• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 252S speeds

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Took the new boat out yesterday afternoon for a bit and thought I would share some speed info.
Conditions - 2 adults on the boat, roughly 35% fuel load. Light chop in salt water with about a 5 knot wind from the SW. Air temp about 60F and water temp around 50F.

6k RPM = 33 MPH.
WOT = 46 MPH.

Did not look at the fuel burn numbers but can check next time.

I had no idea that the elevation would have such a dramatic effect on performance. Ran mine at about 4,000 feet of elevation. 6k RPM was right about 29 mph and WOT 39 mph. 2 adults, 3 kids and full of gas. Only have 2.5 hours on the motors.

yeah, I was going to ask at what altitude the OP was at. Sea level sounds about right. My 2016 AR 240 has been to 47 mph at Havasu maybe less then 1,000 foot elevation. At 4,000 feet Lake Powell only 40, at 3,500 feet Elephant Butte Lake, New Mexico around 43 mph.

yeah, I was going to ask at what altitude the OP was at. Sea level sounds about right. My 2016 AR 240 has been to 47 mph at Havasu maybe less then 1,000 foot elevation. At 4,000 feet Lake Powell only 40, at 3,500 feet Elephant Butte Lake, New Mexico around 43 mph.

The numbers above were from Lake Powell. Taking it to Lake Pleasant (Phoenix area) this weekend. About 1,700 feet, so she should perform a little better, hopefully.

My grandfather used to live on Elephant Butte. Could see the elephant from his front porch. That was probably 30+ years ago now though. Don't hear that name very often!

I couldn't help myself... I had to google Elephant Butte. Cool geography and dam. Comradery, technical advice, geography lessons..... is there anything JetBoaters.net cant do? ??

The "Butte" as we call it. Earth Dam on the once mighty Rio Grande. When the Dam was built in the 1930's by the CCC it created the nations largest watershed. Now its a little mud pit in the middle of the desert, but hey its got sandy beaches and it feels good on your feet. Its one of the only places in the country you can pull your RV and boat down through the sand to lakeside and camp, have a camp fire, listen to music and park your boat where you can walk out to it. Of course you usually need one of these (1986 AM General M923 5 ton) to get your stuff down there, but hey that's another cool toy.

Attachments

• 5 ton towing deuce.jpg
    5 ton towing deuce.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 15
I have had my 252s out twice now. I did the break in as per the manual. I’m not sure if I was expecting more, but I feel the boat is under powered on takeoff. This is my first jet boat. I had mine topped out at 47mph with my wife and 2 small kids. The water was like glass that day

From what I understand, that is about what you will get. I believe the fastest/quickest boats in the Yamaha Twin Engine Lineup would be the 212/212s. You have the same engines but are 1000 lbs. Heavier. They go in the low 50's. Your speed will start coming down as you add more gear and people as well. Our boats are weight sensitive with respect to speed.

Last weekend my wife and I were at the marine and some lucky guy just got a 252S. The wet slip next to him was empty so we pulled in to check it out. That boat is huge compared to my 212 and beautiful. But I can see it being a
little under powered with 2 1.8's and so freaking huge. 47mph is nothing to sneeze at.

Last weekend my wife and I were at the marine and some lucky guy just got a 252S. The wet slip next to him was empty so we pulled in to check it out. That boat is huge compared to my 212 and beautiful. But I can see it being a
little under powered with 2 1.8's and so freaking huge. 47mph is nothing to sneeze at.
I agree. The top end speed is fine. I was just expecting a little more ass on acceleration. I am extremely happy with the boat so far!

Thanks for updates. I have SX 240 2014 and it has been a great boat! Been looking at 252 S… Not too concerned on speed (agree lineup does look under-powered, but 47 ok). My concern is noise level. My 240 will definitively fly (low 50s and very quick take off—lower weight) but it is also LOUD!

Does anyone know how the noise level actually compares with the 252 series? Did Yamaha add any sound damping?

Also ride- is there a noticeable difference in 1-2ft waves? Lake Lanier can get rough in some areas.
Thx

Thanks for updates. I have SX 240 2014 and it has been a great boat! Been looking at 252 S… Not too concerned on speed (agree lineup does look under-powered, but 47 ok). My concern is noise level. My 240 will definitively fly (low 50s and very quick take off—lower weight) but it is also LOUD!

Does anyone know how the noise level actually compares with the 252 series? Did Yamaha add any sound damping?

Also ride- is there a noticeable difference in 1-2ft waves? Lake Lanier can get rough in some areas.
Thx
I don't have much to compare my 252S sound with yours as I never owned a jet boat prior to this (or even been on one), but I am pretty pleased with the sound level. I'm sure it's louder than an outboard, and a but louder than an I/O, but I don't think it's excessive. When at speed, it's the wind noise that keeps me from conversation, not the engines. As for speed, I have regularly gotten to 50 mph, and I am also happy with the shot out of the hole! Oh, and she handles 2-3 foot waves beautifully.

MY 252 is much quieter than my 210... if that helps.

Also never seen over 44mph. 50mph in a 252 seems like a miracle boat. What rpm does she run at WOT?

Thx
Ride difference is night and day

MY 252 is much quieter than my 210... if that helps.

Also never seen over 44mph. 50mph in a 252 seems like a miracle boat. What rpm does she run at WOT?
Not sure, but taking it out this weekend and I'll check & report. When I hit 50 I had 1/2 tank fuel and 3 adult men on-board. Also worth noting I had 7 adults and 1 child on-board with more than 1/2 tank, and easily hit 46.

Not sure, but taking it out this weekend and I'll check & report. When I hit 50 I had 1/2 tank fuel and 3 adult men on-board. Also worth noting I had 7 adults and 1 child on-board with more than 1/2 tank, and easily hit 46.
Were you going downhill?
Havent seen anyone hit 50 with 3 adults and 1/2 tank yet

Back