• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Yamaha AR240 Stiff Steering

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just had my boat serviced (20 hours) and took it out for the first time this season. The steering is so tight it almost feels like if the power steering on your car went out. It was so bad I missed the dock both going out and coming in and it took 2 tries to get it on the trailer. Normally this is super easy and straight forward but without a steering wheel or delayed steering this was incredibly difficult. Any suggestions? I’m an hour away from the nearest Yamaha dealer so if there are any diy things I can do first I would like to at least try.
Thank you in advance!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First thing is to disconnect the steering cable at each nozzle one at a time and check to see it is better. Make sure the nozzle moves freely after disconnected. If still tight after both cables off, then disconnect at the helm side. If the helm is free then its a stiff cable

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the quick response! I checked both and both were fine. I ended up taking it to the dealership today and it’s the rudder. Not sure how the rudder goes bad at 6 months old, 26 engine hours but here we are.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is odd for such a new boat. At least it should be a simple fix

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you for the quick response! I checked both and both were fine. I ended up taking it to the dealership today and it’s the rudder. Not sure how the rudder goes bad at 6 months old, 26 engine hours but here we are.
How does the articulating keel go bad? That's a new one.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess it could seize on the stainless pin.
Its aluminum i believe

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess it could seize on the stainless pin.
Its aluminum i believe
Interesting. I'll make sure that's a point I'll spray some lube down into from time to time. Never would have thought.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I give mine a squirt every so often

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I never dreamed that would go bad so quickly, almost wonder if it was faulty from the get go. I do boat in salt water but I wash entire boat, trailer, and rear of my truck in salt off as well as flush with salt off. We also grease the cables/bolts near the drives at the rear of the boat, not sure what those are called. I will say I was very surprised because I know there are lots of people out there that don’t take nearly as good of care of their boat as we do and they prob have the original rudder. The mechanic greased everything down and tried to work it loose and it just wasn’t budging.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I never dreamed that would go bad so quickly, almost wonder if it was faulty from the get go. I do boat in salt water but I wash entire boat, trailer, and rear of my truck in salt off as well as flush with salt off. We also grease the cables/bolts near the drives at the rear of the boat, not sure what those are called. I will say I was very surprised because I know there are lots of people out there that don’t take nearly as good of care of their boat as we do and they prob have the original rudder. The mechanic greased everything down and tried to work it loose and it just wasn’t budging.
Other than hearing of owners breaking an AK off this is the first hearing one froze

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the parts are back ordered until end of March. I’m trying to figure out a way to get the boat driveable for the time being. Does anyone know how to remove the pin in the steering plate? I’ve got the bottom bolt and side bolt removed but can’t get the pin at the top. It’s so tight it takes 2 hands and some force to get it to budge.

Attachments

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So the parts are back ordered until end of March. I’m trying to figure out a way to get the boat driveable for the time being. Does anyone know how to remove the pin in the steering plate? I’ve got the bottom bolt and side bolt removed but can’t get the pin at the top. It’s so tight it takes 2 hands and some force to get it to budge.
Just take off the control arm to it?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did. Here’s a better pic with the piece I need to remove circled.
I'd just leave it there. Take off the arm at the pump and call it a day. If that thing is tight and not moving then I don't think it would flop around too much. Could be wrong.

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd just leave it there. Take off the arm at the pump and call it a day. If that thing is tight and not moving then I don't think it would flop around too much. Could be wrong.
Oh I understand. You are saying drive the boat without the arm attached and just use the throttle to control it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Oh I understand. You are saying drive the boat without the arm attached and just use the throttle to control it.
Yep, that's what I would do. Also, it's "froze in there" - I'd consider hitting it that whole piece with a heat gun (no torch), and spray some anti-seize on it, maybe you can break it free and lube it up while waiting on a replacement.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your steering cables are still attached to each nozzle so you Still have full control.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your steering cables are still attached to each nozzle so you Still have full control.
Yup, exactly. It isn't needed at all. Does it help, possibly, but it isn't necessary.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Penetrating oil ........move it side to side and lift it up and down as you push on the pin.....just like a door hinge it will bind with weight on it try lifting. I also boat in salt water so corrosion is a problem.............I thought it was supposed to have plastic sleeve bearings in it to eliminate slop and corrosion sure don't see them in pict