• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Scarab 195id Engine Failure

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
All,
Just looking to see if anyone has had an issue with their Rotax engine. I have a 2019 that I bought new in May 2020. Had it about 3 years with only 31 hours on the engine. 3 years and one month to be exact. It has had 2 oil changes.
In June I was pulling the kids on a tube and the engine just lost power. I shut it down, pulled the kids in and tried to restart. It acted like there was a rope in the intake. Turned over for a sec then stopped. I got it towed to my dock then to the boat landing. Checked for something in the intake and it was clean. Brought it to my dealer who got it to turn over for 2 seconds then lost power like I described and showed the same symptoms I had. They are saying that something broke free and destroyed the engine and the turbo charger. Has anyone had an issue like this? Waiting on Scarab to say if it will be covered under warranty. Been waiting to verify a month now. Of course warranty is 3 years or 480 hours. Any assistance would be grateful. Thank you.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I watch a lot of Scarab threads. This type of failure is very rare. Also "something broke free and destroyed the engine and turbo charger" (btw, it's called a super charger, turbos are a different device) is pretty vague. Would be lovely to know what actually happened.

Hopefully BRP/Scarab stands by their product and is willing to get this fixed if it is indeed a mechanical failure of some sort beyond your control.

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I watch a lot of Scarab threads. This type of failure is very rare. Also "something broke free and destroyed the engine and turbo charger" (btw, it's called a super charger, turbos are a different device) is pretty vague. Would be lovely to know what actually happened.

Hopefully BRP/Scarab stands by their product and is willing to get this fixed if it is indeed a mechanical failure of some sort beyond your control.
The shop won't dissect it until they get clearance from Scarab so they can't say what it was yet.

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
what motor is it?

Jonathan.stred

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
what motor is it?
Rotax 300 SGL I believe. The tag in my owners info says 300 HP single engine. It's still at the shop so I cannot go check it.

Last edited: