• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 255ID Engine Failure - 300HP

ScarabNoobie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hi, I am a first time boat owner and was very excited to buy the Scarab 255ID. To my surprise with less the 20hrs or just about two weeks, it apparently has an internal failure. I was cruising when suddenly the port side engine started cracking and a very ugly sound. At just about the same time I got a low oil pressure alert, I proceeded to shut down the engine and crawl to the dock on a single engine. At no moment during my outing did the temperatures exceeded what 170F, no other warning. I am now without a boat and having to wait at least two weeks before a dealer can get to inspect it. What a bad experience! Anyone here has any suggestions? Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a chain fail and the engine took several months to be replaced so relax it is not going to get fixed quickly , it is just the way it works. Sad but true.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Well that doesn't sound very good. Frankly, this sounds like just bad luck. Hopefully nothing too severe and they can get you back on the water quickly.

The only thing that comes to mind with your description is sucking up some sort of debris. Did you check the intake grate/impeller for anything?

Engines making a "cracking" sound isn't usually a good thing. Especially with low oil pressure.

ScarabNoobie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Well that doesn't sound very good. Frankly, this sounds like just bad luck. Hopefully nothing too severe and they can get you back on the water quickly.

The only thing that comes to mind with your description is sucking up some sort of debris. Did you check the intake grate/impeller for anything?

Engines making a "cracking" sound isn't usually a good thing. Especially with low oil pressure.
There was nothing visible. I am puzzled as to why the engine never got hot and why the sensor waits so long to kick in. By the time the engine is cracking you are literally screwed.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Probably because it's a problem unrelated to engine temperature. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is probably correct sadly. You probably have some more significant problem. Try to be patient. Such failures definitely don't happen often from what I've seen. Good luck and report back once you know more.

ScarabNoobie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Update - MarineMax believes the supercharger failed. Now the fun part begins with BRP and warranty approval.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Glad the problem is likely found. And confirms it has nothing to do with temp. I wish you the best and hopefully it's resolved as quickly as possible in these covid times. It took me quite a while to get some pretty basic parts a few months ago.

I think it's the first report I've seen of a failed supercharger in the 4 years I've been monitoring this forum and Facebook. So pretty rare thing to happen.