• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 195S SVHO Wear Ring Sleeve Replacement

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
On my maiden voyage last year I sucked in a small chunk of wood which lodged in the impeller. After removal, I noticed a discolored area on the wear ring where the wood was rubbing. I didn't think much of it at the time. Fast forward to today, I noticed the rub area now appears rusted and appears to have swelled out leaving nearly no clearance between the sleeve and impeller. The boat runs fine on land, have not had it on water since last year. According to the owners manual, the sleeve is replaceable (Roughly $160) but I will need a special sleeve puller tool (Roughly $200). I am also seeing what appears to be cavitation burn on the impeller.

For those of you have been in a similar situation, I have a few questions:

1. Should I bother changing the sleeve, or is this the time to upgrade to the stainless steel housing from Riva Racing or equivalent?

2. I do recall hearing a light ting-ting-ting when running on land over the last year. That ting is now gone. I assume that was the impeller rubbing the ring. In this scenario, is the wear ring the sacrificial component, or is there a decent chance I will need an impeller as well? Is the cavitation burn alone enough to warrant replacement?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
According to the owners manual, the sleeve is replaceable (Roughly $160) but I will need a special sleeve puller tool (Roughly $200). I am also seeing what appears to be cavitation burn on the impeller.
I think the impeller is probably fine, maybe a buff up in order? And if you're pulling the wear ring, might as well switch it now to stainless.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the impeller is probably fine, maybe a buff up in order? And if you're pulling the wear ring, might as well switch it now to stainless.
I hope the “ting-ting-ting” is not an indication of a problem. My 195s makes that noise every time I blow out the water box after an outing. Been doing that since day 1….???

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This is all normal when you don't use the boat for a long time and the impeller starts to drag and may even keep the engine from turning over due to dissimilar metal corrosion under the liner then it is time to change up the pump housing It's your boat do as you like but I switch to nylon liners that are replaceable, no dissimilar metal corrosion and no noise from the pump. Logic tells me that dissimilar metals corrode so if you use an expensive stainless liner pump section you have it attached on both sides to aluminum and those parts can do the same thing except now it could be the pump housing itself that corrodes from being in contact with the pump housing.. I have done several conversions to the replaceable liners with very good results so I guess it depends who's parts you buy. And who does the install. I also did a post several years ago showing how to relive the pressure on the high spots and keep using the liner from the factory . https://jetboaters.net/threads/low-budget-fix-for-yamaha-pump-liner-swelling-issue.12121/

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The wear ring is stainless on these from the factory. From what I have read this is a new pump design on the 2020+.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I hope the “ting-ting-ting” is not an indication of a problem. My 195s makes that noise every time I blow out the water box after an outing. Been doing that since day 1….???
Yeah, same. I've read over and over that these are noisy and the noises are normal, that is why I didn't think much of it. I'm beginning to believe that the ting-ting was my impeller and wear ring rubbing, and now that one or both has shaved down it is no longer rubbing. I've found specs in the manual for wear ring measurements but not any for the impeller.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This is all normal when you don't use the boat for a long time and the impeller starts to drag and may even keep the engine from turning over due to dissimilar metal corrosion under the liner then it is time to change up the pump housing It's your boat do as you like but I switch to nylon liners that are replaceable, no dissimilar metal corrosion and no noise from the pump. Logic tells me that dissimilar metals corrode so if you use an expensive stainless liner pump section you have it attached on both sides to aluminum and those parts can do the same thing except now it could be the pump housing itself that corrodes from being in contact with the pump housing.. I have done several conversions to the replaceable liners with very good results so I guess it depends who's parts you buy. And who does the install. I also did a post several years ago showing how to relive the pressure on the high spots and keep using the liner from the factory . https://jetboaters.net/threads/low-budget-fix-for-yamaha-pump-liner-swelling-issue.12121/

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I will definitely check into that. In your experience, do you think my impeller will need replaced? Or does the liner take the damage when they begin to rub?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Everyone is different I put in the pump liner section with the original impeller and drive it as is unless it has evidence of damage , if it runs out ok it isn't broke so don't mess with it if it has an issue then get the impeller redone. I have put up to 900 hours on an impeller with no problems but at my age I drive really slow and careful and stay out of shallow water. Me testing out the extreme handling capabilities of the new 2021 FX HO skies

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Salt, Salt and More Salt the bane of the pressed-in metal wear rings. Replaced enough of them in Super Jets, Blasters and Waverunner's to make a piece of modern art. Love the after-market units. Slap them in and let the prop carve through any high spots. Nice tight seal.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Salt, Salt and More Salt the bane of the pressed-in metal wear rings. Replaced enough of them in Super Jets, Blasters and Waverunner's to make a piece of modern art. Love the after-market units. Slap them in and let the prop carve through any high spots. Nice tight seal.
This boat has been in freshwater exclusively. The chunk of hardwood I sucked in burned the liner and caused the swelling. Not sure of the science behind it, but I would like to know.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Where do we buy the nylon liners for the 195?