• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 or 2022 Yamaha AR 190

Kalg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All, new to the forum and never drove a boat before.

I called few dealers last week and put a deposit for 2022 Yamaha AR190 at a dealer on 21Jun2021. They initially said they do not take deposit as 2022 information is not out yet. But I convinced them to take it as the rest of the USA is doing it 😉.

To my surprise, they called me yesterday saying a customer has backed off on an order and I can have 2021 Yamaha AR190 in 3 weeks. I was hoping to get a newer 2022 in July/August as I am the first in the list. And since technology changes so fast, newer model is always better.

Should I wait for a 2022 as it maybe few more weeks of wait?

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
22' model/technology changes is not announced but if I'm a betting man, covid held everything so its not likely yamaha will have anything new on 22' model. But this is just my assumption I could be wrong but if I were you, I'd jump on the 2021 while its still available, its hard to find a boat right now. Good luck!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I called few dealers last week and put a deposit for 2022 Yamaha AR190 at a dealer on 21Jun2021. They initially said they do not take deposit as 2022 information is not out yet. But I convinced them to take it as the rest of the USA is doing it 😉.

To my surprise, they called me yesterday saying a customer has backed off on an order and I can have 2021 Yamaha AR190 in 3 weeks. I was hoping to get a newer 2022 in July/August as I am the first in the list. And since technology changes so fast, newer model is always better.

On a side note, I never thought of buying a boat. But earlier this month, my 2 young kids were playing in a lake park near a boat and the owner was not so friendly. To be fair, maybe he was having a bad day. I felt sad looking at the kids and decided to get one. And when I get one, I will definitely give rides to others to see their happy faces.

There are hundreds if not many more deposits around the country at different dealers for 2022 models. Unfortunately, I doubt any 2022's will show up till mid August which would be a very hopeful guestimate and probably not viable, and which models, no telling when the 19' footers will be delivered. Since there is a backlog of unfinished boats, I wouldn't think that they would be pushing out 2022's till the 2021's are finally done.

There are those who have been waiting 5 months or more for their 19' foot boats so to be honest is is unrealistic that you would get a 2022 anytime soon if at all this year. It is unfortunate but it is what it is. It definitely won't be a few more weeks. It could be months or more.

I would suggest you take the 2021 if it is what you are looking for. You can find many threads of people on wait lists that are still waiting.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
22' model/technology changes is not announced but if I'm a betting man, covid held everything so its not likely yamaha will have anything new on 22' model. But this is just my assumption I could be wrong but if I were you, I'd jump on the 2021 while its still available, its hard to find a boat right now. Good luck!
This.

Kalg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Forgive my ignorance on the silly questions:

Is 5 yrs warranty good investment? Or is it better to buy with credit card as they give 2 additional years of warranty?

How to make sure that I am not being sold a used or returned boat? What other things to check when buying a boat.

I tried to negotiate the price just like we do for cars, but no luck. Any thing else should I try?

AR190 is $33549 with galvanized trailer, $2000 for fright and prep fees, plus taxes and registration. Hope no other surprises at the dealer. Thank you.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I dont think you can negotiate price as its high demand right now,$35.5K before tax is just about right., make up your mind soon or someone will take it. You can check hours on the boat when you do the water test. For the warranty, its personal preference, some do take it some dont, I didn't add it but its a good to have if you decide to sell your boat later and its still under warranty.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Warranty is a personal choice. My personal choice in 2019 was no and it has worked out very well. I haven't been back to dealer since purchasing. Years 2-5 are usually trouble free in a 190. Pretty simple boat.

If you can get a dealer to agree to a credit card purchase and you can pay it off right away do that in a heartbeat. The best I can usually do is a significant deposit on the card because it costs dealers money for credit card transactions.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Forgive my ignorance on the silly questions:

Is 5 yrs warranty good investment? Or is it better to buy with credit card as they give 2 additional years of warranty?

How to make sure that I am not being sold a used or returned boat? What other things to check when buying a boat.

I tried to negotiate the price just like we do for cars, but no luck. Any thing else should I try?

AR190 is $33549 with galvanized trailer, $2000 for fright and prep fees, plus taxes and registration. Hope no other surprises at the dealer. Thank you.
Don't buy the warranty now. Yamaha will start soliciting you in 6 months. I purchased my extended warranty through them at 10 months in and they discounted it to get me to bite, emails after emails kept coming, it saved me hundreds. You get 1 year for your new purchase. You are free to purchase the YES warranty up to 1 year after purchase. Also, when you buy it online they can do it as a credit card or they can give you up to 4 monthly payments which is what I did. You have the option of 1-4 Years on the extended warranty and then you can decide. Perhaps you don't like boating, or you want to go to a bigger boat, no way to tell right now how long you should buy your warranty.

As far as pricing for the boat, you get what you get right now, otherwise someone else is right behind you to get it. Of course trying doesn't hurt. See if they will throw in a Coast Guard safety kit (PFD's, rope, anchor, air horn, etc.) and also see if they will offer you a discount on anything you purchase from them directly for a period of time. 10-20% off stuff. Ask if they will throw in a free 10 hour service, which is a very important maintenance that needs to be done.

