• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Scarab 195 vs Yamaha 190

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between both boats. In all the videos I watched the Scarab is suppose to be more quiet, roomier, able to close off the wind from the cockpit, more options with seating and a better propulsion system. Yamaha seems to be more reliable and a little less money. I would love to hear from anyone who has had both boats or have tested each boat and have an opinion of one over the other. I'm looking at basic models for each brand. While I'm leaning toward the Scarab but have not seen one in person but saw a sx190 Yamaha today. Thanks

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I can't add too much more info. But I will say that I'm sure others will argue that the Yamaha propulsion system is better than Scarab. In my opinion, they both have pros and cons, it's a matter of what you prefer. But I wouldn't say one is more reliable than the other based on what I've seen. They both require maintenance otherwise things break. They both may have bad luck causing things to break. But if you maintain them, and use them well, they both seem very reliable. I personally prefer the steering capabilities in neutral of Scarab by far. That is a really, really nice feature to have. I find the pump access via ports almost useless in my case. I've never had weeds caught in there causing this type of issue. If weeds get in, they get spit out. If it gets caught on the intake grate (rare, but it does happen), I just do a flat spin maneuver to get rid of it. The only time I needed access was when I ingested a stick after idling in 1 foot of water. lol KNOWING I was doing so. Aka, not a smart move.

Otherwise, on the fit and features, I'll let others comment since I don't own either of those boats.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Here is a pic of the 2021 Scarab. The back bucket seats are really nice. They also fold down if you want to lay out. My wife would love this. They look more comfortable then the seats in the Yamaha. Saw a video comparing the two not sure how much was sales but the reviewer was pointing out how the Scarab had improved on the Yamaha 190 design but that was for 2016 models. I just read that the parent company of Scarab is phasing out the brand over the next 5 years. Scarab | 195 ID

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That's sharp looking (picture from website). I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna love it. My best advise is to buy your second boat first. Maybe you were looking at the 165 and decided on this; IDK. I have the Chap VRX223 (twin 250s) and love the way it handles. The power and steering are fantastic. I'm up on plane in 3 seconds and can knock anybody out of the boat. Docking is super simple doe to their bucket design. If the Scarab is equipped with iST, you'll be able to find "true neutral". The boat will spin around in one spot; amazing!

Good luck!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So the Scarab brand was not being "phased out". It was for sale (apparently the brand has been sold many times before, a relatively common practice for huge companies that are trying to maximize profits). Yet, very few of us even knew this and it didn't change much.

The latest news I've seen is actually quite encouraging for the brand. 2020 was a record year for many industries including Scarab. They apparently can't keep up with demand. So apparently the parent company is now keeping them... I've also read they are trying to increase manufacturing capabilities. I don't think you need to worry too much about this. Make sure you have a dealer you can work with of course though. That IS a problem for many Scarab owners that are in more remote locations. If you don't have a dealer, be ready to learn how to do things yourself.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I do not know about all Yamaha shops but some work on Scarab now. That's a huge plus. I wish they would pick up Chap 🤞

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Here is a pic of the 2021 Scarab. The back bucket seats are really nice. They also fold down if you want to lay out. My wife would love this. They look more comfortable then the seats in the Yamaha. Saw a video comparing the two not sure how much was sales but the reviewer was pointing out how the Scarab had improved on the Yamaha 190 design but that was for 2016 models.
We have a 2019 195 ID and no changes other than a new color, I believe, with the 2021. The rear seats are one of it's best features. It really gives you the best of all worlds without sacrificing much. My wife loves the fold down sun pad.

That being said, since I've never owned a Yamaha, I can't give you a fair comparison to the 190. All I can say is that it appears the smaller brands (Scrarab, Chaparal, etc) have forced Yamaha to up it's game and improve things like maneouverability, dashboard, etc...

Also, to the best of my knowledge, you will pay more for a Scarab than a comperable Yamaha.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
How did you know I like to upgrade. My budget is telling me I have to buy my first boat first. :)

That's sharp looking (picture from website). I can pretty much guarantee you're gonna love it. My best advise is to buy your second boat first. Maybe you were looking at the 165 and decided on this; IDK. I have the Chap VRX223 (twin 250s) and love the way it handles. The power and steering are fantastic. I'm up on plane in 3 seconds and can knock anybody out of the boat. Docking is super simple doe to their bucket design. If the Scarab is equipped with iST, you'll be able to find "true neutral". The boat will spin around in one spot; amazing!

Good luck!

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Apparently the fold down sunpad is an option. Not every 195 has that. Too bad. I'm glad you are enjoying your boat. Did you buy it new? What engine do you have? Is there anything you would change? Thanks!

We have a 2019 195 ID and no changes other than a new color, I believe, with the 2021. The rear seats are one of it's best features. It really gives you the best of all worlds without sacrificing much. My wife loves the fold down sun pad.

That being said, since I've never owned a Yamaha, I can't give you a fair comparison to the 190. All I can say is that it appears the smaller brands (Scrarab, Chaparal, etc) have forced Yamaha to up it's game and improve things like maneouverability, dashboard, etc...

