• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR190 vs AR210

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The way I look at it, while towing, is that regardless of what I am rated for, family safety and the safety of others on the road and the launches always factors in. I like some cushion for the one time I will need it. In my mind it only takes one issue to change a lot of things and life, and If I can prevent that by having a better tow vehicle, that is what I should do and did. I am ultimately responsible for towing my boat and the everyone's safety. Plus other drivers out there on their phones and not paying attention, can put me into a situation where I need every thing I got and can do to bring my vehicle and boat off the road and to a stop. If I am fully loaded and at or slightly beyond my towing capability without sufficient cushion, there may be an issue.

Also as a foot note, a good Attorney friend of mine was discussing towing and trailering. There are cases when you get into an accident and if it is proven that you were over the weight they can push negligence and it has gotten nasty. Insurance companies will have issue as well as it can go from a civil/traffic issue to a possible criminal issue. These are things to think about, then make your choices for you. He indicated with the boat buying surge this year that they are seeing litigation on both sides with respect to "Unsafe/Negligent Towing Accidents"

Last edited:

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had a 2017 Ar190. Initially I was looking at the Ar210 but my wife wouldn't have it, the extra expense of year around storage and price tag of 210. My wife didn't like the price of the 190 either, "why are boats so expensive" she would say. Then this spring Covid hit and boats were selling fast so we decided to sell the 190 and slowly look for another boat. Well slowly didn't happen, I found a used 2020 212S for sale 10 miles from my house a week later. I didn't get a great deal but I think it was a fair deal. All that being said I have owned a Ar190 and 212S, both are great boats it all come down to you. The 190 was a great fit for my family at the time. That boat will be the one my family will always remembers as the family memories boat. My 2 sons were pre teens then and loved that boat. But the 212S is F"ing awsome.
More grunt, dosen't bleed out speed in turns when tubing and I swear its quieter. But year around storage fee's suck rights now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some really good discussion (mostly civil) on the matter of if your insurance will cover you, and if you'll get sued is in this thread here:

It's worth a read for anyone getting ready to tow at or near the limit.

For reference, I sit on the "Towing over the limit is of similar negligence to drunk driving" side of the fence. Most likely your insurance will cover your belongings, and your liability up to the limit stated on your policy, and the exact details of the situation will have to be hashed out in a courtroom if the insurance company doesn't pay. Likewise, even within the limit on a vehicle combination, other items (such as driver training and education) can be brought up in an attempt to "sue the pants off" someone if there is an accident. In the end, we are all adults and have various levels of risk we're comfortable with. I sincerely hope we're all making informed decisions on matters of this magnitude.

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I also went from a 190 to a 212S. If you can make the 210 work you definitely should. I know it's only two feet but it feels like so much more than that. The ability to handle chop, the extra height, the extra interior space and the dual engines are a HUGE difference IMO. I haven't experienced the speed on a 210 so I'm not sure how much of difference there is in that. The 212 is an absolute beast!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The AR210 is tops 44-45.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One thing I like about the Ar190/Ar210 is the bench seat, it really gives it a open feel. The arms on the 212 captains chairs can be in the way from time to time. Regarding AR210 the 2020 black with blue tower is a sharp looking boat. The 2021 are nice too except the Red and Black, I live in GA and way to many Bulldog fans.😁

