• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha 212X problems

AndyF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took delivery of new 212X in early June and it has had nothing but problems.

1) Constant alarming comms errors that dealer has not been able to fix.

2) Speaker not working properly

Anyone else have problems with 2018 Yamaha boats or did I just get a lemon. My 2017 Waverunners are still working fine and no issues.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would try a different dealer. Put your location in your profile, and solicit input from folks on this site--to recommended dealers in your area.

-Greg

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
:confused:I would advise you checking with your state's attorney's office to see if your states lemon laws apply to boats, some states do some don't, if not then you can always fall back on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Good luck!

AndyF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha corporate now involved but no resolution yet.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would contact the Virginia State's Attorney General and ask for advice and what your rights are under Virginia law. I had an issue when I lived in Virginia and the State's Attorney General intervened and they didn't play around, issue resolved in days! Good luck!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Straight to "lemon law"
Virginia's lemon law does NOT include boats, only cars, trucks, vans, mopeds, etc....That's why advise to contact the SAO and talk to them, my have to rely on Federal law. @Williamsone46 that's a great looking boat by the way.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Anyone else have problems with 2018 Yamaha boats or did I just get a lemon. My 2017 Waverunners are still working fine and no issues.
There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum, what are the issures

1. What comms error is coming up?

2. What is wrong with the speaker? Stereo issues in my experience are easier to fix.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Virginia's lemon law does NOT include boats, only cars, trucks, vans, mopeds, etc....
I meant your advise is to go straight to lemon law? There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum and these issues are easily resolved once communicating to the right person.

And thank you @FLBulldogger ! It came out nice, I've really enjoyed it!

Last edited:

AndyF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for advice. Am hopeful now that Yamaha Corp is involved that they will just do the right thing and get it resolved. Want to give them the chance as up to now it may have just been dealer trying to fix. But I did ask customer service at Corp to put note in my file that I am preserving my rights under MM Warranty Act.

Have gone through many different message boards and see other folks too having issues with 2018 Connext system. Still researching but my issue are multiple alarm comms issues after I have had boat out in water for an hour or so. Pump controller comm issue was first one. Now multiple ones including joystick comm error, etc.

Speaker issue is comparatively minor but should have been found during quality control and should be an easy fix. Speaker next to captains chair rattles at mid to high volume so have asked them to fix since they have it once again.

Thanks

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I meant your advise is to go straight to lemon law? There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum and these issues are easily resolved once communicating to the right person.
I was advising to get familiar with the lemon laws if applicable, when the OP posted he did not have his location in his profile, always be prepared for the worst, especially when dealing with corporate entities to include dealers. I agree the forums are a great place for repair advise but sometimes that can only take you so far, especially on a brand new less than a month old boat, I would not be inclined to be doing repairs knowing the dealer may try and turn that around on me. JMHO

Beachbumm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I am currently dealing with the same situation. After the fourth trip out on my 2018 212x started getting comm error message on the display. I could not connect a device and thetouchscreen stopped responding. I could only control the ballast tank through the control knob.
Took it to my dealership after three weeks of trail and error fixesYamaha adviced to replace the display/control unit. After they installed the new unit the controller knob stopped responding. So back through the same process with Yamaha and they advised to have the knob replaced. Come to find out that part is on back order for 3 months!! Called Yamaha they found a part and had it sent in two weeks. The dealership installs the “new” controller knob and now the new display unit is giving more comm errors! At this point it’s been over two months! Yamaha rep came out to the dealership today 11/27 and now I have to wait and see what there going to do. I does seem like this is an issue for these boats. Luckily I live in California that has a pretty cut and dry Lemon Law!

