• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Yamaha AR240 Stiff Steering

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My worthless 2 cents is on a boat that new with only 20 hrs, I'm thinking more of a bent pin or rudder then corroded. Maybe backed into something or something into you?

Hmiller99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My worthless 2 cents is on a boat that new with only 20 hrs, I'm thinking more of a bent pin or rudder then corroded. Maybe backed into something or something into you?
I wish I had an explanation for how this went bad so quickly! Last time we had it out it was fine, it sat on the dealer lot for 2 months waiting on a different part and got it home and put it in the water and couldn’t steer. Finally got it all taken apart, plastic gaskets completely rotten and pin holes are corroded. What sucks is I take very good care of my brand new $65k boat, so I’m not sure how this happened. I’m very precise about using salt off and greasing jet box bolts etc. I did not know any better to protect the pin in the steer plate but after disassembling I’m not sure any amount of grease would’ve made it past the plastic bushings. Really cheap, poor design. Not very happy with Yamaha and the things that have broken in the first 20 hours. Ski locker hydraulic and swim deck seat latch was broke the day we got it. Might buy a scarab next time 😕

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how did you end up getting it apart. I’ve been soaking the crap out of mine with knock er loose, and it won’t budge. I’m debating taking the whole assembly off to see if I can press it out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So how did you end up getting it apart. I’ve been soaking the crap out of mine with knock er loose, and it won’t budge. I’m debating taking the whole assembly off to see if I can press it out.
when I get some time this evening I will tell you how to get that out of there your header says you do not have a boat etc so if you fill in your info it makes it easier for people to help happy easter

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My rudder froze after two season wet sleeping in salt water. I had to replace the entire assembly include the base/plate attached to the transom. it is a really easy job to do. You have access to the bolts to remove the transom plate from the inside from the clean out tray.

As an FYI it was not frozen when I pulled the boat out of the water. It froze during winter storage.

I have done one season wet slipping in salt water since the new rudder was I stalled and rudder is perfectly fine. Ready for another season!

Nick P

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see it’s been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but how does one take the steering plate off? Like the pictures show, on my 2015 242 the top bolt of the steering plate can’t go anywhere due to the hull being right above it. Sounds like I need to remove the entire mount from the hill by removing nuts on the inside of the transom? Can anyone confirm that or is there another way to just get the plate out from the mount?