to the lake. As one of the posters stated, the manual makes no mention of how to trailer it and the dealer said trailer it with the top on. I was pissed as can be expected and had no other information on what to do other than go what the dealer said. Yamaha just warrantied it and I am now stuck if it breaks again. Yamaha was unable to give me an answer on proper trailering.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My tower broke trailering it probably on its 10th run to the lake.
Can you give us more details please! Yamaha doesn't recommend lowering the tower to trailer it. Mine has gone thousands of miles with no issues at all. So what broke?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also remove the Bimini when towing as there's a tag on it (or I read somewhere on the tower) where it says 45MPH max speed.

Yamaha recommends leaving the tower up to tow, so that's what I've always done. On two boats, I've towed about 15,000 miles without troubles over the years.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I believe it's best to trailer with the tower up and bimini removed. Although I believe you can trailer with the bimini up to 45 mph.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I remove mine based on my route to the lake. I figure that it can obviously handle 45-50mph since it does already while on the water. So if my drive is going to be at speeds less than 50mph I leave it on. For long drives at highway speeds I remove it.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I remove mine based on my route to the lake. I figure that it can obviously handle 45-50mph since it does already while on the water. So if my drive is going to be at speeds less than 50mph I leave it on. For long drives at highway speeds I remove it.
+1

Ballman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I gave up looking for an X tower, and paying close to 10k for a new is not an option!
Got this one - just received it but not tested yet - will see how it does:

It is not meant to be used while running, but I'm willing to take a risk while wakesurfing - this thing should be fine at 10mph.

--
Swat ski - Where did you find this awning and have you tested it yet?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
any other 242x owners chime in?? I've had mine for two months now and have not removed the bimini fabric.. seems complicated and for 40 minute drives seems it would be a pain and just as much wear removing and installing every trip.. I keep my highway speeds at 60 or under, figure 45-50 on the boat and winds is about the same so it should be designed for that.

Curious how fabric is holding up from the "keep it up camp" and the wear from install/ratchet and uninstalls?

thx,
mike

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
any other 242x owners chime in?? I've had mine for two months now and have not removed the bimini fabric.. seems complicated and for 40 minute drives seems it would be a pain and just as much wear removing and installing every trip.. I keep my highway speeds at 60 or under, figure 45-50 on the boat and winds is about the same so it should be designed for that.

Curious how fabric is holding up from the "keep it up camp" and the wear from install/ratchet and uninstalls?

thx,
mike
‘19 242X. I take my bimini fabric off every time. Mostly because I store outside and would rather avoid the extra sun exposure. If we’re going to our home lake, I’ll put on at home then trailer to the gas station and then the lake. Maybe 5 miles total, top speed about 40. Any farther than that, and it’s already off so just leave it until I get where I’m going.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 45 minutes to our favorite lake.
We leave the bimini up for anything under an hour (or so).
Don't drive faster than 60mph
Bimini mostly stays on all Summer. The boat is stored outside. Wear and tear from sun, vs taking on and off???
Screwed up the year before last and the dealer kept the boat in their yard (warranty work) and they left the Bimini up all Winter.
Have had to use "Tear-Aid" for a slight hole I put in bimini while taking it off, at the end of last season. It's working great.
I expect that I will need to replace the bimini every 5 years. I'd likely

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I leave mine on but if I'm trailering on the highway over 45-50mph, I take it off. My house to the lake is small back roads and I leave it on. 15 minute drive and I stay under 50. No issues....

No, the dumb "sunroof" they put on the 2018's is another story.... hate it!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think the OP asked about taking the bimini frame off, too. On the 18-19, it’s just 2 Allen head bolts and it comes right off.

One thing to remember is that the plug for the anchor light seems to complete the light circuit. So, unplugging that disabled my nav lights. If you thought you were going to be without the bimini frame, you’ll probably need to come up with a jumper to complete that circuit as well as rig up another anchor light to stay legal.

I’ll know more about this in a couple days, as my dealer is doing it right now for me. My bimini frame is off for a couple months awaiting some warranty work.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Take the opposite side off and figure out the size you need. Then check here:

Veronica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will I have a problem with this to stay in place if I take it out or cause any damage?😛

Veronica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you Bigabe75 for the reply