• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 242X Ballast won't drain

ruggierom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi,
I realize there are several posts on 242X ballast issues \ questions. I have read them but still can't figure out my issue.
My problem is that I can't ever get the ski locker bag to fully drain.

What I've tried
1) Manually emptied the bag by opening up the plug and pushing out as much water as possible. Probably 5% left
2) In the calibration screen keep telling it to empty but that only works for about 10 seconds.
3) Holding down the down arrow on the Connext screen but that does not seem to keep the pump running

Questions
1) Is the drain\fill hose supposed to be on the top of the bag? Mine is
2) I've noticed that when the pump is running sometimes it makes a loud noise like maybe it's sucking in air but is possibly pinched. I've tried to reposition \ move the hose a bit but I'm not sure that is doing much
3) Any suggestions on how to get the bag to fully drain or what my next steps should be?

Thanks!
Michael

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Does the manual say anything about the expected percentage of drain? I believe I've read here that the Connext system fills / drains based on time alone. So you could consider trying to calibrate that by filling the bag but leaving the manual drain hole open, then when the system thinks it's full, manually push out a few gallons, so when it runs to empty it runs the same amount of time with less water.

However, now that i'm thinking about it, not sure if they leave some water in there for priming / pump health on transfers.

ruggierom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That’s a good idea. Thanks. The manual does not cover the ballast system and I didn’t get anything from WakeMakers.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The ski locker bag on my 2017 had a similar issue. The drain/fill line was on top. I flipped the bag over so that the line was on bottom and manual drain on top. I used the manual drain hole to push out excess air when the system thought it was full. Then calibrated again. It now fills completely, no issues. And when it pumps out, it looks shriveled like a raisin.

ruggierom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks I’ll try that.

ruggierom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The ski locker bag on my 2017 had a similar issue. The drain/fill line was on top. I flipped the bag over so that the line was on bottom and manual drain on top. I used the manual drain hole to push out excess air when the system thought it was full. Then calibrated again. It now fills completely, no issues. And when it pumps out, it looks shriveled like a raisin.
That worked!! Thanks!!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Ken Sherlaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Stewartsville NJ (Lake Wallenpaupack, PA)
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
More ballast issues. Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten good solutions with regard to getting factory bags and connext system to work the way it should (for the extra money spent to get the system)? I have 2019 with only about 25 hours on it. Pumps turn on and will push a bit of water into each bag but nowhere near full, only a couple of gallons in each bag before they say "full" and turn off. I've tried different positions of the bags and hoses. I've tried the system screen to calibrate but the max time is reached with bags only having a few gallons in each. And I've tried each one separately to deal with the possible issue of 3 pumps running off one inlet. Almost seems like main valve not opening completely or partially blocked? Would be under warranty of course but I don't want to lose the boat for weeks to get looked at until end of season. And from reading posts, it seems like this is a common problem that I wish I would have realized prior to purchasing the X. Just wondering if there is a solution besides bypassing the control and manually jumping power to the pumps to fill and empty the way the factory system SHOULD work. If that is the best solution how do people do that? It seems like there are some other 242X owners here that have systems that are working properly? Thanks in advance for anyones input.

Diybrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was having similar issues with mine but I was able to correct it using the calibration mode. My port bag only seems to get to 80% full with max pulses but the other two empty and full completely with no issues. I only fill one bag at a time for now as well. I think I am going to add a through hull for each pump at the end of the season. I know that doesn’t help your situation but it can definitely work right.

Ken Sherlaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good to hear it does actually work for some people. Gives me hope. I'd be happy with 80%. Can't help but think its got to be something to do with the intake shutoff valve. Difficult to do much with it since we keep it in the water for now. I did get the sea cock error the first time we put in the water but a complete reset of batteries/key "fixed" that. and I can get pumps to run but no significant water flow. Wouldn't think impeller issue since its a new boat and haven't run them very much beyond trying to fill and empty but who knows. Now looking into getting a supplemental overboard pump system that might connect to the factory bags so we can at least get them filled (and emptied) so we can actually start trying to do some wake surfing which is why we got the boat in the first place.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One tool that I would recommend is the ballast pump jumper cable sold here on the forums. It allows you to bypass Connext and run any of the pumps directly off a battery. This would let you isolate whether it's a physical problem (restricted intake, kinked hose, etc) or a Connext problem.

I was having the issue of my ski locker not draining completely but was able to figure out that because of the placement of the hose and bag, the pump would end up sucking the side of the bag into the hose and blocking it. Connext kept shutting off the pump before I was able to figure it out. With the jumper I was able to let the pump run while I wrestled with the bag and hose.

Here's a link to the cable:

I have no financial interest in it, just a happy customer.

Ken Sherlaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One tool that I would recommend is the ballast pump jumper cable sold here on the forums. It allows you to bypass Connext and run any of the pumps directly off a battery. This would let you isolate whether it's a physical problem (restricted intake, kinked hose, etc) or a Connext problem.

I was having the issue of my ski locker not draining completely but was able to figure out that because of the placement of the hose and bag, the pump would end up sucking the side of the bag into the hose and blocking it. Connext kept shutting off the pump before I was able to figure it out. With the jumper I was able to let the pump run while I wrestled with the bag and hose.

Here's a link to the cable:

I have no financial interest in it, just a happy customer.
Thanks for the reply. I saw the jumpers before but wasn’t sure they would work for 2019. Looks like someone says it works for 2018 so guessing it will. Will order as soon as I hear back from Cambo on availability and how to order. I was able to get locker bag empty by pulling it out and holding up while pump emptied it. The starboard bag is not emptying completely but I haven’t messed with it much. Get frustrated that it just doesn’t seem to work as designed but hopefully can get it working eventually. I like the mod Cambo did to the trailer bunk allowing access to the intake so will do that once I get trailer out of storage.

Ken Sherlaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have to say the ballast jumper cable is a must have. Works perfectly to fill or empty bags when factory system not working the way it should. Saves the day and well worth having as insurance. A little bit of a pain to have to open engine cover and switch the plugs around but a small inconvenience to be able to keep boating for the day. Also will be useful for putting in some RV antifreeze for winterizing when the time comes. Thanks again Cambo!