• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 255 - Stbd Engine Won't Crank

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hey,

So I just got this thing, its a 2021 255 with the twin 300s. Boat had 16 hrs on it when I bought it so I figured I was basically getting a new boat. Well when I picked it up saturday both motors started fine and sounded the same. Same situation when we first went out Sunday but after spending some time hanging out off the back of it (not shallow water) the stbd engine was very slow to crank/start. Port side sounded how you would expect. Anyway got it to start turning and it started but was making sort of a whining noise, moved a little, started it back up and the noise was gone. Cruised down the river, all the performance was still there, both engines were the same rpm but when I got to the no wake zone the whining was back. At the dock it still cranked slow to get it on the trailer. Monday - took off work to go out on the new boat, the stbd engine wont even crank now. Very, very disappointing.

Port side cranks and fires up fast. Batteries are good.
Check the jet pump there's no debris of any kind in there
Checked that I do have voltage on the other side of the starter solenoid.
I swapped the OMRON relays
You can hear it "click" when I hit the button

Anything else easy to check? I'm calling a dealer today but this has me down wish it was just something simple. Oh and the depth finder doesn't work at all?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
When you indicate your batteries are "good", what did you do to determine that? Sorry, but a lot of people's definitions on "good batteries" is often incorrect.

You did what I can think of... battery seems very likely or at least electrical of some sort. I don't have a twin engine, but are they separate starter batteries for each engine? If they are separate batteries, I'd swap the battery source for the problem engine just to see if it cranks fast like the other one.

Maybe others will have other things to check.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hey Luc, thanks for the reply. The battery switch has 3 settings - off, 1 battery ON, and Combine. I had it on combine. Batteries are around 12.6V not running and 13.5V running. The voltage on the starter side of the solenoid didn't drop really at all when trying to start the STBD engine and since they are combined and the port is cranking fast I figured that couldn't be the problem?

Scott Brown

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I had the same issue that ended up being bad relays (I know you checked that, just my experience), 2019 255 Open ID with dual 300's. Did you swap all four relays? Also you didn't mention checking the oil. Good luck, and yes it sucks when it doesn't start, especially when multiple friends take off work to go on the boat only to get to the ramp and it doesn't start :(

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Agreed, if you have it on combine and it starts the other engine fine. 12.6V and above is good.. but of course, that doesn't show load issues... just implies it's a good battery. The proof in your case is that your other engine starts fine.

I agree with @Scott Brown , make sure you checked all four relays (two per engine) and oil level.

If nothing is found.. you can keep checking stuff like coils, plugs, but we're just speculating at this point. That's when your dealer should be helping. Hard to diagnose remotely.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yea "check out how sweet my new boat is!!!" then it doesn't start. I forgot to mention that but I did check the oil, looks new. Also I just took the port side ones out (both) and swapped them to STBD.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Whining is often associated with the supercharger. I don't see how/why it would cause slow cranking... but worth checking your hoses that go to/from the supercharger. Maybe the whining is the supercharger but the cranking is something else...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just to avoid overlooking the obvious did you look in the pump to be sure nothing was wrapped up in it as that will often prevent the engine from starting . Worth a look! the other obvious issue would be the ground wire at the engine since the engine was replaced it may be loose.