• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Scarab running through coolant

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hey there, so I searched all the forums but couldn’t really find anything so thought I would post. We have a brand new Scarab 255ID with less than 5 hrs on it and when we picked it up from dealer during my checks I noticed the coolant reservoir was low. Dealer made note of it said it prob wasn’t topped off, added fluid and we went on our way. Well today after an hr on the water opened engine comp again to check everything and reservoir was almost empty again. I check all the hoses, clamps and didn’t see coolant anywhere in engine compartment...wtf is going on? I took pictures and sent them to my dealer just to document everything real time. I really don’t want to regret my purchase especially after all the negative I’ve read on forum about Scarab. Thanks in advance for any help. I’m already planning on taking it in but if it’s something simple I would like to avoid that.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
After some more research could it have just been an air bubble or needed to “burp” itself? Especially since I don’t have any coolant leaking in engine compartment?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
A burp is better than a fart! Sure would stink if you needed a new engine. :winkingthumbsup"

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Exactly...lol. Going to refill and take it out for a short cruise and see what happens. Everything else is fine....well as far as I can tell.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
If it's a brand new boat, it's most probably air pocket being filled in. If after a few ride you still have the same issue, then I would ask the dealer to do a pressure test of the engine cooling system.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Ok. Thanks. Taking it out today so we will see what happens.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Refilled it one more time and took it out for couple hours everything seems to be normal. Guess it just needed to “burp”.

Seaboot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
What type of coolant is used in the Scarab Rotax engines?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Rotax recommend BRP 779150, but from what I have heard Scarab are using Standard Green coolant out of the factory. I would therefore use green if that's in your tank, or Prestone All Vehicles type

Seaboot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 G
Boat Length
Rotax recommend BRP 779150, but from what I have heard Scarab are using Standard Green coolant out of the factory. I would therefore use green if that's in your tank, or Prestone All Vehicles type
Yes, green coolant is what is in the tanks. Thanks.

LIZARD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Everytime I changed my 2012 Sea-Doo Challenger 180 coolant (did it 7 times over 8 years) I needed to refill almost have the reservoir tank after the first time running it. There must be a trapped air pocket that doesn't get filled during the refill process. Make sure you pour the coolant in very slow to allow air to be displaced as much as possible.

Ekun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Scarab 165 Ghost that is having a similar issue. It chews through coolant way too quickly. I've had to refill the coolant tank 3 times already this season while going from 30 up to 50 hours. It is definitely not a burp. My buddy who has a different Yamaha boat but the same engine says he hasn't had to replace the coolant once. No nearby Scarab dealer to take it to to get the coolant system pressure tested. Any other ideas of how to see where the coolant is going?

Dean0

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Scarab 165 Ghost that is having a similar issue. It chews through coolant way too quickly. I've had to refill the coolant tank 3 times already this season while going from 30 up to 50 hours. It is definitely not a burp. My buddy who has a different Yamaha boat but the same engine says he hasn't had to replace the coolant once. No nearby Scarab dealer to take it to to get the coolant system pressure tested. Any other ideas of how to see where the coolant is going?
I'm having the same problem with a 2017 195 HO. Did you ever figure out what was happening?

Last edited:

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yes. It was the water pump gasket. At least that’s what the dealer said. Seemed to have worked. No longer running through coolant. Hope this helps.