AndyF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am currently dealing with the same situation. After the fourth trip out on my 2018 212x started getting comm error message on the display. I could not connect a device and thetouchscreen stopped responding. I could only control the ballast tank through the control knob.
Took it to my dealership after three weeks of trail and error fixesYamaha adviced to replace the display/control unit. After they installed the new unit the controller knob stopped responding. So back through the same process with Yamaha and they advised to have the knob replaced. Come to find out that part is on back order for 3 months!! Called Yamaha they found a part and had it sent in two weeks. The dealership installs the “new” controller knob and now the new display unit is giving more comm errors! At this point it’s been over two months! Yamaha rep came out to the dealership today 11/27 and now I have to wait and see what there going to do. I does seem like this is an issue for these boats. Luckily I live in California that has a pretty cut and dry Lemon Law!
Tell the Dealer Rep to look at the well documented situation in Virginia as they should have records on how it was resolved (at least no issue in last 5 times out). Was told it took them 4+ hours on the water to find the loose wires. I suspect it may have been another issue too but they should have the info on how to fix.

Have also been told that battery issues on these 212X can cause some strange issues with the comm errors.

Good luck and when they figure it out please post a message to let us know. Send a direct message if you want to discuss further as it seems Yamaha does have an issue as I know of other 2018 212X owners who have had same issue I had.

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I have had nothing but issues with my 2018 212X. a lot of quality control issues speedometer stops working, the sound system sounds like crap, Bimini top came bent, throttles are so far off from each other and the top speed I'm able to hit is 40 miles an hour.

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
OH Guys. I feel better to see I wasn't alone.
I'm from Quebec Canada. Sorry for my English

I had some problems with my 2018 Yamaha 212X And my dealer told me I was the only one who had the problems and Yamaha don't know how to solve it...

I have the comm sys error too:
They plug the Yamaha laptop on the comm port but the computer Don't detect anything.
Sometime, the motors stalled or give me hardtime to start like they get flood

I had Bluetooth problem. They change my head unit
I have a problem with the Upspholtry piping (in waiting)

I have a lot of water in the blidge. The carpet in the battery compartment are always wet(where are the amplifier). We found a infiltration on the back corner.

But my biggest unsolve problem is with the center ballast. The ballast get fill by itself without using the pump. It fill by gravity or succion...
For exemple: Leave my boat to the dock all ballast empty. I come back couple hours latter and my center ballast is full in the bag but empty in the screen. If I dont watch this, the bag will pop the ski door if I full the bag.
Video:

When I unplug the center bag in the ski compartment I discover a small leak by my pump:

Apparently I am the only one in the world to have this problem and Yamaha dont know how to solve it… Common!

Thanks guys this forum are best informations. I thing We have more experience in this forum than Yamaha have!

Ohh by the way… About the audio rattling I solve everything by myself. I screw the speakers and panels correctly. To solve the rattle aside the captain chair, I unscrew the receptacle behind the throttle, put some silicone and put it back. and I Screw the sub too. (I think they are afraid to screw at Yamaha Plant :) )

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As I am about to take delivery on my 2019, 212X, this thread is making my asshole pucker up. I looked up Wisconsin (for any of my peeps reading this), looks like Wisconsin does have a "lemon law" on the books, however it doesn't state "watercraft" or "boat", but it doesn't say they are not covered. Looks like (not a lawyer) we might be covered under the "other motor-driven vehicle"...

What vehicles are covered?The law covers any new car, truck, motorcycle or motor home, or other motor-driven vehicle, including demonstrator or executive-driven vehicles thatare purchased, leased,or transferred to a consumer in Wisconsin. It does not cover vehicles purchased in other states or via theinternet that are delivered outside Wisconsin.
The law does not apply to mopeds, semitrailers or to trailers designed for use in combination with a truck or a truck tractor.Qualifying heavy duty vehicles that have agross vehicle weight rating or actual gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds, such as trucks and busses, are treated differently under the law. A person can lose the benefits of the lemon law for such vehicles if that person enters into a negotiated written settlement with the manufacturer.

Link: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/dmv/shared/lemonlawafter.pdf

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, admins, not sure if we do, but do you think it would be advantageous to create a "lemon law" thread where everyone can post their states lemon laws and how they may have navigated them?