• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242x house battery while anchored question.

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
when i turn the house battery to listen to music i get the low battery voltage (12.5v) light beep and can't quite It until i turn the start battery on. i just got the boat and didn't get to use It an hr yet.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The battery might have sat for bit at the dealer. Likely need a battery tender to bring the voltage up.

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The battery might have sat for bit at the dealer. Likely need a battery tender to bring the voltage up.
But 12.5 isn’t low. Starting battery is 12.6
If i do say fully charge It to 12.6 can i then turn starting off? It will read 0 on the screen and i believe It will beep again.
Or am i suppose to leave both on?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your problem might be the type of battery your using for the house, unless it's a deep cycle battery you will likely have issues with any extended play, couple that with a battery that was also low to begin with and you likely found your culprit.

If its indeed a starting battery swap it out for a group 27 or 29 deep cycle battery and add a tender to keep it charged and your solid!

Any pics of the battery setup?

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your problem might be the type of battery your using for the house, unless it's a deep cycle battery you will likely have issues with any extended play, couple that with a battery that was also low to begin with and you likely found your culprit.

If its indeed a starting battery swap it out for a group 27 or 29 deep cycle battery and add a tender to keep it charged and your solid!

Any pics of the battery setup?
Original battery
242x has a solar tender.
I just don’t think 12.5 is low battery.
I guess the question is do i have to keep the start battery on while beached/anchored or am i suppose to be able to just keep the house on by itself.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Leave both battery switches turned on otherwise Connext will be mad. As long as everything is hooked up properly, and the parallel/emergency switch isn’t ‘on’, then the radio and other accessories will only drain the house battery when the boat is off and leave the start battery fully charged.

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Leave both battery switches turned on otherwise Connext will be mad. As long as everything is hooked up properly, and the parallel/emergency switch isn’t ‘on’, then the radio and other accessories will only drain the house battery when the boat is off and leave the start battery fully charged.
Okay that’s what i was worried that my start will drain after hours listening to music. I’ll make sure the parallel switch is off. Thank you.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I only leave the house battery on while anchored. You turn key off, start battery off, house battery on and push the SYS/CRTL button for 3 sec. and the Connext system will boot. I have never had the low battery alarm. The solar panels keep my batteries topped off.

Last edited:

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here is how the batteries are supposed to be wired. Make sure the little thin wire from the DVSR is connect to the Start battery negative post. This is sometimes left off. This is for the 2016 models but should be similar.

Attachments

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also here is the BEP DVSR manual that explains how the DVSR works, and a mod that some people have done so they can hook up a dual bank shore charger.

LED is ON - DVSR Operation Explained - Charging: The DVSR is connected between two battery banks. When the DVSR senses a charging
voltage (13.4VDC or 26.8VDC) on either of the banks, it automatically activates and joins the two battery banks after a short delay (5
seconds), so they are charged as one battery bank.

LED is OFF - Isolation: When the DVSR senses that batteries are not being
charged (voltage drops to 12.8V DC or 25.6V DC) the DVSR deactivates following a 20 second delay, separating the combined
battery banks into two isolated banks.

Attachments

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I only leave the house battery on while anchored. You turn key off, start battery off, house battery on and push the SYS/CRTL button for 3 sec. and the Connext system will boot. I have never had the low battery alarm. The solar panels keep my batteries topped off.
That’s the answer i wanted to hear. Maybe i didn’t have the key off so I’ll have to try that today. Thank you.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still thinking you should confirm that your boat has a deep cycle battery as well for the house if you plan on playing music for an extended period of time.

Some dealers put in a starter batter for your house, which aren't meant to be discharged and charged repeatedly and still maintain an adequate voltage to play music or other electronics.

Besides that the other answers above should round out all of your battery needs.

How will you recharge them after a outing or weekend?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Coheeba thanks for posting that info on the DVSR...been meaning to do this mod so my house batteries charge properly and keep my 4 amps playing....so far so good, but I have been better at keeping it charged.

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm still thinking you should confirm that your boat has a deep cycle battery as well for the house if you plan on playing music for an extended period of time.

Some dealers put in a starter batter for your house, which aren't meant to be discharged and charged repeatedly and still maintain an adequate voltage to play music or other electronics.

Besides that the other answers above should round out all of your battery needs.

How will you recharge them after a outing or weekend?
X has a solar battery tender. Also when i ride home they will recharge. I’ll check on the deep cycle part later today. Thank you

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, those do....trickle charger from what I understand, really all depends on how much power your running and for how long.

The ride home probably also isn't going to charge them back up 100%, these boats have stators not regular alternators, so the charge they put out while underway isnt sufficient to replenish the lost voltage from all that I have read, and others have posted/indicated. How long of a ride we talkin?

I too was thinking a nice long ride would do the trick cant confirm if it does for me, once you know if its deep cycle that will tell you all you need to know.

Sure it will be fine, one amp on a battery, but overtime you might consider some sort of charging to keep them topped off.

In my last boat I made the mistake of not keeping my batteries charged up on a regular and noticed I was having issues in past years. Since I added a battery charger and my storage keeps boat charged I haven't had any issues.

Keep us posted, interested to see what the resolution is.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Why are you guys turning off the start battery while anchored? I thought the whole purpose of the setup was to isolate the start battery. Why not leave both on with the parallel switch off?

Scoop

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is what I do....leave both on, and parallel off.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't want to drain the start while using my sound system. That way it starts when i want to go home. :):winkingthumbsup"[flag][flag]

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont think you can drain the start with the parallel off??

At least thats what I've been told by a dealer, and members on here.

I used to always turn all three switches on, including the parallel, then hated when I went to turn off start that my tunes always shutoff....I was then told not to use the parallel switch and just leave the house and starter on....IF for some reason the starter is low, flip on the parallel switch to get it the juice it needs to start it.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As long as your battery cables are run correctly and the DVSR is wired correctly there shouldn't be any drain on the start battery even with the switch on. That's the point of the whole switch cluster.