• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 Limited SE - Bimini Cover Question

mattbennett31

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
General question... I’m a new boater / Yamaha owner. Seems like the Bimini cover is very cumbersome to put on. Once on and secure do the Velcro flaps go around a pole on the rack or is it just used as protection from the ratchet? Dealer did not show me placement of the cover after I took delivery and they are currently shut down due to the virus. If anyone has some pics they can share of proper placement and install that would be very beneficial to me. I do not see placement instructions in the owner’s manual. Thanks for you help! Love my boat, but will love more once I figure all of it out.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Going to the lake this weekend... will try to get pics for you then.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There should be 2 flaps, one specifically for the ratchet and the other BIG flap does go over the frame and covered ratchet. It's not too bad once take it off and on once.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here's a pic of the what I assume is the (outer) flap you talking about. As mentioned, there's a smaller one that wraps around the wratchet to keep the metal off the paint inside. Hope this helps!
20190817_132651.jpg

mattbennett31

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the info... I couldn't get mine to look as clean as AmesJainchill. Here's what mine looked like. When I Velcro one side there was no way the other side would get close to velcroing. I just ended up using the velcro flap to stow the ratchet and flap. I'll keep working on it to get proper fit.cover.jpg

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The fit can be a little wonky for lack of a better term, but of course we're not talking about Formula levels of QC here. :) I had an extra pair of hands to help get things tightened up and still had some imperfections on the fit (one twist in the strap that goes around the whole bimini, and the canvas not pulling down quite as far as it should on the sides). Could fix the twist if I had the patience, but I don't think in my case the canvas will ever pull down perfectly as far as it should.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
using @mattbennett31 picture, I take my strap around that lower knuckle. Then when ratcheting down, that will pull the canvas tight and down. This may help you get it evened up on both sides. See if you can make heads or tails from this crude edit. (obviously, you're not coming all the way around the big tower tube.) So, over the outside of the lower bar on the left side, then come down, inside that knuckle and back up toward the right where the 2 ends connect.

cover2.jpg

mattbennett31

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK... I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here are a few close-ups I took last fall before taking mine off and storing for the winter. I knew that when spring rolled around (if it ever does) I would forget how it was originally installed? Yes , the big flap starts on the outside of tower and comes under then in to velcro. Hope it helps ?

Attachments

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here are a few close-ups I took last fall before taking mine off and storing for the winter. I knew that when spring rolled around (if it ever does) I would forget how it was originally installed? Yes , the big flap starts on the outside of tower and comes under then in to velcro. Hope it helps ?
Awesome pics... this is what I do, too. I took pics when I took delivery while still at the dealer... but they didn't really turn out that good.

Sometimes I worry about rubbing against that rubber grommet... but I still always do it that same way.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking at @WildCatFan54 first picture.
Mine routes the same way, and I don’t like it rubbing on that grommet either.
It seems like a small vibration would make it rub and chafe that wiring harnesses.
If anybody know a better way, I’m all ears (eyes).

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey neighbor! I'm up North of Tulsa, boat on Skiatook.

I can also tell you that it helps if the cover is warm/hot.

mattbennett31

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey neighbor! I'm up North of Tulsa, boat on Skiatook.

I can also tell you that it helps if the cover is warm/hot.
We were on Skiatook last Wednesday when it was so warm. Boat most of the time on Hudson. Love Skiatook too. Will be headed to Grand quite a bit too.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmm, I’ve never seen that before. If you try that, let us know if you think that angle is too tight on the rearward side. It looks like the strap is going to pull too hard on that canvas. I could see that being a fail point where the stitches will wear out.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@mattbennett31 that routing is not correct. Strap will slip off and your Bimini will be flapping in the wind. Follow the routing @BigAbe75 and @WildCatFan54 gave you above. I have the same top and am in agreement with them!

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The boat at the dealership is definitely not right. In addition to putting more strain on strap and seams in the fabric (as noted by @Pipbecks and @BigAbe75) the ratchet is on the outside of passenger compartment ?? By bringing the rear port side strap in just above electrical connector (pic #2) it will allow for wraping the ratchet in its pouch and tucking inside the big flap. I know it all sounds confusing but will be obvious when you get inside your boat.