• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 LSE engines hours out of sync BAD!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If these are all E-Series boats having this problem. Has anyone checked how many hours they have been running in "single throttle" mode, or whatever that is called.

I can see an easy software bug if the Connext is tracking hours on its own, outside of the ECM. Basically only counting hours if the throttle lever is pushed forward, and if you're using a single lever, then it's only seeing a single throttle "forward", and not counting time for the lever not being used.

I don't have an E-Series, or even a second throttle lever for that matter, but it's a thought.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Strange ! FYI , mine are exactly the same with only 3.6 hours on the boat BUT I have not engaged throttle sync yet ?? Do you use single throttle mode a lot ?
99.9% of the time on single throttle.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
99.9% of the time on single throttle.
On single throttle mode, the port engine throttle is the one being used and in my case, the port engine hours are the ones not registering.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same thing happened on my 2019 LSE. At 9.2 hours the Port engine reset to Zero. Scared the crap out of me at first but I keep a pretty detailed log book, noted it and have tracked ever since.
Dealer tells me the Connext system tracks engine hours separate from the ECU (or at least tries to). Will be having them fix in the off season.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same thing happened on my 2019 LSE. At 9.2 hours the Port engine reset to Zero. Scared the crap out of me at first but I keep a pretty detailed log book, noted it and have tracked ever since.
Dealer tells me the Connext system tracks engine hours separate from the ECU (or at least tries to). Will be having them fix in the off season.
You say you will be having it fixed in the off season with such confidence, does that mean you have been told by the dealer that they can correct the hours to read accurate with engines and that they will be able to prevent future hour discrepancies? Tek4fun --- said a new software update would be needed to correct this issue.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No specific promises made by the dealer, but I’m going to remain hopeful that the software update gets pushed out before next May 😬

Honestly this issue doesn’t bother me all that much because I keep a pretty detailed hours and service log, the one that’s been driving me NuTs is the GPS issue I posted about earlier today. If they can’t fix that I’ll be pissed!

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That answer is yes. They should be rolling out a new software update campaign to fix what causes the discrepancy within the next couple of months and I heard they are working on a tool to set the engine hours. I have no exact date when all this will be rolled out but it is suppose to be coming.
Hi, just checking to see if you have heard anything on an update. It has been over two months, and I'm hoping.

Jghale

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Anyone heard any more news about this?

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat shows crazy mismatched hours in Connext (like others, I think it's because of throttlesync software bug).
You can check on the 'real' ECU hours in a hidden menu. Push and hold the settings button.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Go on, then what? Do the engines need to be running?

Last edited:

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Go on, then what? Do the engines need to be running?
Press and hold the gear icon to get to diagnostics screen. Don't know for sure if engines need to be running but I don't think they do.
My boat is winterized; maybe if you check you can let us know if engines have to be running or not. :)

Jghale

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Press and hold the gear icon to get to diagnostics screen. Don't know for sure if engines need to be running but I don't think they do.
My boat is winterized; maybe if you check you can let us know if engines have to be running or not. :)
Nope. My engine hours don’t show. I just get a series of x’s and then Random letters and a number.
I literally have no exact idea of how many hours I’m on. That’s pitiful.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nope. My engine hours don’t show. I just get a series of x’s and then Random letters and a number.
I literally have no exact idea of how many hours I’m on. That’s pitiful.
Same here, I have been to that settings button many times in the past, but I was hoping for having missed something but no luck here.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good News guys !! About a month ago , knowing that I was looking at a 2 week business trip and would not be using my boat , I contacted my dealer about bring it in while I was gone ? It needed the 10 hour service (no biggie) , but I had the dreaded BCU error the previous two outing when turning the wheel full lock and shifting from forward to neutral / reverse which is also well documented on this forum , and the engine hours out of balance when operating throttles in sync mode. Both issues have been FIXED but I will only detail the engine hours on this thread. There IS a firmware update for Connex. It is version 39 and it works !! The only bad part is the dealers can not do it. The Connex must be removed from boat dash and sent to Kennesaw , Ga. They flash the unit and send back to the dealer. I was on the lake this past Wednesday and put it to the test. Got both engines exactly the same hours , down to the tenths , within 3 seconds of each other. Put both engines in neutral and activated throttle sync. Ran at 6000 RPMs (about 33mph) for 1 hour. Both engines showed exactly 1 hour more and changed tenths about 3 seconds apart. Well satisfied with the update.

Gump1976

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I have this same issue. Bought the boat used with the engines several hours different. If anything the difference has increased more. I'm in need of that firmware update. Thanks for the info.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great news @WildCatFan54 this has been a nagging issue on mine, I’ll wait for the end of the season and get this fixed. How long did it take To get the reflash done?

Are you going to post what the fix was for the ecu error in another thread? Do you have fins/thrust vectors on your boat? I’m wondering if this has contributed, as I have not had the issue once in nearly 50 hours.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@pipbecks , My dealer sent the Connex next day UPS to Yamaha in Kennesaw , Ga. and Yamaha told him they would ship it back next day air ? Both of those things happened however it took them about 7 days from receipt to do the reflash !! In my case it really did not matter because I was not going to be using the boat anyway. I didn't want to hijack this thread by bringing up the BCU error but I will say that it was a steering cable adjustment and ONLY a steering cable adjustment. I was told it had nothing to do with throttle ? I do have CJS AK19 Magnum steering on the boat but neither the dealer or Yamaha placed blame on that. I have tried on several occasions since getting the boat back to force the BCU error but seems like they got it fixed ?? Knock on wood.

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any news on what other things (if any) the new firmware update fixed?