• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 VX HO vs GP1800 HO

Markfleming77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I see threads comparing everything but the VX HO and the GP1800 HO. Since they have the same hull and engine what’s sets them apart? Which is better?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi,

Other than price and SC nothing

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 2021 gp Waverunner has launch control / turning assist (aka auto trim). It’s and industry first, no other Waverunner or any mfg pwc has it. They also moved the center of gravity and reshaped the seat on the gp.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder how they moved the center of gravity when the hulls and engine is the same.
How do they do launch control on a waverunner?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No supercharger on either. Both are NA

Oops
:happy:
Sorry for wrong comparison

I had a 15 VXR and 14 FX SHO when the GP1800 came out following year or two it was the VXR bottom and different deck but I thought they all had SVHO.
Not sure of bells and whistle that each one gives you but if you go NA the VXR HO bare bone with iRide is ~13K
The GP1800 is the VXR bigger brother may be same bottom but different top/color but iirc a bigger pump.
Either way you price NA VXR or GP your the same but I would go FX as its more comfortable and extra space is a plus.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The GP1800r HO is pretty much an improved VXR(which is out of the line up)
GP1800r HO sounds faster lol.
It still lacks the 160 mm pump all HO skis and boats have 155mm pump.
So speed/ performance should be similar to last years VXR

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The GP1800r HO is pretty much an improved VXR(which is out of the line up)
GP1800r HO sounds faster lol.
It still lacks the 160 mm pump all HO skis and boats have 155mm pump.
So speed/ performance should be similar to last years VXR
I'll take any NA 1800 with lightest dry weight then.
I looked up on yamaha VX and GP and its confusing with their nomenclature.
May be couple pounds but worth it vs comparing two of the same with different name especially if yamaha is still using bottom from their VXR's.
It's hard to get middle 60's out of them. Otherwise you jump on SC bandwagon and deal with premium and carrying extra fuel.

I'll always be NA or if I could afford turbo swap.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wonder how they moved the center of gravity when the hulls and engine is the same.
How do they do launch control on a waverunner?
They moved the position of the fuel tank and optimized the the trim by automatimg it.
see the video at 1:45 for improvements, 4:45 for launch and cornering control and 8:45 for the CG change information.

my wife just got a 2021 na fx, if I buy a new ski it will probably be a 2021 na gp 1800.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think if you want a more comfortable ride get the FX, if performance is more your thing the GP and if you are in the middle the VX. FX and GP can be purchased with a supercharger, for $2,000 plus tax more, I don’t know about the VX.