• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242X - First Jet Boat

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will be soon be taking ownership of a 2018 242x. This will be my first jet drive and after extensive research in this forum, I will be adding the JBP vectors and thrusters. I’m sure I would get used to the handling, but I’d hate to rash up a new gel coat. In addition, I will be changing the bow eye roller to a Stoltz. The question I cannot find an answer to is would it be a good choice to replace the keel roller and any of the frame pads to Stoltz as well?

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How exciting. Welcome to the Jet Boat world and this forum. These owners have been a huge help to me this past couple years. Agreed with adding the vectors and thrusters. I added the vectors on both of my boats before ever taking them out. The latest one also has the Thrusters. You'll probably want them anyhow so might as well order them while waiting on the boat delivery. As for the keel roller (I assume you mean rear/stern), I may be wrong, but unless you retrieve at a really shallow ramp, I don't think any boat comes close to the trailer at the back. My trailer doesn't have a roller at the back, just a plastic piece.
IMG_0385.jpg

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m not sure if these trailers have it, but the previous boat trailers I’ve owned have had a roller on the forward most crossmember to help center the boat. That’s what I’m referring to as the keel roller. These trailers may not have one?

Dave Baran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No rollers on the Yamaha trailers. Definately get the Stoltz bow roller. The middle section needs about 1/4" sanded or cut off of it. I would recommend you swap it out at the ramp while the boat is in the lake. Thats what I did the first time out to the lake and it was really easy.

Last edited:

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This was the first thing I did. Didn't need to do any grinding though, they sell one specifically for the yamaha shorelander trailer.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After loading my boat onto my trailer a few times and trailering it, the stupid factory roller scratched up my bow. I replaced it with the Stoltz roller and problem was resolved.

If you’re new to boating or driving a twin engine boat, I suggest you watch as many YouTube videos as possible. With patience and practice, these boats can be quite easy to captain. I bought mine mostly because of the twin engine setup and maneuverability that goes along with it.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After loading my boat onto my trailer a few times and trailering it, the stupid factory roller scratched up my bow. I replaced it with the Stoltz roller and problem was resolved.

If you’re new to boating or driving a twin engine boat, I suggest you watch as many YouTube videos as possible. With patience and practice, these boats can be quite easy to captain. I bought mine mostly because of the twin engine setup and maneuverability that goes along with it.
Which roller did you get? I have already noticed a couple spots on mine that I want to avoid.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is the roller thing a big issue? I haven't noticed any scratches on mine, but honestly haven't looked. Is the stock roller that bad?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is the roller thing a big issue? I haven't noticed any scratches on mine, but honestly haven't looked. Is the stock roller that bad?
My brand new boat had scratches from the stock bow roller when I picked it up. They buffed out but yeah its that bad.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmm.... add that to the upgrade list I guess. My thrust vectors and lateral thrusters shipped from JBP today! Super excited about that

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's the one I got. Night and day difference.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see people stating two different sizes of bow rollers: the 4" (ULT-4) or the 3.5". Which is the size for a 2018 sX240? What does the size dimension refer to? Is it the diameter of the roller bells or is it the length?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Scott Huse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think the 4" came from before Stoltz started making the 3.5" specifically for the Shorelandr that comes with our Yamaha boats and people were buying the 4" Stoltz and cutting it down.
Stolz now makes a 3.5 specifically for the Shorelandr trailer. At least that is my understanding, anyone can feel free to correct me.

https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/35-inch-Stoltz-Bow-Roller-with-Bells-for-Yamaha-Jet-Boat-Shorelandr-Trailers_p_1493.html
This is the one I purchased as well, works great.