• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2021 FSH 190 Transom Plate Removal

Bmluke58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am trying to remove the transom plate from my 2021 FSH 190. I have the nuts removed but can't get the plate to budge. Any advice?

Did you figure this out? I've been trying desperately to research how to remove the transom plate. I can only assume you reach the bolts on the back of the plate via the bilge area under the swim deck. I've also read on greenhulk that removing transom plate might require removing the intake grate but that's for PWCs - but that's what our boats are. Any advice?

see if this helps show where the bolts are

Last edited:
Did you figure this out? I've been trying desperately to research how to remove the transom plate. I can only assume you reach the bolts on the back of the plate via the bilge area under the swim deck. I've also read on greenhulk that removing transom plate might require removing the intake grate but that's for PWCs - but that's what our boats are. Any advice?

I did! Yes, first remove the nuts in the bilge area. But mine wouldn't budge even with those off because of the strength of the sealant. I even removed one of the bolts, stuck a socket wrench extender in the bolt hole and used a small sledge hammer to hit it. Nothing.

My problem was the bolts from the impeller housing broke off in my transom plate when I was removing the housing. If the bolts from your housing didn't break off in your transom plate, you can screw some bolts in the transom plate, attach a metal bracket and use a ratchet strap to pull the transom plate off. Slow, steady pressure. Tighten the strap a little, let it sit for a while, then tighten more. Don't try to do it all at once. But if you're like me and the bolts broke off in your transom plate, I did the following....

Get you some anti-bond spray (I got mine from West Marine), wood shims, and o-ring picks. I had to take the plate off so that I could get under the transom plate. I sprayed the anti-bond on the sealant on the plate and used a wood shim to separate the plate from the hull on one side and then it popped off pretty easily. I sprayed the anti-bond on the underside of the transom plate and scraped out the sealant using the o-ring pick. This took a little while because the sealant was pretty thick. Spray, pick, repeat until you can get enough sealant out to get a wood shim to start to penetrate between the transom plate and hull on the bottom of the transom plate. I eventually had three wood shims in there and then hammered in a small metal pry bar between the plate and the wood shims. The rest of the sealant started to release at that point and I used the wood shims on the sides to release up the sides. I marked the pic with an arrow where I put the shim to get the plate to release and then the other red line is where I started with the anti-bond, pick, and shims once the plate was removed.

Attachments

• 20240601_101111.jpg
    20240601_101111.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 9
I looked at Debond but it said it was a depolymerizer, so I was concerned about depolymerizarion of the FRP transom. Your approach with shims and anti-bond and scraping was more/less how I was going to approach. And I had 2 bolts that sheered off in transom plate. I was able to remove one but the small one was sheered off flush - and extraction bit broke off in that bolt. Ugh. So I thought I'd just do it right but then ran into all that sealant!

Right now I've resorted to drilling/tapping new hole using pump housing as guide for bit. At some point I'm gonna have to try your method. Thanks for input.

Back