• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 AR195 wear ring replacement?

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone personally replaced the wear rings in one of the newer style pumps?
I have terrible cavitation from the hole shot and with the boat loaded I can barely get the boat up to speed to plane. If I gun the throttle while trying to plane the pump will just cavitate and slow back down.

I cant tell if the plastic (teflon?) liner in the housing is easily replaceable or if I have to buy the whole housing? Partzilla list it as;

And its 174$? Seems kinda pricey for a peice of plastic and if thats what it costs I'd probably just go with the stainless unit?

Thanks guys

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is definitely the right part. However, it shouldn't be plastic. Stock one is metal as well. Doesn't say in description material type (weird). So I'd have to assume that one is stainless replacement as well.

So here's an ebay link to a stainless wear ring......

Another one not on eBay (in case you don't like eBay)....

To remove your stock ring obviously disassemble the pump to the transom. I did a full write up on how to do this here:

Once you have everything striped down (including impeller off shaft).... Set your housing flat on ground shaft facing up. Pack inside the wear ring with dry ice (this will shrink the wear ring). Once shrunk it'll slide right out. To install new wear ring use dry ice again to shrink new wear ring and slide it in. Allow wear ring to expand (24 hours should do it), and install new impeller. Not a horrible job at all, but not changing spark plugs either.

I know I answered your questions on my write up, but figured I'd put answer here as well. When I did mine there wasn't much info on the 2019+ boats so the more that's out there the easier it will be on future boaters 😎

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Hoyt, you are so helpful. Thank you so much!

Phang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
That is definitely the right part. However, it shouldn't be plastic. Stock one is metal as well. Doesn't say in description material type (weird). So I'd have to assume that one is stainless replacement as well.

To remove your stock ring obviously disassemble the pump to the transom. I did a full write up on how to do this here:

Once you have everything striped down (including impeller off shaft).... Set your housing flat on ground shaft facing up. Pack inside the wear ring with dry ice (this will shrink the wear ring). Once shrunk it'll slide right out. To install new wear ring use dry ice again to shrink new wear ring and slide it in. Allow wear ring to expand (24 hours should do it), and install new impeller. Not a horrible job at all, but not changing spark plugs either.

I know I answered your questions on my write up, but figured I'd put answer here as well. When I did mine there wasn't much info on the 2019+ boats so the more that's out there the easier it will be on future boaters 😎

I put dry ice on my wear ring and it would budge. How long did you do it for?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put dry ice on my wear ring and it would budge. How long did you do it for?
Responded to your pm. It could be different for everyone. Brandon here didn't use ice at all to pull his. Just vice grips and a rubber mallet. Check this thread for more info......

Phang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Responded to your pm. It could be different for everyone. Brandon here didn't use ice at all to pull his. Just vice grips and a rubber mallet. Check this thread for more info......
I was running the boat after a rock went through the impeller. Would you think that cause the plastic/rubber around the ring to melt and sort of glue to the housing? I pack the dry ice right in and it’s extremely cold but it wouldn’t budge.

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was running the boat after a rock went through the impeller. Would you think that cause the plastic/rubber around the ring to melt and sort of glue to the housing? I pack the dry ice right in and it’s extremely cold but it wouldn’t budge.
Not sure if a rock would melt it or not. I guess it could from friction. I've heard of the ring giving people a struggle to get it out, and others it comes right out. You may need to take the part to the dealer or a jet ski mechanic if you can't get it

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys run your boats in salt water at all? I have a suspicion that mine came out easy because there was no salt water corrosion between the ring and the housing.

If tapping it out with a rubber mallet didn't work and you had a basic selection of tools I think you could probably drill some holes in the ring around the part that sticks out of the housing and either use a screwdriver and block of wood as a fulcrum to pry it out or if you can support the housing use a chisel to tap it out of the housing with a hammer.

Phang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Do you guys run your boats in salt water at all? I have a suspicion that mine came out easy because there was no salt water corrosion between the ring and the housing.

If tapping it out with a rubber mallet didn't work and you had a basic selection of tools I think you could probably drill some holes in the ring around the part that sticks out of the housing and either use a screwdriver and block of wood as a fulcrum to pry it out or if you can support the housing use a chisel to tap it out of the housing with a hammer.
No salt water. Only in MN fresh water lakes. A rock ran right through the whole system and damage the impeller. I’ve just running the boat with a broken impeller. The Yamaha service guy told me that when you run a broken impeller, it cause a lot of heat so I don’t know if that rubber around the sleeve melted and got glue to the housing. Maybe I may have to cut it and try to pry it out

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have it apart or no? Granted anything is possible but if a rock went through it and broke the impeller I can only assume that a jagged edge of the impeller could score into the wear ring and until it made its own clearance and then that would be the end of it. Also with such a huge amount of water flowing through I don't think it could get very hot. I'm not sure if the 2 O rings that go inside the housing are available for purchase but if they are you could use a small tool like a Dremel with a cut off wheel and just cut it out. you could potentially gouge the housing a little but those O rings are really the only thing that seals the ring in the housing so its not a huge deal. But even if you wanted to you could fill anything in with JB weld and sand it out once it cures.

Phang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Done! Took it to my mechanic and he got it out in less than 10 mins with a chisel and piler. Already install back and waiting to go test it out. Thanks guys!