• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Yamaha AR210 vs. 212 Limted S ??

Terrapinjam99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello ,

Perspective first time Yamaha / first time jetboat purchaser here . Focusing on either AR210 or 212 Limited S. Currently have a 2008 Chaparral 210 SSi with 5.0 Merc. Looking for comments and info on the "TR-1" 3 cylinder engines that come in this model . How long have those engines been used by Yamaha? How much HP are they rated at ? Would 2 of those ( in these 21 footers) be enough power ? What do you think my top speed would be in the AR210 ? ( I have watched the Boat Test reviews , but am looking for real life users comments ) ( I dont even know much history of these Yamaha 21 " models , and what engines might have been used in them previously ) How would a pair of these engines compare to a pair of the 1.8 HO engines that come in the 212 Limited S ? I like everything about the AR210 , but am very worried that the AR210 will be under powered with the TR-1s . I will usually have at least 4 adults in the boat , tubing , skiing , wake boarding . But by the same token , I am worried about the 1.8 engines reliability ( being supercharged and intercooled ) - as they are much more complicated engines . I am very intrigued and excited about switching over to this new jet boat technology . Thank you all very much , in advance , for any and all input .

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
where are you located ? maybe some member will take you out on his boat.
I think the 212 has the safer tower if I am not mistaken. As far as I know the 1.8HO are awesome. At least mine are fine. I do not think they are ( being supercharged and intercooled ) . But I am sure @Julian and @swatski will chime in with their input.

Did you get a chance to reach on the forum, there is a LOT of info. like really a LOT.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Only the 19' 192 and 195 boats use the supercharged 1.8L.

There are a few members on here who have the newer TR1's. Perhaps they will chime in. I want to say Yamaha introduced the TR1's on the waverunner PWC's in 2015. I'm sure someone will confirm. You can probably learn more about their reliability on PWC forums but I don't think I've heard of any issues making it this way yet. I don't follow PWC forums to know much more about them and they are still new here so not a lot we know unless you follow PWC forums.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome @Terrapinjam99 You are at the right place to investigate jetboating as you will get honest feedback from real people using their boat.
We have not yet received a great deal of input concerning the TR-1 motors. It is probable that the performance is similar to the engines used in previous years. If you are looking at surfing with a heavily ballasted boat you should probably consider the 212 with the 1.8. The motor has been around for years and won't give you any problem.
Have you considered a used Yamaha? There are few problems with these boats and you could save some money.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Went through this exact self debate last year. Ended up going with the 212 limited S. Engines, tower, seating and electronic all superior. I believe these are the same motors in all 24 ft boats and they move those boats well. No super charger or intercooler just the HO models

Slack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was shopping for an AR210 as well with the intent of upgrading the stereo among other things. I really liked the 2017 in blue. I was concerned with the power and longevity of the TR-1 motors. I've read mixed reviews of the power ratio but it's all perspective at the end. I ended up going with the 212 LTD S because I found a new 2017 at a price that I couldn't turn down. I don't plan to run at full throttle but I now have the peace of mind that I have the power when I need it. The fact that I don't have to push the engines near their capabilities ensures the longevity. Just looking at the twin 1.8 is worth it to me as they are beautiful machinery. I don't regret it one bit. If you can find a new 2017 LTD S for a discounted price, it may make your decision a little easier as it did for me.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 AR210 and have no issues whatsoever pulling a tube or wakeboarder with 4-5 people in the boat. I was a little concerned as well about the performance prior to purchasing but have been well pleased. It does not have quite the top speed of the 1.8l engines, but the low end torque to pull boards and tubes is more than adequate. Fuel economy is better than I expected as well. As for reliability I cannot say as I have only owned the boat for about 9 months, but so far I have had no issues.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Ghinson95 has a 212 Limited S...maybe he'll chime in. Really awesome looking boat.

The 212's are probably 5-8 mph faster than the 210's, but I'm guessing the 210's are a good bit more efficient (if you care about that...I don't). If money wasn't an issue, there is no doubt which one I'd get...the 212 S is a great looking boat and I'd want the extra power, better interior and better tower.

Most here will disagree with me, but I'd rather have a 212 over a 242 Limited S. They have the same beam and the vast majority of the extra space is in front of the windshield. I consider that a kid zone anyway so I'd rather have the 250 lb lighter boat instead of 33" of kid space. Of course, I can't ever imagine needing to carry 12 on the boat either.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@H2OBoy Thank you for your feedback. We need to hear from guys with newer 210 models. Have you tried surfing with it?
I share your feelings @DBamaC .My 212 is all I need and don't have any desire to go to a 24' boat.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those are a couple of nice finds @OCMD

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any 21 ft w/rudder members have recommendations if steering assist devices are needed? Pretty sure going to purchase cobra fins they seem to help the transition from IO/ stern drive to jet. My main reason for wanting before trying without is the place I boat most is a river with current so don’t want to lose my mind or ruin my honeymoon phase of the new boat with horrible launch/ recovery operations.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@H2OBoy Thank you for your feedback. We need to hear from guys with newer 210 models. Have you tried surfing with it?
I share your feelings @DBamaC .My 212 is all I need and don't have any desire to go to a 24' boat.
I feel the same way only thing I wish ours had was the storage behind platform seats.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Augieol65 Try it out first without fins, you may discover that these boats handle very well, once you get it down. No thrust? No direction. Thrust? Direction. It doesn't get any simpler than that. And we boat primarily in a river. My current and 2d Yamaha came with the fins installed; I tried 'em out a day and off they came the next. I noticed no difference in handling with than without. None. Then again, I had about 6 years experience on jets.

Terrapinjam99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
where are you located ? maybe some member will take you out on his boat.
I think the 212 has the safer tower if I am not mistaken. As far as I know the 1.8HO are awesome. At least mine are fine. I do not think they are ( being supercharged and intercooled ) . But I am sure @Julian and @swatski will chime in with their input.

Did you get a chance to reach on the forum, there is a LOT of info. like really a LOT.
Thanks for the feed back ! And yes , you are correct the engines in the 212 Limited S are regular 1.8 HO - not the other 1.8 " Super Vortex" HO .
Do you know how long that they have been putting the regular 1.8 HO into the Yamaha boats ?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
since 2011 for sure. Mine is a 2012 and it ha them and Amar had a 2011 and it had them.

Terrapinjam99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome @Terrapinjam99 You are at the right place to investigate jetboating as you will get honest feedback from real people using their boat.
We have not yet received a great deal of input concerning the TR-1 motors. It is probable that the performance is similar to the engines used in previous years. If you are looking at surfing with a heavily ballasted boat you should probably consider the 212 with the 1.8. The motor has been around for years and won't give you any problem.
Have you considered a used Yamaha? There are few problems with these boats and you could save some money.
Thanks . Yes , the 212 Limited S is exactly what I want ....... but wow they are expensive for a 21 footer and the 2 dealers that at least one in stock will NOT move off of the sticker price . Just crazy , as I have never purchased a boat for straight out retail price .

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
welcome to YamahaLand.
My dealer was very straight forward about it " if you want a discount please look for another brand. the best I can do is $200 or $300 off MSRP" :eek:
What is this Walmart ?

Terrapinjam99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was shopping for an AR210 as well with the intent of upgrading the stereo among other things. I really liked the 2017 in blue. I was concerned with the power and longevity of the TR-1 motors. I've read mixed reviews of the power ratio but it's all perspective at the end. I ended up going with the 212 LTD S because I found a new 2017 at a price that I couldn't turn down. I don't plan to run at full throttle but I now have the peace of mind that I have the power when I need it. The fact that I don't have to push the engines near their capabilities ensures the longevity. Just looking at the twin 1.8 is worth it to me as they are beautiful machinery. I don't regret it one bit. If you can find a new 2017 LTD S for a discounted price, it may make your decision a little easier as it did for me.

Thank you for the input . The 212 Limited S is exactly what I am looking for . And , YES , those 2 1.8s sitting in that engine bay look fantastic !!!

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
47,429 totally is what we paid in October for our 2017 212 LTD s with full Yamaha fabric cover.