Some people don't buy warranties and that is fine. I do on big things. I may never need them, but If the engine goes that is 10k plus. Highly unlikely but I personally am not willing to take the risk. If anything, if you decide to sell, a warranty makes it more attractive and you can get a slightly higher price for it potentially.

Last edited:

Kalg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't buy the warranty now. Yamaha will start soliciting you in 6 months. I purchased my extended warranty through them at 10 months in and they discounted it to get me to bite, emails after emails kept coming, it saved me hundreds. You get 1 year for your new purchase. You are free to purchase the YES warranty up to 1 year after purchase. Also, when you buy it online they can do it as a credit card or they can give you up to 4 monthly payments which is what I did.

As far as pricing for the boat, you get what you get right now, otherwise someone else is right behind you to get it. Of course trying doesn't hurt. See if they will throw in a Coast Guard safety kit (PFD's, rope, anchor, air horn, etc.) and also see if they will offer you a discount on anything you purchase from them directly for a period of time. 10-20% off stuff.
Thanks for the details

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don't buy the warranty now. Yamaha will start soliciting you in 6 months. I purchased my extended warranty through them at 10 months in and they discounted it to get me to bite, emails after emails kept coming, it saved me hundreds. You get 1 year for your new purchase. You are free to purchase the YES warranty up to 1 year after purchase. Also, when you buy it online they can do it as a credit card or they can give you up to 4 monthly payments which is what I did. You have the option of 1-4 Years on the extended warranty and then you can decide. Perhaps you don't like boating, or you want to go to a bigger boat, no way to tell right now how long you should buy your warranty.

As far as pricing for the boat, you get what you get right now, otherwise someone else is right behind you to get it. Of course trying doesn't hurt. See if they will throw in a Coast Guard safety kit (PFD's, rope, anchor, air horn, etc.) and also see if they will offer you a discount on anything you purchase from them directly for a period of time. 10-20% off stuff.

Some people don't buy warranties and that is fine. I do on big things. I may never need them, but If the engine goes that is 10k plus. Highly unlikely but I personally am not willing to take the risk. If anything, if you decide to sell, a warranty makes it more attractive and you can get a slightly higher price for it potentially.
Yep i got coast guard safety kit and anchor/lines, dock lines. They also thew in an extended aft sun shade that im still waiting for. I forgot about that.

Kalg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just spoke to another dealer and he said they will get the pre-order sheet fir 2022 in July, in fews weeks. In that sheet they will tell yamaha how many and which models they will need. Then dealer said that they will start seeing 2022 from end of July and beginning of August. This matches which the 2021 AR190 buyer video uploads done on 30JUL2020.

I have put my name on 2021 for now. Thank you.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just spoke to another dealer and he said they will get the pre-order sheet fir 2022 in July, in fews weeks. In that sheet they will tell yamaha how many and which models they will need. Then dealer said that they will start seeing 2022 from end of July and beginning of August. This matches which the 2021 AR190 buyer video uploads done on 30JUL2020.

Great that you going for the 2021.

What happened last year cannot be used as to what is going to happen this year. Just because dealers fill out the sheet doesn't mean they are getting what they want or any 2022's in the near future. Boats that they ordered in the Summer of 2020 have still not come in or have been cancelled. As long as there are shortages in parts, components and labor this will continue for quite some time.

When a solid opportunity arises that fits your situation you should grab it.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not much to add to the great advice HangOutdoors and others have already offered. I think you're smart to take the 2021 MY; that's the only way to guarantee having a boat for this summer. I don't think the AR190 is in line for any major updates this year so the only difference for the 2022 MY will probably be a different color and a higher price tag (expect 3% increase in prices with the new model year).

ryanfromokc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

Sorry, but that is funniest thing I have heard in a long time. (sarcasm)

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

On a side note, I never thought of buying a boat. But earlier this month, my 2 young kids were playing in a lake park near a boat and the owner was not so friendly. To be fair, maybe he was having a bad day. I felt sad looking at the kids and decided to get one. And when I get one, I will definitely give rides to others to see their happy faces.

Buy now, if that’s the boat you want!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am sure the remaining unfinished boats waiting on parts will get vin tagged as 2022 if they are not finished by the end of August

ChrisF

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2021 AR190 just got canceled. The dealers received bad news yesterday. Switch to 2022 with a jul-aug delivery. Don't know the color. You should check to see if you're 2021 is still coming in.

Kalg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2021 AR190 just got canceled. The dealers received bad news yesterday. Switch to 2022 with a jul-aug delivery. Don't know the color. You should check to see if you're 2021 is still coming in.
Sorry to hear that. I spoke on Sunday and he said 2 to 3 weeks. Will check again on this. Thank you.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They are going to have '22s out before I can get a cover for my '21.

JetBoatCaptain

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

Buy the 2021, this model series is relatively new and the only changes would be graphics.