• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 Limited SE Connext GPS Issue (Boat thinks it’s in TN)

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are a few posts related to GPS issues with the Connext systems, but most of them involve displaying an error. Since picking up my 2019 242 Limited S E series, my GPS map still thinks the boat is on Lake Vonore, where I assume the factory techs started it up (I am unfortunately not in Tennessee, but Ohio)

Dealer suggested hard reset, plugging and unplugging GPS antenna, neither of which worked. I downloaded service manual and found the diagnostic screen, where there is a coordinate reading, so the GPS is communicating, but the coordinates did not correspond to anything meaningful.

Has anyone run into this on the newer connexts? Or Is my boat having an identity crisis and refusing to accept that it’s going to have to deal with the long Ohio winters?

Either way, dealer will be looking at it in a few weeks under warranty, but wanted to see if this was a common issue like the engine hours reset.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you get this issue resolved? I'm watching for anyone having issues with the Connext, hoping there is a new update from the dealer that will fix multiple issues. Mine being hours out of sync.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A picture of the GPS info from the diag. screen may help some here. I would take it to you dealer. If you want to troubleshoot yourself, the first step is to check for loose terminals in the connectors and power. You should have 12 volts at the red and black wire to the GPS connector with the system on. The orange wire is for the actual NMEA0183 communication to the display. Check the terminal at location 25 in the display connector. More than likely it is a loose terminal at the display connector.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wanted to bring resolution to this thread, Covid and Yamaha parts backorder delayed things quite a while. Brought boat to dealer pre-covid, they diagnosed defective GPS antenna (the puck in front of windshield). There was no stock in the US warehouse, had to wait months for shipment to come in from overseas. I picked up the boat to use while I was waiting for it to come in, and since the part is plug and play, I just asked dealer to send me the part when it came in.

Swapped the antenna out the other night (took all of 5 minutes) and GPS started working immediately on start up. Really enjoyed using all the GPS enabled features I’ve been missing.

KrodWhodat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased the 2019 242SE limited. Is the factory gps good or do I need to start looking for an add on. I love reading about the Bahamas trips on here and was wondering if anyone uses the factory one or an upgrade

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The GPS is good , it’s accurate, but is pretty basic depending on what you want to use it for. I usually have Navionics running on my phone next to it when I’m in a bigger body of water, it’s nice being able to drop a pin and have navionics auto-route you to a point. The stock GPS allows you to drop a number of pins but that’s pretty tedious.

I’d hold off on buying an expensive chart plotter and try the stock one first, maybe try navionics on your phone to compliment it, and then decide if you want to drop an extra 1k on a plotter. Unless you want a fishfinder, then go ahead and make the upgrade!

KrodWhodat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The GPS is good , it’s accurate, but is pretty basic depending on what you want to use it for. I usually have Navionics running on my phone next to it when I’m in a bigger body of water, it’s nice being able to drop a pin and have navionics auto-route you to a point. The stock GPS allows you to drop a number of pins but that’s pretty tedious.

I’d hold off on buying an expensive chart plotter and try the stock one first, maybe try navionics on your phone to compliment it, and then decide if you want to drop an extra 1k on a plotter. Unless you want a fishfinder, then go ahead and make the upgrade!
I just downloaded Navionics and will put it in the phone holder and use both to see how it works

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My GPS has been dead since my first ride on my 2020 242SE. It’s in for service now. I’m hoping the puck replacement works. I’ll keep you posted. I hadn’t heard of Navionics app so I will get that. Thanks.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@bobholthaus what symptoms did you have? Did the map display on your connext but location was simply wrong/didn’t change? That’s what happened with mine and as long as there are gps pucks in stock in the US, should be a quick fix.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@bobholthaus what symptoms did you have? Did the map display on your connext but location was simply wrong/didn’t change? That’s what happened with mine and as long as there are gps pucks in stock in the US, should be a quick fix.
Yes that’s it exactly. Stuck in Lake Michigan while happily enjoying the Illinois River by St. Louis!!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just purchased the 2019 242SE limited. Is the factory gps good or do I need to start looking for an add on. I love reading about the Bahamas trips on here and was wondering if anyone uses the factory one or an upgrade
The factory maps are very basic, but there is a micro-SD card in the back that can be updated online with Navionics data to give you a lot more info and it's exactly the same data as Navionics. I've updated my card and I now get much more detail over the stock setup. Not as detailed with depths as Navionics or a chartplotter, but it's good enough that I won't need to renew my Navionics app subscription:

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@bobholthaus i’m sure the gps puck will fix the issue. If they’re backlogged and can’t get around to fixing it, just have them give you the part. It’s a 5 minute job. Disconnect the connector, unscrew two nuts from under the puck, screw new one back in place, reconnect. Done!

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@bobholthaus i’m sure the gps puck will fix the issue. If they’re backlogged and can’t get around to fixing it, just have them give you the part. It’s a 5 minute job. Disconnect the connector, unscrew two nuts from under the puck, screw new one back in place, reconnect. Done!
Thank you. I’ll do that!