• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 AR210, slipping/cavitation on take off

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bought a new to me 2021 AR210 with 30 hours on it at the beginning of the season. It now has about 70 hours.

I’ve recently noticed it has been cavitation it slipping on take off, especially when loaded or pulling a tube. It’s not terrible and I can back off of WOT to prevent it from happening. But I don’t want it to happen at all.

After doing some reading, it looks like potentially sealing the joints with 5200 might help. But upon inspection, I don’t know that it looks terrible. I had it in salt water for about a week. Don’t think that would cause it either.

Would appreciate anyone taking a look at the pics and seeing if they see anything that might cause it. To me, I don’t see any sealant that has separated or come off. But maybe I’m missing something.

Both port and starboard pumps are included in the images.

Attachments

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The ride plates are usually a culprit for cavitation and in pictures 8902 and 8903 it looks like some sealant is missing from the ride plate to the black hull. Salt water doesn’t do anything over the short term especially if it’s not left in the salt water. Jump under with a small tube of black 5200 and a rubber glove and apply to that seam. Use acetone to clean the area first

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've also had the 'slippage' and cavitation issues on full throttle take-off from day one on my 2021 SX210. I've just adjusted my throttle hand, but I'll check those ride plates as well. Question: would excess sealant cause cavitation? I've noticed that the seams on mine have spots where the sealant has 'squeezed out' and stands proud of the plate and hull. I've thought about using a razor to trim it flush, but was hesitant. What does the JB hivemind think?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pull off any loose junk they use a very weak adhering silicone. Apply 5200 inside the tunnel area and on the bottom where it meets the hull all edges sealed up will help prevent cavitation. The older boats had much better workmanship from the factory with how all those parts lined up allowing minimal water interruption form any misalignment.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Be sure the clean out plugs are in tight, spread some bees wax on the area of the plug where it screws in so that it seals good and tight with less effort, use a feeler gauge and see how much clearance your impeller edges have from the liner, if it is a bit over 20 you may want a new liner.

H20Thrust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Bayliner
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks guys! All good suggestions.
I thought the sealant looked the worst right where the ride plates meet the gel coat, at the very bottom of the hull. It's the easiest area to get to and the transition looked the worst there, for sure.

I'll plan to hit the whole area with 5200.

Last question, is there any damage that cab be caused by running it with this minor cavitation? I've seen some impellers that were trashed from cavitation, but I'm thinking my issue is much more trivial than to cause that kind of damage.