• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 212s mini review

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
There is a lot about it on here, especially regarding how much you put in. Have you greased you cone bearing or have plans to at next oil change?

chesterrfc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Afternoon all......where would I find a list of things to do on the 10hr service?

Also...had a bit of an issue with the ballast fill where at 75% the centre hatch popped open on fill and broke the catch. WTF!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
toward the back of the owners manual there is a 10,50,100,200hr check list.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
toward the back of the owners manual there is a 10,50,100,200hr check list.
Also in the operating section, the manual mentions to grease the intermediate housing at 10 hours. Search for threads on it since there are lots of discussions. I had my dealer do the 10 hour and they greased them on my 212s.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I swear my 211S manula said grease the bearing at 100hrs. When I read that I was confused because my old Ar190 mantaince said grease at 10hr. I am going to double check tonight.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On page 174 of my 2020 212S manual the grease intermediate housing isn't checked till 100hrs. Is intermediate housing and bearing to different things?

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On page 174 of my 2020 212S manual the grease intermediate housing isn't checked till 100hrs. Is intermediate housing and bearing to different things?
It does not mention it in the service section. It's located on page 169 of the 2020 212 manual.
33.0 - 35.0 cc's at one month or 10 hours.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Crap your correct. On the maintenance check list page 174 what does intermediate housing mean?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
looks like I'm greasing my bearings this weekend. Hope 5 hrs past the 10hrs wont hurt.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Crap your correct. On the maintenance check list page 174 what does intermediate housing mean?
It's the same. Not sure why they use different terms in the same manual. They always called it the intermediate housing in my jetski manual.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
looks like I'm greasing my bearings this weekend. Hope 5 hrs past the 10hrs wont hurt.
My dealer told me to just do everything at 20 hours and replace the oil filter (weird the 10 hour service doesn't call for replacing the filter) as well since I couldn't do it at 10.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
TBH i don't buy half the stuff the dealer says for service. I have seen where a lot of the time they are completely wrong. Personally I wouldn't wait till 20, 12-15 is where I would do it and I replaced my filter, there is a bunch of particles in the oil wanted to get it all out.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
TBH i don't buy half the stuff the dealer says for service. I have seen where a lot of the time they are completely wrong. Personally I wouldn't wait till 20, 12-15 is where I would do it and I replaced my filter, there is a bunch of particles in the oil wanted to get it all out.
I definitely think some dealers are not knowledgeable. My dealer has been around for a long time, have sold Yamaha since they started making them, and are highly respected. I have no reason to doubt them.
The've serviced my Yamaha jetski for 10 years without issue.
In the end, I trust them am comfortable having them service my boat.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My dealer told me to just do everything at 20 hours and replace the oil filter (weird the 10 hour service doesn't call for replacing the filter) as well since I couldn't do it at 10.
The manual doesn't call for it, but mine were changed at the 10hr service when they did the oil change. I won't change them at the 50hr but will at the yearly or 100hr service. I'll also pump a few CC's of grease into the pump bearing.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the review. Our 2021 212s is at about 16 hours. Our dealer said between 10-20 hours for break-in oil change. Completely knowledgeable and trustworthy. We will be taking her in for first service soon. Probably only one short lake session before we do.

I love the idea of the SeaDek on the anchor locker and next to it upfront. Not sure if SeaDek has the new Suede color yet.

She’s definitely one of the nicest boats on our lake. Not necessarily the case when we go down to Lake of the Ozarks as it’s filled with half million dollar or more yachts. We couldn’t be happier and are sad the season is waning. My youngest son has tried a few flips on the wakeboard and he’s getting close to landing it. If not this season, likely in the Spring.

Edit: We’ve decided on a name. Going with my jetboaters handle - Jet Mania.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the review. Our 2021 212s is at about 16 hours. Our dealer said between 10-20 hours for break-in oil change. Completely knowledgeable and trustworthy. We will be taking her in for first service soon. Probably only one short lake session before we do.
You're welcome on the review. The first oil change is important to get the junk out after break-in, so we did it as soon as we could after the 10 hours. It was hard to leave her at the dealer for a week.
I love the idea of the SeaDek on the anchor locker and next to it upfront. Not sure if SeaDek has the new Suede color yet.
We don't load from the bow so it's not needed for us. Looks nice though. Definitely like having it on the walk-over areas. You can contact Will at JBP for an update on the colour. He's on these forums too.
She’s definitely one of the nicest boats on our lake.
We get compliments all the time - one woman said it was "pretty" and I had to correct her that it's "pretty mean". Forgot that boats are supposed to be ladies so calling her pretty is ok I guess! LOL And we've only seen one other Yamaha (SX230 I think) on the water around us so far. We did see a black and green (2018?) 212x last summer at the docks in Kingston, but nothing else so far. Seems Yamaha is more popular further north with the 19' models on lots of smaller lakes. Maybe we'll see more next year as a lot of boats didn't even hit the water this summer due to the COVID restrictions.
Not necessarily the case when we go down to Lake of the Ozarks as it’s filled with half million dollar or more yachts.
Same for the 1000 islands area from Kingston to Gananoque, lots of cruisers and high performance Fountains, Bajas, MTI's, etc. No poker runs this year either sadly.
We couldn’t be happier and are sad the season is waning. My youngest son has tried a few flips on the wakeboard and he’s getting close to landing it. If not this season, likely in the Spring.
Yup, winter is coming...but I think we can get a couple more weekends of pleasant enough weather to get out on the water before we have to put her to bed...I hope.
That's a good name...and suitable since it's a jetboat!
:thumbsup:

