• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 sx190 water intrusion at the jet unit mount

Joshpearo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope this serves as useful information, after noticing the bilge pump kicking in very often, I decided to start troubleshooting the issue, so i waited until winter.
I put the plugs on and started to fill the engine bay with water , 5 minutes later noticed my plugs leaking, and the jet pump where it joints the hull Bottom right, a couple drops where the shaft goes (shaft was removed to service the swollen housing sleeve rubbing the impeller).
after taking the housings out ,removing the last one was very hard with the silicone it had. What I discovered was a thick layer of aluminum oxide, pushing the housing out and leaving a big clearance allowing water to come in through the steering cable opening, aside from the plugs being shot.
I'm now waiting for the impeller housing (which ETA delivery at partzilla is June 2024 ) to arrive to put everything together.
My thoughts are maybe I should sandblast this housing and powder coat to prevent this from happening again, but how effective that will be? not sure, also i've been searching on the repair manual what kind of silicone or sealant should be used when reassembled but I don't find anything.
Any suggestions are welcome, a still have a few months to figure this one out.
I will post some pictures of what it looks like tomorrow

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good for you for noticing the bilge coming on more than normal

I’d like a better picture or arrow to know where the water was coming in or what that space looked like, we’ve not heard of that happening before

Joshpearo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been thinking about sealing it with "Sika Sikaflex 291" Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm trying to stay away from stuff like 5200 which is hard to remove in case i have to deal with something like this again.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for the pictures, we've not really seen that problem pop up before, I wonder if it had a bad seal from the factory and just became worse over time ??

most members use 3m 4200 for things that might have to be removed in the future,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looking in my manual for a 2007 it appears that you should just use silicone

1707492906565.png

1707492968013.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
thanks for the pictures, we've not really seen that problem pop up before, I wonder if it had a bad seal from the factory and just became worse over time ??

most members use 3m 4200 for things that might have to be removed in the future,
Agree, I used 4200 with replacing my steering cable and sealed from the inside. Sticky as all hell, but it worked. I did notice that my original steering cable was sealed with a massive amount of silicone.

Joshpearo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looking in my manual for a 2007 it appears that you should just use silicone

View attachment 214930

View attachment 214931

Thanks for the info, I sandblasted the plate but it seems I might want to order me a new one, i don't know why the annode didn't do it's job, Might be a good idea to add another in the inside behind the plate.
aside from that I don't know why partzilla has the plate facing the other way.
NTI4Nzg2OA-28b4a5b7.png

Last edited:

Joshpearo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on my little experience with metals , normally marine aluminum is anodized aluminum, which is a coating, once that coat gets removed, salt will go for the aluminum, that tells me if put that piece again it get chewed by the salt, maybe powder coating buys me some time. I'm open to suggestions.

20240212_134650.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
add a zinc anode sand blast it ,prime it and undercoat it with spray undercoating or bed liner coating but be sure the anode is not painted and has a good connection to the metal

Joshpearo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
add a zinc anode sand blast it ,prime it and undercoat it with spray undercoating or bed liner coating but be sure the anode is not painted and has a good connection to the metal
Thanks, I went with powder coating (I Offer the service) and 3m marine silicone sealant hoping it gives me at couple extra years

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other