• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

203 VRX Woes

dtiff13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I understand that top end speed isn't everything. The problem is if I take out a couple people and some gear out on the lake, I don't have enough power to pull anyone due to the weight. It just doesn't have enough grunt and anytime I turn the boat, all the speed just bleeds off.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So get this, the dealer owner called me today and informed me that after more testing, they found out that Chap put in the wrong motor (2oo hp) and labeled it as a 250! I couldn't believe it, but it all made sense. They are offering to buy it back at full price or throw a ton of stuff in for free if I keep it (stereo system, wakeboards, etc). I told him I'd think about it, but I'm leaning towards buy back. I'm not sure what else is wrong and I'm pretty sure I have a lemon. Any thoughts?
That's crazy. But, I kind of agree with @DieselCamel. The truth is - with a single engine, 200 or 250 will not be a huge difference. If you want to go double, I would consider the buy back, but otherwise - I don't know. You have an honest dealer on your side with a possibility of negotiating a great extended warranty etc. May not be a bad deal after all.

EDIT: I saw your post - for pulling power an extra pump will do a lot more than extra 50 hp. Those pumps max out in terms of thrust/efficiency just about 200hp. I don't know if BRP makes larger pumps for those HO engines - like the Yamaha SVHO 160mm (vs the standard Yamaha 150mm).

--

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
This is nuts! It will probably affect resale to if you ever decide to sell it in the future. Give it up and get a new one

dtiff13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is nuts! It will probably affect resale to if you ever decide to sell it in the future. Give it up and get a new one
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. The only thing that really sucks in this whole deal is that I got a really good deal on the boat, and I have yet to find another one in the same price point. Also, I've got to figure out if I can get my sales tax back from Mississippi (bought in Alabama) as well as how my boat loan through USAA will be affected. If anyone has an experience with the financials of a returned boat, please let me know. Thanks!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy back! That's crazy... you should start fresh.
How could you start fresh if they didn't buy it back? He owns it and titled in his name. I would let them buy it back for full price plus taxes, fees, interest paid by you (if a loan involved), etc. The OP should be out ZERO money and start the transaction fresh. The could be a timing issue with credit (if a loan involved)...i.e., getting the current loan off of your credit scoring before the OP gets a new loan. Perhaps the credit can stand for 2 boat loans if not.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. The only thing that really sucks in this whole deal is that I got a really good deal on the boat, and I have yet to find another one in the same price point. Also, I've got to figure out if I can get my sales tax back from Mississippi (bought in Alabama) as well as how my boat loan through USAA will be affected. If anyone has an experience with the financials of a returned boat, please let me know. Thanks!
It's just like selling to anybody else....you aren't really returning to boat, you are selling it to them. The dealer will need to include all fees, including taxes in the sales price to make you whole. They (the dealer) will pay off your loan with USAA and get clear title, and you will get any net proceeds left over.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
How could you start fresh if they didn't buy it back? He owns it and titled in his name. I would let them buy it back for full price plus taxes, fees, interest paid by you (if a loan involved), etc. The OP should be out ZERO money and start the transaction fresh. The could be a timing issue with credit (if a loan involved)...i.e., getting the current loan off of your credit scoring before the OP gets a new loan. Perhaps the credit can stand for 2 boat loans if not.
That is what I was saying. They could buy it back and sell him the correct one at the same price net the taxes etc. this is a classic false advertisement case and I'm willing to bet they want to make it right.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes let them buy it back. As mentioned above the dealer is buying the boat and should sell you a new boat with the amount financed exactly as what the balance on the old boat was. Basically a swap to the right boat with no financial impact to you except you have a new loan. The dealer has to handle all the additional costs etc.

dtiff13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Drove over to the dealer yesterday, filled out the paperwork for the buy back, and collected all my items in the boat before I left. The wife and I have decided to eventually get another boat, but unfortunately it won't be a Chap. I can understand a small mistake here and there, but the wrong engine is a pretty big flub in my book. Looks like it will be a Yamaha for me. Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes let them buy it back. As mentioned above the dealer is buying the boat and should sell you a new boat with the amount financed exactly as what the balance on the old boat was. Basically a swap to the right boat with no financial impact to you except you have a new loan. The dealer has to handle all the additional costs etc.
Most banks will do a collateral swap as well. USAA might be to big of bank and a collateral swap might be a pita.

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a Glastron 207 with the same motor. I max out at 8000 rpm with 40mph and close to 45 if the lake is like glass and 45mph is rare. I don't think you will hit 50mph with a single engine and a boat that size.
I have a 2021 VRX203 with 300HP motor - it will do 50mph in good conditions. 45 for a 250 sounds about right. I used to get 50mph out of my Seadoo 180SE with 255HP but it was about 700 pounds lighter. The 2021 manual says speed is limited for first 3 hours then max is available - may have been more restrictive for earlier models. I see CHAPVRX had a bigger curve thrown at him - receiving wrong motor- OMG!. One problem I had with my custom order is they forgot to include the bow/cockpit cover when delivered - took another month to get it. I asked them to provide the shipping cover as a temporary fix - they said shipping cover was thrown away upon arrival at the dealer.
My experience with jet boat dealers and mechanics is none are trustworthy at all. In their defense they are not very familiar with the jet boat products.
I went through several horror stories with Seadoo mechanics when I had my 2009 180SE.