Millerj10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

She’s definitely one of the nicest boats on our lake. Not necessarily the case when we go down to Lake of the Ozarks as it’s filled with half million dollar or more yachts. We couldn’t be happier and are sad the season is waning. My youngest son has tried a few flips on the wakeboard and he’s getting close to landing it. If not this season, likely in the Spring.

What dealer did you go through to get your 2021 212s. I have been calling my dealer about getting one and they still didn't have any.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What dealer did you go through to get your 2021 212s. I have been calling my dealer about getting one and they still didn't have any.
I went through Surdyke Yamaha in Osage Beach, Lake of the Ozarks. Ask for Mason or Jonathan.

Augieol65

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the same boat, also in black and just hit 12 hours too. This is my first jet boat, but long time boater. I haven't had too many issues adjusting to the jet but having now docked and loaded the boat a handful of times, I think I may invest in one of the aftermarket options to improve reverse and slow speed control. I had the Stoltz roller put on at delivery, well worth it so far.

The hole shot power and response is impressive, it gets a 225 lb. guy out of the water on skis instantly. It does throw a lot of spray on tubers, I extended rope with a 10' extension that dramatically improved it. I see you hit almost 52 mph which is great. I've only been able to hit 44 mph so far but limited opportunities to get WOT for extended stretch of water. I didn't feel like it had a lot left though, so I'll have to check that out.

Couple of the early issues I've had, mostly minor.
-Both captain chairs had the underneath mounting bolts spin out while on the water. I'll probably use some loctite on them when I get a chance.
-2 of the side rear sound dampening foam sheets have peeled off the sidewall (way in back where it is really hard to reach). I'll probably try to get the dealer to climb in there, my body doesn't twist like that anymore.
-House battery doesn't charge from engine in standalone mode, only starting battery charges. I had to put in the emergency parallel mode to get both batteries charging from the engine. If I am understanding the user manual correctly, this isn't how it should be. It's going in for the 10hr oil change so I'll have that checked. Mine came with Interstate batteries.
-I had the Yamaha Slampak tower speakers/amp installed by dealer at pickup. They sound great, but I'm not thrilled with zone control between boat speakers and tower. The boat speakers are barely putting out anything at the point the tower gets overwhelming. Also have had a few hiccups between Connext screen and rear fusion deck becoming unresponsive communicating with eachother on volume control. Also realized I will need a sub. I'm not the guy blaring music for the whole sandbar, but definitely lacks low end with the tower.

Love the layout, space/storage, and performance so far. Lots of compliments on the water. Feels awesome to have one of the nicest boats on the water vs. The same old bow rider that everyone else is running.
Don’t know if you already got this fixed but I had the same issue on my 212.House battery wasn’t charging because the small black wire from the DSVR was never hooked up to the negative terminal of the battery. It was coiled up inside one of the gray switch covers. I love our 2017 212 Limited S. I’ve don’t quiet a bit to ours to make it work for us. Raw water wash down hose for the dogs and sand, hard plumbing an air pump with to the clean out tray for tubes, underwater lighting, docking lights, wetsounds sound bar + subwoofer + mid cabin speakers (We don’t even listen to music too loud but having a more full sound allows you to hear without increasing volume), hydrophase ride steady, Rokkwires less charger mount at the helm and rokk best wireless charger port side, additional courtesy lights..... I’m sure there is more. I have quite the list of spring projects once the weather breaks. We are replacing the snap in marine mat with seadek so I’ll offer those pads up on here if other 212 owners might need one. I believe I have figured out a way for me to add to the connext screen for bottoms my model didn’t come with ie docking lights, tower lights, shower that newer models might have in their connexts. Sorry for rambling haha!

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I used to have a 2015 242 LS which I overly upgraded...
I since upgraded to a 40' vessel. I am selling my boat and looking into the 212 S. I have two big questions:
1. How is the stereo sound quality and volume? I really don't feel like upgrading but I LOVE my music.
2. With the bridge collapsed, what it the height of the boat on the trailer from the floor to the highest point? My garage is 24' long but the height of the door concerns me. Can anybody help?

Thank you!