• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2022 AR195 won't crank and dash display doesn't power on

bishes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We bought this boat last summer, it worked great all year. We're in the north so I had to put it away for the winter. I pulled it out of storage today and installed the batteries that have been on a trickle charger all winter. The connext screen doesn't turn on and the engine doesn't turn over. I'm pretty handy and good with fixing cars and stuff but this has me at a loss. I made sure all the wires are hooked up properly, three ground wires and the positive going to the battery switch. I tried both batteries individually and combined via the switch. Both batteries are healthy and 12 volts. The lights all work, the bilge pump and blower work too. I checked all the fuses I could find and nothing was blown. I'm sure whatever I'm missing is going to end up being painfully obvious but I'm not seeing it. Before I drag it to the dealer this week, does anyone have any ideas for things to look at or try?

MSAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, I hope this doesn't insult you, but I'm speaking from 1st time boat owner experience last summer...got it in neutral?

bishes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
At this point nothing will insult me. It is in neutral and the hatch is closed. I'm thinking the safety switches aren't necessarily the issue here because the connext display isn't powering up when I turn the key to On. I appreciate the idea though!

MSAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another thought...safety lanyard (the thing you're supposed to attach to your wrist) fully seated?

bishes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yeah, that's on and fully seated.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure on your boat but older ones have a main fuse by the dvsr

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do a load test on the battery it should not drop below 10 volts when cranking so hook jumper cables directly to the ground and the starter terminal

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would check the hatch safety switches again. I tighten mine up last fall and they were loose on the first start of the year. (Guess they’re getting loctite.) I don’t have Connext, so can’t say what it not turning on says, but it often seems to be weak battery or loose connections. Check throttles, lanyard, and clean out hatch, all the three things to check for on no crank. Then go to check battery, connections, and wiring.

Last edited:

bishes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I went through the safety switches again, pulling the plugs on each and testing for continuity referencing the shop manual and switch positions, and everything tested good.

I've checked the fuses in the fuse box and the two fuses next to the battery.

Up next is the battery load test.

bishes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Got the engine started, thanks for the help everyone. The dash display still isn't working but I'm assuming it's toast based on the seemingly high failure rate.

On a whim I unhooked the battery and cleaned up the terminals with a wire brush and it fired right up!

bishes

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Final follow up just in case someone else runs into this, cleaning the battery terminals wasn't the issue after all. Turns out there was a connector behind the dash that wasn't completely secure (the one that supplies power to the ignition switch and the connext display). No idea how it got loose but it clicked back into place and now the engine starts AND the connext screen turns on.