• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Water shutoff for Single Engine

Scoop

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Guys,

Below are some photos of my engines. Can anyone point out where I would clamp off the water if I need to go single engine? Are the 2018 boats plumbed differently or am I just not looking in the right spot? If these are not good angles where should I be looking?

Thanks.Both Engines.jpg port engine side.jpg

Yeah I found the best place to access the intake hoses by removing the clean out panel for installing tow valves. You can reach these hoses and/or valves after you install them through the smaller clean out access hatch.

To see them in the engine compartment just look in the back port side of the engine for the 'Y' fitting that has a red hose joining up with a black hose (at least I think its the same place as mine). The black hose is the one you want to clamp off. You want to clamp it off either before or right after the 'Y' fitting. There isn't much hose to work with in this area though, much more to work with under the clean out panel.

As haknslash mentioned I posted some pics that may be helpful here:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-...et-boat-today-thread.2661/page-70#post-316190

Keep in mind, when flushing engines on the hose (e.g. salt water) - closing those valves will dramatically increase flushing efficiency throughout the engine exhaust system, and permit flushing while in the water. I believe @Gym does that.
(Without such valves most of the water from flushing ports "escapes" through the pump)

--

Thanks guys. Great information!

Can't see from your pics but there are 2 places where you can install valves or 1 place to use clamps. Follow the route the water takes from the
Keep in mind, when flushing engines on the hose (e.g. salt water) - closing those valves will dramatically increase flushing efficiency throughout the engine exhaust system, and permit flushing while in the water. I believe @Gym does that.
(Without such valves most of the water from flushing ports "escapes" through the pump)

--
That's exactly right @swatski. I close those valves whenever I flush in the salt or on the trailer.

Can't see from your pics but there are 2 places where you can install valves or 1 place to use clamps. Follow the route the water takes from the

That's exactly right @swatski. I close those valves whenever I flush in the salt or on the trailer.
I was under the impression the water splashing kept the impellers from getting damaged and cool from running dry too long.
These engines are designed to run with the system the way it came factory. It has adequate water flow as is.
While i agree you get better water flow through the system with a shut off

These engines are designed to run with the system the way it came factory. It has adequate water flow as is.
Sure but not on a hose with low water pressure. If the hose/flush port water does not come out of the pee holes I wonder how well are the engines flushed wiht most of the water flowing right out the pump cooling water intakes...
I never really thought of impeller cooling aspect of it, I guess it is somethign to keep in mind if flushing for a long time!

--

If i do one engine at a time, i get flow out the pee hole even at idle

If i do one engine at a time, i get flow out the pee hole even at idle
That is good to know!

Giving me pee flow envy.
:D

--

The thing to look at is how much water comes out below your boat with and without valves/clamps. The less water that falls out below your boat is finding it's way to the top of the cooling journals in your engines.

You want a real good flow out of the exhaust exit.

OK thanks guys. So is the valve installation occurring in the engine compartment or by the cleanout plug access? In other words does the valve installation occur in the engine compartment or am I going to the swim platform and removing the cover over the clean out plugs. With the cover removed I can install the valves and with the cover on I will be accessing them through the same hole that I remove the cleanout plugs.

Not really sure and since I am not at the boat now I can't really investigate.

OK thanks guys. So is the valve installation occurring in the engine compartment or by the cleanout plug access? In other words does the valve installation occur in the engine compartment or am I going to the swim platform and removing the cover over the clean out plugs. With the cover removed I can install the valves and with the cover on I will be accessing them through the same hole that I remove the cleanout plugs.

Either location, depends on your agility, really, lol. The shutoff is usually installed aft of the Y-splitter in the engine compartment/bay, but the bilge access is easier.check this out for some ideas:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-add-a-shutoff-valve-to-your-boats-cooling-system.411/

--

Like @swatski said, you have options so you really have to decide yourself. Typically it seems people have been doing it in the engine compartment. Personally I found that there is so little hose to work with in there but its obviously doable cause people have done it. I also wanted the valves installed before the 'Y' where the flush hoses come in for more flexibility when flushing if I ever need it - which there is even less to no room in the engine compartment to install them before the 'Y' on the 212x. In the end when opening the clean out hatch panel cover I could see that I can reach both hoses through there so the valves would be very accessible from there. So I unscrewed the clean out panel and installed them in that bilge area. To me this seems like the best place but some have done this and some have done the engine compartment so just something you will have to decided for yourself.

** may just be how you worded it but you won't "be accessing them through the same hole that I remove the cleanout plugs", its actually the bilge access panel hole that is between the clean out plugs.

I put mine in the bilge, not in the engine compartment. Much more room to work there. Probably an hour or 90 minute job, depending on how handy you are and how tidy you want to be on the way out (I replaced the caulk around my access panel over the cleanout ports with weather stripping, etc., while I was in the neighborhood).

I do recall I looked back behind the engine, found the hose there and said, "aw, hell no." But, as someone said, people have done it, so it must be possible.

Back