• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 242X Audio Line out? (Coax)

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@jacoviii thanks for all the help and pics. I hear you,your logic makes sense to me. I've had this sub in my last two boats and it performs very well in a comparment. It seems Wetsounds recommends different for some reason.

"The physics of sound tell us that any subwoofer increases its output when allowed to “load” into a wall, corner, or some other structure."
Yes when a sub loads in to a wall / corner in a room and you are in the same room. Cars are the nearly the same but a bit different.
When you put a sub in a box then but the sub-box in a fiberglass box and stand out side of it this is not the same. The output of the "loading" would need to be vented into the listening area. This would make it a 4th order band-pass. In a perfect word the fiberglass box will act as a passive radiator but this takes more math and tuning to be right.
With sub in a compartment you are hearing whatever the harmonic frequency of the fiberglass is not the note the sub is trying to hit.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I never understood why they dont make audio systems upgradable. We grew up with line in and line out connections . Imagine a boat party that would allow you to connect easily to your friends boat with a wire . Or add amplifiers to the line out

rycc449

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@jacoviii the AS-10 only needs an input for 3.5mm, looks like I can solder a RCA splitter into one channel, RCA adapter to 3.5mm etc.

With an input signal potentially split will this effect the line level for the OEM Sub?
IMG_20200328_151718_01.jpg

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You would start with something like this. Do not get too cheap of one cause the wires are to small of a gauge to work with.

or

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Now soldering the wires would be best but it is a tight fit. So something like this might work. But wire taps are frowned upon.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It will a bit the stock HU only puts out 2.5v to the RCAs. So you are splitting the single a bit but should be ok the OEM WS amp has a input sensitivity of 2v-6v

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I used Positaps into new wire and the RCA adapters, they are the lowest-loss wire taps. I noticed no loss in signal power, and the new amp sounds excellent.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Buckeye Fan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You won’t find any RCA outs to connect to, these models have a proprietary plug that repurposed all of the RCA wires into a modular plug straight from the back of the Fusion head unit on the swim deck. You will see this same plug going into your existing amps. Unfortunately, you’re going to have to slice and dice this to make it work.
Just did this on my 19 E to add a dedicated amp for the sub, what a difference!
you noticed a big difference adding an amp to the sub? I have a 19 X and I am removing the factory amp and adding 2 htx-6 amp to properly amplify everything I’m hoping this fixes it. I have very little bass for having a 10” sub

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Buckeye Fan Yes, night and day. A LOT more bass. And the plus side is it’s actually adjustable from the head unit and fusion app now. I noticed before that changing the equalizer, increasing or decreasing the bass had no perceptible effect. That’s because the head unit is trying to make the. Change, but it was going into the pre-programmed wet sounds amp, which just keeps it at whatever preset it came with. Now increasing and decreasing the sub level at the head unit actually makes a difference.

Buckeye Fan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Buckeye Fan Yes, night and day. A LOT more bass. And the plus side is it’s actually adjustable from the head unit and fusion app now. I noticed before that changing the equalizer, increasing or decreasing the bass had no perceptible effect. That’s because the head unit is trying to make the. Change, but it was going into the pre-programmed wet sounds amp, which just keeps it at whatever preset it came with. Now increasing and decreasing the sub level at the head unit actually makes a difference.
Great to hear! I’m about to do my amp swap this weekend. Do I need to run all new wire from all the speakers? Wasn’t sure if they did speakers in series on the 19 models or not

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure about series or not, I left the small speakers on the factory amp, so didn’t mess with that much. I used the factory wiring to the sub, the gauge looks a little light if you’re planning on pushing any serious power, but worked fine to take my 300W to the sub.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok here they are. They are balanced outputs from the head unit. You will see a small red & small black going into the same pin this is R+ ch5. The L+ is the same way but is white ch6. Look at the diagram to see your grounds for ch5 & ch6
If I were to tap those wires, do I need to tap both positive wires or just one? I’m unaccustomed to these three wire inputs.

Thanks!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes you need to use all 3 wires that are in each RCA channel. So 2+ 1- . What are your goals / what are you trying to do?

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes you need to use all 3 wires that are in each RCA channel. So 2+ 1- . What are your goals / what are you trying to do?
I’m looking for a line level sub signal to feed to a dedicated sub amp to power my factory sub and a matching one on the starboard side. Thanks for your help!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes just unhook the SUB signal wires from the HTX6 the amp does not use them anyways. When running the new sub wires pull the center cup holder out and you can get to the sub wire terminals. It is a bit of a PITA to get the stock sub out it uses bolts with lock nuts.

ElJefeClicko

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm trying to add a Wetsounds AS-10 subwoofer to my 2020 242X and cannot find a coax line out from the connext. And ideas? The sub is self powered so all I need is audio in.
First, thanks for all of the great info in this thread from those of you who've contributed. It's exactly what I was looking for, as I have the same model of boat and am looking to add the same sub.

@rycc449 , I'm curious...did your 242x include the 10" Wetsounds sub under the port side front seat? Mine did, but I find it inadequate, and I'm curious if adding the AS-10 dramatically enhanced your sound? If yours included it, did you leave it active in addition to the AS-10?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The stock 10" will actually sound good but it needs its own amp or a preamp bass line driver. I did a right up on how to make it sound better. https://jetboaters.net/threads/18-242-se-xe-212x-with-wet-sounds-amp-fusion-hu-getting-the-best-sound-with-near-stock-setup.26843/

If you just add a AS-10 you are leaving a lot of potential bass behind.
I used the RF PEQ because it was cheap $50 to test with. I just got a friends AudioControl The Epicenter concert series $159. With this it would be good bass for some people.

I a just got done installing a 1200w amp and a 2nd sub under the starboard captains seat.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The stock 10" will actually sound good but it needs its own amp or a preamp bass line driver. I did a right up on how to make it sound better. https://jetboaters.net/threads/18-242-se-xe-212x-with-wet-sounds-amp-fusion-hu-getting-the-best-sound-with-near-stock-setup.26843/

If you just add a AS-10 you are leaving a lot of potential bass behind.
I used the RF PEQ because it was cheap $50 to test with. I just got a friends AudioControl The Epicenter concert series $159. With this it would be good bass for some people.

I a just got done installing a 1200w amp and a 2nd sub under the starboard captains seat.
@jacoviii do you have pics of your second sub installation? Did you end up reinforcing the fiberglass in either location? I followed your pictures/advice and installed a dedicated amp (500w RMS) for my existing sub and am very pleased with the additional output and tuning control I now have. I was hesitant to install the second sub simply because there is a huge loomed wire bundle directly behind the spot I planned to put the sub. Any issues with that?

Thanks again for all of your research and help!

Last edited:

rycc449

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First, thanks for all of the great info in this thread from those of you who've contributed. It's exactly what I was looking for, as I have the same model of boat and am looking to add the same sub.

@rycc449 , I'm curious...did your 242x include the 10" Wetsounds sub under the port side front seat? Mine did, but I find it inadequate, and I'm curious if adding the AS-10 dramatically enhanced your sound? If yours included it, did you leave it active in addition to the AS-10?
Yes mine came stock with with the port side sub, the AS-10 was in addition. It did help with overall sound in my opinion, however an open air sub would perform the best. I installed the AS10 because I had it already before I purchased the boat.

The OEM Wet Sounds sub is not bad, it's just not tuned to it's max potential from the factory. 1st step is to download the fusion app to adjust the sub level.(you cannot do this from the head unit) If you haven't done this already you'll be surprised on the sound improvement.