• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 drain plugs

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine has no plug in the ski locker, plastic plug on the front wall of the engine compartment and a plastic one in the transom. At first it almost looked as if the ski locker had a broken pvc pipe stuck in the drain of some sort, but after messing with it, its just an open drain.

Hurly23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Mine has no plug in the ski locker, plastic plug on the front wall of the engine compartment and a plastic one in the transom. At first it almost looked as if the ski locker had a broken pvc pipe stuck in the drain of some sort, but after messing with it, its just an open drain.
I have the same broken A$$ looking PVC pipe drain in the Ski Locker.....WTH is that all about? $5 drain cover woulda made that look better.

Do you know where the Ski Locker drain plug drains to? I am constantly getting water in there because I only have a shipping cover that doesnt seal well (Still waiting on cover I ordered in Oct). I tilted the boat back so water would drain into that tube in the Ski locker, but only a small amount drained somewhere, then stopped. Do I need to open up a plug somewhere to keep water flowing out? Thanks for any help!

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same broken A$$ looking PVC pipe drain in the Ski Locker.....WTH is that all about? $5 drain cover woulda made that look better.

Do you know where the Ski Locker drain plug drains to? I am constantly getting water in there because I only have a shipping cover that doesnt seal well (Still waiting on cover I ordered in Oct). I tilted the boat back so water would drain into that tube in the Ski locker, but only a small amount drained somewhere, then stopped. Do I need to open up a plug somewhere to keep water flowing out? Thanks for any help!
On mine It seems as if the ski locker drains directly into the bilge. I'm also using the shipping cover while I wait for the mooring cover. I unplugged the drain on the front wall of the engine compartment after some rains here recently but i didn't see any water coming out even though it was draining from the ski locker. I plan to test it a bit once I get a chance. It would be nice if the service manual was out to hopefully show the drains and their routing.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

You can never seem to get all of that water out through the drain. We got good at using a super-soaker to draw out the water and then wipe with a towel. Prevents any possible mildew or mold.

That was with our 19’. With our new 212s, we have never had any water in the ski locker. We’ve taken a few waves over the bow, but the water channels well around the opening of the locker lid. Somebody on here talked about how it’s designed to do that.

Jtamasi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I noticed the same thing on my 212SE ski locker this weekend. I cleaned the boat and it appears the water did drain down to the bilge.

Still waiting on the cover also so I’m using a 26ft Tarp to cover the boat in the interim.
Not impressed at all with the rear drain plug, it doesn’t look robust at all. Any way to upgrade it? Came across various posts but there all 2020 or older.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I noticed the same thing on my 212SE ski locker this weekend. I cleaned the boat and it appears the water did drain down to the bilge.

Still waiting on the cover also so I’m using a 26ft Tarp to cover the boat in the interim.
Not impressed at all with the rear drain plug, it doesn’t look robust at all. Any way to upgrade it? Came across various posts but there all 2020 or older.
If you are referring to the bilge drain plug on the rear of the boat, it is a pretty good design. Some folks have swapped over to the stainless steel one for those that can. Honestly as mentioned on another post, this design has been in use for years, both on boats and waverunners with no real issues. You don't need to over tighten it too hard for it to work right.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sounds like 2021 change - my 2020 has a plug in the locker, 2 plugs in engine bay, one at transom.
Same with my 2020. Ski locker has a plug I immediately removed.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Mine leaks for sure - I know this because when I pull the boat out and there's water in the transom, I can see the water coming out of the drain. When I took delivery I was told not to over-tighten that plug, but that doesn't seem to matter. I thought about adding another o-ring somehow, maybe that would help?

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine leaks for sure - I know this because when I pull the boat out and there's water in the transom, I can see the water coming out of the drain. When I took delivery I was told not to over-tighten that plug, but that doesn't seem to matter. I thought about adding another o-ring somehow, maybe that would help?
So it drips water out even with the plug tightened? I would check for debris in the threads or a torn o-ring just in case.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So it drips water out even with the plug tightened? I would check for debris in the threads or a torn o-ring just in case.
Yep every time I pull the boat out of the water and go to unplug it, there's water coming out of that area. O-ring is always fine. Just a really stupid plug design.

Jtamasi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yep every time I pull the boat out of the water and go to unplug it, there's water coming out of that area. O-ring is always fine. Just a really stupid plug design.
I agree about the design, mine has been completely dry fortunately every time I have removed it. Worries about someone other than myself over tightening it.
I wonder in your case if something internally might be leaking- like a cooling hose or something causing the water. Honestly it hasn’t been warm enough for me to pop the hatch and really examine the engines and cooling system so not sure the set up. Looking forward to summer!!

TexAg16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My 2021 AR195 doesn’t have a ski locker plug, just a drain. But the drain looks like it has threads for something. They look like gear teeth staggered so I’m not sure what’s supposed to plug it.