• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 AR240 Gelcoat Repair

Maxxam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a rock (or something similar) kick up on the highway and damage the gray colored gelcoat on the side of my AR240. The damage is no bigger in diameter than a pencil eraser tip but it is deep - almost the thickness of the side of the hull. I am assuming it is gray gelcoat and not paint. I may or may not have a professional do the touch up (and sanding / polishing). A pro 'may' be able to blend it in better than myself. Can anyone tell me where to purchase the smallest amount of the gray gelcoat? Or will a professional be able to source a small amount better than me?

Thanks!

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Maxxam

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spectrum should have the patch kit assume this is yours:

2020 Suede Gray Yamaha Gel Coat Patch Kit

Always verify it’s the right color though.
Thanks a bunch. I have never worked with gelcoat before whatsoever. Any tips? The kit version from Spectrum indicates that it is a paste. So some kind of prep (wipe down with alcohol?) and then 'spackle' it in? The damage is so small I'm not sure if it could/should be blended into the surrounding area for the best cosmetic results.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should add a picture of your damage on here so we can see it! There are some threads on here about gel coat repair even one with black or grey gel coat I can’t remember.. it’s fairly easy to work with, it’s a little time consuming though. Here’s a link with gel coat repair of a red boat:
Gel coat repair

what I did:

Used painters tape to tape off the area I would be adding the gel coat. the instructions on the repair kit while adding the hardener to the paste and mixing it. Used a putty knife to add it to the area and tried to make it as smooth as I could. Placed a plastic sandwich bag over it and let it harden for 48-72 hours, however long it says you have to. Then got wet sand paper, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, & 2000 grit. This is the part that is time consuming. I used a spray bottle to spray water and then sand. It looks worse at first while you’re doing it but keep the faith, it will get better as you move up in sand paper and then use compound and polish.

I really wanna say I think I used the 600 grit for a few times back and forth, then moved up to 800 a few times, then to 1000-1500 and 2000. I was so afraid of sanding too much I moved up to the lighter grit pretty quick.

It’s an involved process but it’s not anything you couldn’t handle especially the small area you have to fix. As long as you have the tools you can certainly do it, especially with the help of this forum from previous people doing it.