• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 242x overheat alarm

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I go to do my first oil change today and get everything set up to go, connect hose, start Port motor, turn water on and verify water out exhaust and pisser. Little more than a dribble out the pisser but figured as long as its coming out I'm OK. After a few minutes the overheat alarm goes off and I shut everything down. The motor is warm and I start checking into things. Well I found where the flush hose runs through the carpeted bulkhead next to the motor, there is a notch out for the hose, well they missed the notch and the hose was pinched off between the bulkhead and they hull. Got it worked up into the notch and tried it again and while the hose is collapsed a little, if I squeeze it into shape I get good flow and no overheat alarm on that motor. Finished the oil change on the Port motor and did the Starboard but the check engine alarm is still going off. The temperature gauge is not lit up, just the check engine light and alarm is going off and says to shut down Port motor (even though it is not running) and check with dealer.

Well I call the dealer and of course the boat guy is out for a couple days. I'm pretty sure this is just a warning to check codes and take care of the problem which I did but is there any way to clear the code so the alarm stops?

Here is a pic of the pinched hose, forgot to take one of it behind the bulkhead pinched off but it was in there below the notch.

Attachments

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
as far as I know it will take a while the warning to go off.

a 2017 had a similar issue during the July crossing They waited for a while and eventually they made a single boat crossing :jimlad:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you disconnect the battery it will clear the alarm for Connext.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you disconnect the battery it will clear the alarm for Connext.
I have turned the batteries off at the switch several times with no luck. I wonder if there is a 12v hot all the time to the computer even with the switches off and may try physically disconnecting batteries at the cables.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have turned the batteries off at the switch several times with no luck. I wonder if there is a 12v hot all the time to the computer even with the switches off and may try physically disconnecting batteries at the cables.
Turning the switch off will not reset it. You have to disconnect the battery cables for a while and it will reset the warning. Seems to fix it for most people.

Read a bit further down in this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/check-engine-light.9985/. There are similar threads where people disconnect and letting the system fully drain any stored power does a full reset.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Disconnected batteries overnight and connected again this morning and the alarm is still there. Before turning the key on I checked the computer and the error code was gone but as soon as I turned the key on the alarm popped up and the error code is now showing again on the diagnostics. Talked to the "boat guy" at the dealer today and he said it would have to be connected to computer to clear :shifty: Closest dealer is 4 hours away but he said any dealer that sells and services yamaha marine should be able to do it so I will check with the local dealer that sells outboards.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Talked to local dealer but service manager wasnt there but girl at the desk said it should be no problem. Does anybody know what the plug looks like and where it might be on a 2018 242x so the dealer doesnt have to spend time searching for it.

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Let me know what you find out Rusty, same issue with my '18 - code won't clear even after battery disconnect for several days. Went through a patch of weeds on my last outing and plugged up the intake. After a cleanout the temp alarm went away, but the code is still set. I'm 4.5hrs from a (boat) dealer as well. There has to be an end-user method to clear codes as dealer intervention will not work for me every time this happens.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not had any overheats, yet, but got an engine check error - no idea why - that I could not clear while on a lake vacation.
Might have popped up due to me turning the battery switches off too quickly after turning the engine off, or something like that. But that’s besides the point.

The point is - I was able to use my Maptuer X to reflash the ECU with the back up file - problem solved.

I purchased the Maptuner X along with reflash program/tunes from RIVA - that helps with mid range torque and dramatically improves power curve/throttle response.
But the Maptuner X alone, with no extra reflash tune/software, could be used to store the back up file - original copy from factory - and be able to re-flush that any time with a problem like this. Just an idea.

Maptuner is not very expensive, reflash tunes (especially for twins - two licenses needed) are.

The thing works extremely well- I can reflash on the water in 3-4 min both engines/ECUs.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well after letting it sit with batteries disconnected for 3 days and then turning on keyed switch and hitting start buttons just to drain any power that might be sitting someplace I still have the check engine alarm. Took it to the Yamaha Outboard dealer today and while their computer could see the boat computer the YDS system would not let them in as they did not have the proper licensing as an Outboard dealer. The tech was really upset by this as he wanted to help but he couldnt. They spent almost an hour trying 2 diagnostics systems with no success.....and would charge me a dime. I went there willing to pay for their time even if it didnt work, nice honest place. So I guess i'll wait till summer to hit a dealer someplace along the way to the some lake unless I can find something else out. Does anybody have an email contact at Yamaha to ask them?

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow... Thank you for checking on this Rusty. We have to figure out an easier way to reset this code without having to visit a dealer or invest in swatski's solution.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well after setting all winter with the batteries disconnected, turned the battery switches on, turn the key on and the check engine alarm went off. I muted it and test fired the engines before heading to the lake. Once launched, turned the key on and the alarm went off again so I left it going off and started the engines and the lark immediately turned off. Guess it just needed to see water flow to clean the overhead alarm...that’s the only thing I could think of. Glad I don’t have to drive 4 hours to get it cleared now!

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after setting all winter with the batteries disconnected, turned the battery switches on, turn the key on and the check engine alarm went off. I muted it and test fired the engines before heading to the lake. Once launched, turned the key on and the alarm went off again so I left it going off and started the engines and the lark immediately turned off. Guess it just needed to see water flow to clean the overhead alarm...that’s the only thing I could think of. Glad I don’t have to drive 4 hours to get it cleared now!
Please keep me posted on any changes. I have a 2018 AR240 and have experienced the comm error a few times but not an errant overheat alarm yet.

Rustynuts

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine was cause by an actual overheat alarm as the flush hose was pinched by a bulkhead enough to cut the flow down. The overheat alarm cleared itself but the check engine/see dealer would not clear but getting the boat in the water cured it.

florchak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had same problem this weekend. I think I am ok to run the motors but the PCM won't reset the code. Dealer is saying I need to bring it in to hook to YDS to clear code. There has to be a way. I have tried unhooking batteries overnight. I have tried charging batteries so they are strong. There has to be a way to reset this "port engine contact dealer" alarm.

Any update to your problem???

What do you think about moving the overheat sensor to the other engine to see if the alarm moves???

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
florchak you can reset the code with 3 good/normal start and stop cycles. Yes the dealer could clear the code for you, but I was successful clearing it myself. I did it while flushing at the house. The final cycle will still alarm, but the code will clear right away. You can verify it cleared by pulling up the system menu. Good luck amigo.

<EDITED BY ADMIN>

Some have found it takes 5 on/off cycles for it to work. Please post your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

florchak

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you.... I know I tried this but just start and stop motor 3 times?

And I do not see the code in the "system" menu. Is it under a sub menu?

Gary Tait

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You have to press and hold the System button to get into the system menu (can't remember specifically but a search on this forum should help. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check.

I'm almost 200mi from my dealer so a trip to reset the code was out of the question.

Yes, just three good start/stop cycles (without overheating of course) should clear the code.

Good luck!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have to press and hold the System button to get into the system menu (can't remember specifically but a search on this forum should help. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check.

I'm almost 200mi from my dealer so a trip to reset the code was out of the question.

Yes, just three good start/stop cycles (without overheating of course) should clear the code.

Good luck!
I just have to ask: how/where did you learn about that?
:)

--