Also, to the best of my knowledge, you will pay more for a Scarab than a comperable Yamaha.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm very excited - I just put money down on a 2020 195 ID Scarad with only 20 hours on the engine. An older gentleman bought it and realized the boat wasn't for him. Unfortunately, the boat doesn't have a tower or some of the cool upgrades you can get like digital dash. The boat does have the Cognac interior, upgraded mats, upgraded aluminum wheels on trailer, and 300HP engine. The dealer is including a safety package too. The boat is detailed and spotless. The boat also has a Scarab snap on cover and bimini top. Yamaha only offers a 1 year warranty. Scarab gives a 3 year warranty so I have two years left on the engine and I think 4 years left on the hull. The previous owner scratched up the graphics so dealer is putting on new graphics and servicing the boat so I don't have to worry until 100 hours is on the speeds. I wanted to thank everyone for their help. boat 5.JPG
boat 4.JPG
boat 3.JPG
boat 2.JPGboat 1.JPG

gdsjr24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Looks great. The boat also looks bigger than 19 feet and some odd inches. I considered Scarab but the dealer here would not call me back after the last offer I made on a boat they had in stock. Ordered the 212X hopefully I’ll like it.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
She's beautiful! Didn't take you long! Lol Now make sure the dealer explains things to you. Maintenance hours, dash lights, when maintenance should be done, features, steering, etc. Less surpsises is a good thing with a boat. And if you have any technical questions, the forum is great for this. Also feel free to PM me anytime.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for the great advice. I will make a list of questions when I go pick it up. We are waiting on graphics to come in so it might be another week or so. The dealer went as far to put new tires on the trailer because he said the ones that came with the trailer was ugly. Most people who buy boats probably don't care about the tires on the trailer. The trailer does have brakes which is nice. Has are you liking your 165. That is a great little boat. What motor do you have?

She's beautiful! Didn't take you long! Lol Now make sure the dealer explains things to you. Maintenance hours, dash lights, when maintenance should be done, features, steering, etc. Less surpsises is a good thing with a boat. And if you have any technical questions, the forum is great for this. Also feel free to PM me anytime.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Based on what I've seen on this forum, most DO care about their tires. lol But we're a bunch of keeners. ;)

I've completed 4 seasons with it now. A little over 180h. She's not a perfect boat, but she is a great boat for us. Like all boats, she needs regular maintenance. But we've had no catastrophic issues ... yet. I've only got the 150HP. We purposefully didn't want the higher power. My wife and I aren't speed folks and we didn't want the maintenance of the super charger since we don't care about the speed. The 300HP has a maintenance free super charger, but that didn't exist then. At 150HP, we still hit about 42mph. Plenty for us especially when we spend most of our time around 30mph.

We've been very happy with it overall. Had great adventures all over! And she still turns heads every time we get to a marina. lol So many people have questions, especially when they see us rotate 180 degrees while standing still in one spot. Or back into a dock slot. I've even had a guy once thinking we were about to hit the dock and was panicking. lol Fun stuff!

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Apparently the fold down sunpad is an option. Not every 195 has that. Too bad. I'm glad you are enjoying your boat. Did you buy it new? What engine do you have? Is there anything you would change? Thanks!
I have the 300. I'm pretty happy with it. It's my second boat. The first was a 21' Sea-doo but this one feels bigger (it's bigger on the inside?!). The only thing I might change is to get the 215. Planning on going to the Bimini Islands this summer and the redundancy of he extra engine would be nice. It'd be nice to have when boating on Lake Michigan too. Plus,lets face it, who doesn't want to go a few mph faster? :)

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I think you will love the 212 from what I've read. Good luck with the new boat. Sorry the Scarab dealer was such an ass. I hope I have good luck with my new boat too.

Looks great. The boat also looks bigger than 19 feet and some odd inches. I considered Scarab but the dealer here would not call me back after the last offer I made on a boat they had in stock. Ordered the 212X hopefully I’ll like it.

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm glad you're enjoying your boat. I do like the seating arrangement in the 195. It looks way more comfortable then the Yamaha 195 which is also a nice boat. Where do you launch from to go to the Bimini Islands. Is this in Florida? Sounds like fun. I was thinking of buying a trolling motor as a backup incase of an engine failure, etc.

I have the 300. I'm pretty happy with it. It's my second boat. The first was a 21' Sea-doo but this one feels bigger (it's bigger on the inside?!). The only thing I might change is to get the 215. Planning on going to the Bimini Islands this summer and the redundancy of he extra engine would be nice. It'd be nice to have when boating on Lake Michigan too. Plus,lets face it, who doesn't want to go a few mph faster? :)

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The 165 is a looker for sure. I'm glad to hear you haven't had any major issues. I hate to say this but I'm a speed junkie. Not sure if the lake I'm on will lend myself to try her out. For the most part the wife and I will be putting around and fishing. It's pretty cold here so I will be tortured until April when things warm up. I found a dock slip too. The local marina just added more slips. The charge a lot of money for people who boat by the day and don't have a slip. They really don't want non-residents to have access. That makes for good fishing. It sounds like you have the perfect boat for your needs. Have you tried wake boarding or water skiing. My uncle said he would teach me.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, most DO care about their tires. lol But we're a bunch of keeners. ;)

I've completed 4 seasons with it now. A little over 180h. She's not a perfect boat, but she is a great boat for us. Like all boats, she needs regular maintenance. But we've had no catastrophic issues ... yet. I've only got the 150HP. We purposefully didn't want the higher power. My wife and I aren't speed folks and we didn't want the maintenance of the super charger since we don't care about the speed. The 300HP has a maintenance free super charger, but that didn't exist then. At 150HP, we still hit about 42mph. Plenty for us especially when we spend most of our time around 30mph.

We've been very happy with it overall. Had great adventures all over! And she still turns heads every time we get to a marina. lol So many people have questions, especially when they see us rotate 180 degrees while standing still in one spot. Or back into a dock slot. I've even had a guy once thinking we were about to hit the dock and was panicking. lol Fun stuff!

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Where do you launch from to go to the Bimini Islands. Is this in Florida? Sounds like fun.
Check out this thread for Bimini info. Ya, leaving from Florida. Ft. Lauderdale to be exact.