• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212 Limited S vs. 195S

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2019 Limited S and have been fairly happy with it. It is my first boat and I've used it for three seasons. My only issues are: 1. It's a little big wheeling it in and out of my garage, 2. Engines are a little noisy. I've been thinking of trading it in on a new 195S. I rarely take more than four people in the boat, and two captains chairs are important for me. The single engine 195S is supposedly only 3 mph slower than the 212, and I'll bet the single SVHO engine is a LOT quieter than the two HO engines in the 212. Has anyone here had experience with both boats or even boats similar in comparison?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Consider checking for review videos from boat test.com on you tube. You may not see the exact model years you are looking for but you shouldn’t need to and they often have decibel readings. I would not be surprised if the single supercharged engine is noisier than two non super charged engines.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had a 2017 Ar190 and now a 2020 212S. The 212S is definitely quieter than the 190, its still loud but a deeper tone. I think the newer 190's have "quiet cruise technology" aka more padding.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is strange: I also have a Waverunner with the SVHO engine and it is extremely quiet. Was hoping the SVHO in the boat might be equally so.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 190 was a screamer, before that I had a 1998 180 searay I/O that little boat whispered. Don't get me wrong my family and I had a lot of fun on the 190. My only complaint was the noise, and I did upgrade to another Yamaha. I wanted a Cobalt R5 but my wife didn't like the price tag 🙄

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah, the 195S is not a quite thing! Mine is loud AF as well. The only reason I got the 195 was so it would fit in my garage. If your 212 fits, even if it's tight, I'd say keep it. Everybody always wants bigger, rarely the reverse. Also, 2 engines is much safer in my mind. You always have a spare if something happens and you need to get back to the dock. With one, you're screwed. Main reason I would never do a Bimini crossing, I have a single engine boat. When it's time to repair them you can swap parts back and forth to target the real issue and save yourself some bucks. Lot's of reasons why 2 engines is better than one.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It is strange: I also have a Waverunner with the SVHO engine and it is extremely quiet. Was hoping the SVHO in the boat might be equally so.
Different animal - with the WR you're on top of the motor, wind in your ears, and a lot less compartment and fiberglass to become basically a large speaker for noise and vibration.

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All good info for me. Appreciate the answers from those with the experience. Looks like I'm better off keeping the 212.

Last edited:

Dthorpe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, I ended up selling the 212 LS today to a happy buyer. I'm definitely downsizing. Looks like it will take a year to get a new 195S, maybe more. Maybe I should look at a Cobalt, ha!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I ended up selling the 212 LS today to a happy buyer. I'm definitely downsizing. Looks like it will take a year to get a new 195S, maybe more. Maybe I should look at a Cobalt, ha!
Yeah, the 195S is not a quite thing! Mine is loud AF as well. The only reason I got the 195 was so it would fit in my garage. If your 212 fits, even if it's tight, I'd say keep it. Everybody always wants bigger, rarely the reverse. Also, 2 engines is much safer in my mind. You always have a spare if something happens and you need to get back to the dock. With one, you're screwed. Main reason I would never do a Bimini crossing, I have a single engine boat. When it's time to repair them you can swap parts back and forth to target the real issue and save yourself some bucks. Lot's of reasons why 2 engines is better than one.
Yea that’s my only frustration with the 195s. The engine noise is a bit much - wonder if anyone has figured out a way to dampen that a bit ??

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yea that’s my only frustration with the 195s. The engine noise is a bit much - wonder if anyone has figured out a way to dampen that a bit ??
I have ar195, I don't feel like the engine is excessively loud, but I guess everything is relative. Boat test has the decibels, we can look to see how it compares.

Ok, just looked, seems like 212 and 195 are almost the same actually.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Son of a bitch how did I miss this thread! I’d probably have bought your boat for the better connext and sold mine.

The sound really annoys me too but the rest of the boat makes up for it.