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Somehow did not get any notifications of thread activity, logged in today to just check and...wow, you guys are awesome!
The Highlander is rated at 5000 lbs. We are looking forward to visiting Summersville in West Virginia and other lakes down south in 2021 so need to be able to navigate hills/ranges while towing. I believe the ideal tow weight should be 20% less than what a car is rated for...that puts the 210 about 500lbs over ‘ideal’ for the Highlander. After watching one too many videos of cars being pulled into the water by the big boats they are offloading or fishtailing as they try to pull the boat out, I am leaning towards the 190.
We have done three adults, and three kids (all under 10) on the sportster. Even on the 7-humans-on-a-15-footer weekend, we managed to pack all food, drinks, fishing gear, towels, spare clothes etc into the Sportster’s storage areas. Your feedback has me less worried about space.
It’s all about tubing and zup-ing and swimming. We went out on Lake Erie and up the Cuyahoga river once and 8 declared it the most boring day on the boat...EVER. We won’t be cruising long distances or going miles offshore - maybe a trip to Kelley’s island on a nice day (put in at a ramp in Sandusky/Catawba etc).
On our Lake Erie day, breakwater and entrance to the river was a mess of barges, jet skis and bigger boats creating a ton of chop (but not close to @HangOutdoors experience on the Detroit river). The sportster handled it great - we got some spray but no waves breaking over the bow. Hoping that the experience will be even better in a 190.
Now if only we could hit fast forward on winter...
@poordealguy, I had the same seadoo 15ft boat for years , loved it! started looking at the yamaha 190 and was set on it until i checked out the scarab 215. thank god I went with the 21ft boat. brakes on the trailer, twin engine, lots more room for the kids, handles the chop better and the list goes on. I could not fit the boat in the garage anymore so it sits on the driveway during the summer and stored in the winter, your talking a $500 cost so don't let storage sway your decision. the Yamaha 195 is a sweet boat but I would choose the large boat every time. also, when you look at the 19ft in comparison to your 15ft boat out of the water it looks huge but in the water its noticeably smaller compared to a 21ft or 24ft. if you have had a good experience with Rotax engines take a look at the scarab 215 or Chap Vortex line, you can get a scarab 215 with a singe axel trailer that weighs under 900lbs plus the boat is 100+ lbs lighter than the Ar210. might be worth a look, i tow it with my explorer that is rated for 5k and its no problem. Good luck!

poordealguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions - after much much much deliberation, we decided to stick with the AR190 - got a pretty sweet deal on one in stock at a dealer not far away and made the commitment! Looking forward to picking it up April/May!!!! Now need to get feedback from you on a trolling motor setup on this...more on that later...

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR190 has been a great boat for me and my wife and so far it’s only the two of us that go out on this boat. Any more than that I take out my big boat. My two sons are grown and on their own now but I could not fathom taking them out, especially as teenagers with tubes, wakeboards and coolers, on the AR190. Maybe as toddlers but beyond that the AR190 would get crowded fast.

If possible, get one of the new Yamaha 25 footers and a full size truck. Put as much of a down payment as you can. Financing rates are incredibly low with good credit and call it a day. You’ll have a boat plenty big for family and several friends for many years to come, their ridiculously large Yeti coolers and a tow vehicle that can pull all of it. Just my two cents.
Merry Christmas 🎄

LakeErieJB129

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are currently looking at the ar210 and are contemplating if it will be good for us. We would be using it exclusively on lake erie. Anyone have experience with 4 adults and a few kids with this size boat? Does it do fine on a lake like this one? Thanks

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does fine in the Great Lakes, but you do need to pick your days. We use ours in Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair a lot, Lake Michigan and in land lakes. Know you water and your watercraft. Have VHF radios with you and monitor the weather.

LakeErieJB129

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does fine in the Great Lakes, but you do need to pick your days. We use ours in Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair a lot, Lake Michigan and in land lakes. Know you water and your watercraft. Have VHF radios with you and monitor the weather.
Thanks, we want it for taking the kids out tubing or heading to the islands on nice days with friends. We ruled out the 190s, so just making sure the 21 ft would be best for us.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any of the 21' boats will be fine. If you want to drop another 15k or so you could look at the 25' boats which have a taller freeboard. Like the AR250. It should handle the big water better. If not you will be fine in the 21'. Pick your days though.

LakeErieJB129

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any of the 21' boats will be fine. If you want to drop another 15k or so you could look at the 25' boats which have a taller freeboard. Like the AR250. It should handle the big water better. If not you will be fine in the 21'. Pick your days though.
We looked at the ar250 at a dealership last week, really nice boat but I think with the extra to pay for storage plus 15K more on the price tag the 21 ft might be our best bet. Thanks for the info

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My family and I love our 212 Yamaha.IMG_7324.jpg

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We looked at the ar250 at a dealership last week, really nice boat but I think with the extra to pay for storage plus 15K more on the price tag the 21 ft might be our best bet. Thanks for the info
Yeah the 25’ is nice but it is HUGE, by buying a 21’ I can still keep it in my garage. I had intentions of buying a 25’ but after seeing them it is just more boat then we need. However we normally don’t boat on big lakes either, so this also helped in our decision process. I had two 19' Yamaha's and the family enjoyed both, however very excited for a 21' this upcoming season.

Last edited: