• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 212S must get items

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Today I put a non refundable deposit on a new 212s. I'm planning to pick her up this Saturday. Beautiful boat. I got the gray interior and white/gray/green exterior. It's the only on left from NC to MI to NJ. I am getting her for 2 seasons. I purchased a 4 year Y.E.S extended warranty thinking it'll help me sell the boat when its time. Unlike every G@% damn boat I get, this time I want to invest as little as possible on mods and upgrades but.... there are always must get items.

I am hoping to trailer the boat to FL in two weeks with my wife and 6 year old daughter for winter brake and I was hoping to get some advice here. Maybe in this short time window I can fit my boat with the "must have items". The dealer is giving me free of charge (or maybe part of the dealer prep fee) 4 bumpers, dock lines, galvanized fluke type anchor with chain and rope and salt off kit with dispenser and a small container. All the items I asked for, He offers PFDs but I declined. I have all the PFDs I need. Do I need flares? I have the Coast Guard app and under the "required equipment" I see no signal device

I am planning to beach the boat all the times so I went ahead and ordered Keel guard (a must imho).

I am hoping to fit it in my garage so I am not sure about a cover. An OEM one from the dealer is $944 + tax. Do they come cheaper? Is it worth it? I am going to get the original cover that the boat was transported from the factory with and it is heavy duty with rachet straps etc. Its good to have if I want to store the boat outdoor.

Anyone can tell if a thrust vector is worth it? Does it make a big difference? Did I miss anything? Is there anything I need to know about this boat the manual won't tell me?
Thank you all in advance!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
You definitely need signal devices in coastal waters. I would HIGHLY recommend the mooring cover. Mine was included in my deal (212SE). The dealer recommended using this cover when towing long distance. (not locally). Make sure you PFD's are rated for open waters. Ski vests won't suffice Coast Guard requirements. I boat on fresh water lakes, but have all the requirements for offshore. You'll want a VHF radio as well, especially since you have your daughter on board. I'm saying this assuming you are going in the gulf, and not on fresh water lakes in FL.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you need some kind of flare or other signal device and it’s a good idea even if not required.

Yamaha cover is very nice but I wouldn’t buy one if I didn’t need it for outdoor storage.

Fins are helpful by try the boat withoutthem first and see what you think.

ilikejets

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thrust vectors were worth it for me. Much quicker response at slow speeds. I bought the newest version at the end of year but a month later they have a newer version with better hardware. Seems to be constantly evolving.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Before you add any steering drive the boat and see if you even need it, if you do you will probably discover that the boat has numerous issues like high speed tracking and serious loss of speed when making a turn on plane as well as total loss of control when turning and slowing down rapidly at the same time, MY super magnum ak-19 deluxe handles all those issues and it even has the patented second tie rod for balance and redundancy in the system plus plaining surfaces for a faster hole shot , a smoother ride in chop and a cleaner wake for watersport activities. MY systems are tempered aluminum and adjustable plus they change their level of influence automatically for slow speed steering in forward and reverse , then return to the influence setting that you chose for Your personal needs at plaining speed. If you are going to improve the steering you really should do it all the way and get the most features and benefits available to you. The super magnum ak-19 deluxe is buy direct discount priced at only $489.99 with free domestic priority mail. https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/

Attachments

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thank you all for the replies. Cobra, I used to have a 242 that I purchased used with thrust vectors. Today I am heading to the dealer to pick up a 2022 212S. I am looking at the picture you attached. If I am in very shallow water and hit your fin on a rock (I see it below the hull) does it move upward or bend? Also, where are you located in FL?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you all for the replies. Cobra, I used to have a 242 that I purchased used with thrust vectors. Today I am heading to the dealer to pick up a 2022 212S. I am looking at the picture you attached. If I am in very shallow water and hit your fin on a rock (I see it below the hull) does it move upward or bend? Also, where are you located in FL?
The system I showed you in the picture is the super magnum ak-19 deluxe I have the fins considerably above the rudder so regardless of what fins you buy the rudder is most likely going to be the contact point with the ground , and I also make the fin bracket out of a softer aluminum that gives if it is contacted by a solid object I have a couple of pictures one was a boat that broke loose from it's anchor and hit the beach backward , ripped the rudder clean off the boat however my steering came out just fine and I have one where a traffic accident caused a fin to rotate up with no harm to the boat or nozzle etc, the brackets are made to give just so in any collision they allow the fins to rotate up and the system is covered under my repair or replace warranty although they are easy to straighten out. And
That being said I also have a set that are spring loaded for people who feel they need them due to shallow water or obstructions in the water.
It is called the super ultimate ak-19 deluxe it has all the same features , adjustable influence, second tie rod, plaining surfaces, super fins and it also has the springs to allow then to flip up on contact. These provide excellent steering just as the super magnum ak-19 deluxe however they cost about 40 dollars more per nozzle. I usually recommend them if you use a forklift to dry dock your boat just to be on the safe side otherwise I see no reason to spend the extra money.

Attachments

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do yourself a favor before you tow a long distance replace the bias tires with radials. Also get the cover, you will want it for trailering.

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
What length Keel guard did you go with? We just got a 212 this off season and need to install one as well.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
What length Keel guard did you go with? We just got a 212 this off season and need to install one as well.
I went with 10 feet. Recommended length was 8 feet. 2 extra feet is not going to hurt anything.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Go for the 12 foot, I put a 10 on my 195 and it's perfect. If I had a 21 I would definitely do a 12

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I went with 12. Maximum protection.

smrpilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What color did you go with for your Grey/Green 212S? Any pictures? We're looking at the same boat and taking our test drive today. I've run keelguards for years and they are a must!

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The white, gray, and green grew on me very quickly. Especially since the upholstery is white and gray (I don't dig that brown). Keel guard has a green that is a total match to the boat green. I took the longest available (24')

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Btw, at the time I got it (MEGAWARE KEELGUARD Boat Keel and...) off of Amazon, it was the cheapest at $184 after tax. That "hunter green" was least popular. My gain...

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This may not be a must have item, but if you are beaching a lot and using the ladder on the bow, it is really hard to climb on the anchor locker especially for little kids and older people. I just installed handles on both sides of the locker. It's a $34 item on Amazon.

If you are going for that, remember to measure twice and drill once. Also, Put a large flat washer the size of the handle to find the flattest point next to the curve. Use painter tape. Drill in reverse initially to save the gelcoat from cracking, and watch out for wires under the drill location (they are there!).

Attachments

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just installed handles on boat sides of the locker. It's a $34 item on Amazon.
That's a great upgrade for those who use the bow ladder - mine's never been out.
:rolleyes:
Nice clean install and usable.