• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 255X reverse Bucket issue experience

I am new to this forum, but I have a new 2022 255 FSH E since July. I have had now two events that have locked the starboard side reverse bucket getting locked in the down position. The first time I could not clear the lock, mostly for lack of knowledge (or a manual) on how this system even works. I brought it to the dealer and basically they said they charged the batteries and cycled power to clear the issue. The first time it happened it was when launching the boat and reversing that I got the warning on the screen and could not clear it. The boat has over 50 hours on it already and it is used for many hours of offshore fishing on a weekly basis. I do not think that the Battery can be drained by the DVSR sensor in that short of a period (one week). Any thoughts? I am ready to sell this boat if this keeps happening.

i doubt the DVSR is going to drain batteries that fast. Maybe after seversl werks or a couple months but not in a few days.

That being said…. If your batteries aren’t good and not holding a charge well, these things do seem to be sensitive to voltage irregularities. Might be worth testing them.

My boat came with Interstate Batteries. The manual said they should be 85Ah but I have not verified it but they are a Group 24. When the time comes, I might opt for a 105Ah, like this Duracell that is a dual purpose battery (they are made in the USA).

The other interesting things is the DVSR keeps the batteries connected at all times or until the primary battery drops below 12.8v. This is opposite of how a Battery Isolation Manager device works such that it only engages when a battery bank needs to be charged.

If house batteries is bad, it could drop the voltage of the starting battery since they are tied together as long as the starting battery is over 12.8v… and maybe that’s when problems start? But at 12.8V the battery is still about 90% SOC.

I also don’t think we can rule out software or sensor issues either.

Last edited:
The other interesting things is the DVSR keeps the batteries connected at all times or until the primary battery drops below 12.8v. This is opposite of how a Battery Isolation Manager device works such that it only engages when a battery bank needs to be charged.
Unless your DVSR is defective, if the red light is still on then your DVSR has a voltage somewhere above 12.8v. The normal resting voltage of fully charged flooded or AGM batteries should be about 12.6-12.7v. Some AGM batteries rest at or above 12.8v so the DVSR won't disconnect - I'm guessing that's your issue.

Unless your DVSR is defective, if the red light is still on then your DVSR has a voltage somewhere above 12.8v. The normal resting voltage of fully charged flooded or AGM batteries should be about 12.6-12.7v. Some AGM batteries rest at or above 12.8v so the DVSR won't disconnect - I'm guessing that's your issue.

I did post that in the information about how the BEP DVSR operates.

I'm used to a BIM (Battery Isolation Manager) used in motorhomes that have a bank of starting batteries and a bank of house batteries. The BIM does not keep the banks tied together unless one bank drops below 12.6V. When the voltage does drop below 12.6V, the relay kicks in to charge the bank that dropped below 12.6V.

I also think Yamaha dropped the ball by not choosing to use the Optional Storage Mode and running the wire to the ignition so the DVSR is only operational when the ignition is on.

With all this being said, and obviously voltage is going to be an issue for the lifetime of our boats (I also have a 22 255XD)…. Any suggestions on a quality battery to replace the stock ones when the time come …. Which I predict will be sooner than later…. LoL!….
Unfortunately my boat is stored at the lake I frequent (Lake Havasu), about 4 hours away. It could be sitting for weeks or months in the winter, without being used…. And really no way to keep the batteries on a ‘tender’. Sounds like I better be prepared to bring a battery charger with me when I go out?….
Also sounds like I should install a positive disconnect on both batteries. Seeing as how I also noticed last time I shut the boat down, that there was that red light on….. sounds like that light will always be slowly draining the batteries?
Thanks for all your info concerning this!!!!!

Couldnt you hook up a temp solar charger just to keep the batteries topped off? It wont bring back a dead battery but it should overcome any parasitic losses from not using it for such long periods.

The BIM does not keep the banks tied together unless one bank drops below 12.6V. When the voltage does drop below 12.6V, the relay kicks in to charge the bank that dropped below 12.6V.
That wouldn't work in a boat though because it requires the engines to charge the batteries under typical use. If you're listening to tunes in the boat, and the voltage drops to 12.6v then ties the two batteries together, you could end up draining both the house and start batteries leaving you stranded with two dead batteries. The purpose of the start battery isolation is to prevent it from draining while floating. In a motorhome there are gensets and shore lines to offer power to charge as well as the engine.
I also think Yamaha dropped the ball by not choosing to use the Optional Storage Mode and running the wire to the ignition so the DVSR is only operational when the ignition is on.
They could have done that, but under normal circumstances it's simply not required and adds extra cost. The option is there for you to change the DVSR mode for non-standard battery use.

That wouldn't work in a boat though because it requires the engines to charge the batteries under typical use. If you're listening to tunes in the boat, and the voltage drops to 12.6v then ties the two batteries together, you could end up draining both the house and start batteries leaving you stranded with two dead batteries. The purpose of the start battery isolation is to prevent it from draining while floating. In a motorhome there are gensets and shore lines to offer power to charge as well as the engine.

Actually.... there is no difference between the RV application and the boat application. You don't want the BIM to tie the chassis batteries to ten house batteries when using 12V appliances in the house. The BIM has a post so you can run a wire that ties it to the ignition so the two battery can only be tied together when the ignition is on and the engine is running.

Last edited:
Back