• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2022 Yamaha 212XD -CHECK ENGINE- Stop Steering

plove777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I purchased a new Yamaha 212XD about a month ago, put less than 10 hrs on it, had initial maintenance performed, took back to lake, ran from launch to dock, then listened to stereo at dock for hour or so with both red PERCOs on, yellow one off. Got in boat, started both engines, went for a ride, got low voltage light- 11.8 volts, kept driving to charge batteries, got a Check Engine Light that said "Stop Steering. Open service valve of pump, Move cylinder to center position. Using the two remote control levers, perform the boat steering......Consult dealer". I opened valve, was unable to move cylinder, closed valve. Dealer service tech says the Yamaha boats can issue random alerts when voltage is low. They recommend I check the bolts on the terminal where battery cables come together and then beyond that, to check the fuses. Boat steers fine - WTH is going on. Boat is 5 hrs away so working on it is a pain in the you know what. Anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_4665 (1).jpg
    IMG_4665 (1).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 34
I had this issue when I first purchased my 2021 255XD - same as you (less than 10 hours). Boat stays at Boatel (also where dealer is). They took it in, talked to Yamaha, and ended up resetting the alarm by performing Connext software/firmware upgrade (this was after they had done all the checks you mentioned above in your post - including checking wiring harnesses, connectors, and batt terminals). Haven't had the issue since with 111 hours on the boat now. I will say that the boats do tend to throw strange errors when batts get low, but never had any functional issues, and they naturally clear after batts got back to thresholds and boat went through normal shutdown/startup (sometimes it takes 3 times with ~5 mins in between to reset) Start boat, shutdown boat, turn off key, kill batt switches, wait 5 mins, repeat.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, that makes me feel better. I've owned Yamaha outboards off and on for decades and never ever had a problem. I thought I got a lemon. Yamaha needs to fix that problem - check engine lights and trips to dealers will kill repeat sales, especially when caused by a simple drained or dead battery!!!!

Thanks so much, that makes me feel better. I've owned Yamaha outboards off and on for decades and never ever had a problem. I thought I got a lemon. Yamaha needs to fix that problem - check engine lights and trips to dealers will kill repeat sales, especially when caused by a simple drained or dead battery!!!!

Trust me, I was quite unhappy and thought I had a Lemon too! That said, once that issue was resolved, the boat has been rock solid! Get through this and enjoy!

One last question. I only had the stereo on for an hour or so and according to the dealer that shouldn't draw down the battery enough to get a low voltage light. I guess that's why they want me to check all the connections for a short. My question is - does your alternator recharge your batteries or do you have to put it on a charger? It only dropped to like 11.8 volts when I got that Steering Alert?

These boats don't have alternators. They have generators which replenish power far slower than your traditional alternator system. So yes, the generator does charge the batts, but if you're going through lots of no wake zones, then sitting and floating, then more no wakes - or not enough time at higher revs/speeds you can see the batteries start to suffer. I would also check the types of batteries your dealer installed (assuming the 212 has dual batteries), as the batts come from the dealer - not Yamaha. Lots of dealers put in 2 starter batteries. Not immediately an issue, but also not ideal.

If floating for a long time, I will generally start the boat and leave it in neutral but in "No Wake Mode 2" to get some revs. I also have a charger on mine for top-ups. If you have a dual-battery system you will need to look at the DSR switch though - otherwise the "Smart Chargers" will act more like a dumb charger (lots of posts on here about that).

Any no worries on the questions - ask away. That's what we're here for!

I'm pretty sure it has dual batteries (two red PERCOs, one yellow PERCO to put batteries in parallel, and a DSR as well). We have a dock so I don't plan on "floating and swimming" from the boat alot. Mainly will be pulling skiers, wakeboarders and wake surfing. I may have dealer install onboard charger however.

I'm pretty sure it has dual batteries (two red PERCOs, one yellow PERCO to put batteries in parallel, and a DSR as well). We have a dock so I don't plan on "floating and swimming" from the boat alot. Mainly will be pulling skiers, wakeboarders and wake surfing. I may have dealer install onboard charger however.

Yup - that's dual batt. If you're pulling and such, then no, 1 hour with the radio (especially if stock radio) would not be an issue for batts. I float for several hours with no issues.

Might have a short somewhere or the software is causing something to drain batteries fast. May charge them with a conventional charger then go through the reset process and see what happens.

Should this ground wire be connected to a battery wire ( it says “must be connected to common battery negative) that comes out of Digital BEP? If so, which battery ?F61E214B-E737-4AB6-AD12-FE880ECED183.jpegF61E214B-E737-4AB6-AD12-FE880ECED183.jpeg

Should this ground wire be connected to a battery wire ( it says “must be connected to common battery negative) that comes out of Digital BEP? If so, which battery ?View attachment 188513View attachment 188513
Yes it needs to be connected or the DVSR wont activate to charge your house battery. It should be connected to the Starter Battery I believe.

Back