• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212S with MDX?

We gave up a chance to buy a 2020 AR240 so that we could get a smaller boat which the MDX could handle. Now I'm thinking about seeing if the AR240 is still available and figuring out another way to move it around. We definitely don't want to go smaller than 21 feet.
We considered the AR240 as well, knowing that it only weighed about 80lbs more, but the wife didn't like the big change room in front of her seat, and didn't care for the colour options (hated is the correct word), carpets not mats, lesser audio system, etc. We looked at the 242s as well, but again didn't like the layout and colours. The 212s fit what we wanted and everything else matched well for our needs, and it fit our towing capacity.
Maybe it's time to buy the wife a new Audi Q7 with a 7,700 pound towing capacity. Would that be enough? Or does her new car need to be a pickup?
A pickup is not required. However a new Q7 is always a welcome change! If MB can get a 2.0L turbo to pull 7700lbs, then I think just about anything is enough! :D

If you want to understand towing capacity here is an older but decent article on how manufacturers determine it.

http://www.trucktrend.com/news/163-0910-truck-towing-capacity

"When towing a trailer of any size, you need enough engine torque to get it launched from a stop, including uphill, and enough power to keep it moving at reasonable speeds up long, steep grades and to safely pass on two-lane roads. You need sufficient engine and driveline cooling to avoid overheating coolant or lubricants up long hills and in hot weather and sufficient brake capacity and cooling to safely descend long downhill grades. You don't want the trailer fishtailing or destabilizing your tow vehicle under any conditions, and you don't want to overload your tires, wheels, suspension, frame, or body structure."

"Vehicle synthesis engineer Jason Briggs adds that Chrysler (like everyone) uses a variety of public-road test sites: "Davis Dam in Arizona, which is used in the coming SAE standards, Eisenhower Grade in Colorado, Baker Grade in California. We do climate-control testing in Death Valley and in the Southeast for heavy heat and humidity. We also do city traffic, with and without trailers, for cooling performance." "

So I feel very comfortable towing up to a vehicle's limits which need to include loading in the vehicle. Of note, almost all vehicle's require trailer brakes to tow anything over 2,000lbs. Many of the older 19' boat trailers do not have brakes.

Thank you again all for your comments. I've read every one and they've been incredibly helpful.

My current plan is to stick with the MDX and stay scrupulous about keeping the combined weight of everything including passengers within the car's towing capacity. We'll see how that goes. If it's not working out, I'll figure out a way to borrow or rent a pickup truck.

The Q7 is going to have to wait until we've absorbed the cost of the boat. Just one toy at a time for this family.

Now back to watching the 2021 delivery threads to see when my 212S will arrive...

Does anyone have experience towing their 212S with a 2016-ish Acura MDX? We are considering a new 212S as our first boat and we have no experience towing or getting boats into and out of the water. We already passed on a 2020 AR240 because it seemed too heavy for the MDX.

We have already outfitted our car with the towing upgrade, which Acura says gives it a 5,000 pound towing capacity. 212S dry weight on trailer is 4600 pounds.

We will be keeping the boat at Rehoboth Beach in Delaware, so not a lot of hills or mountains. The furthest we can imagine towing it is via the relatively flat 100 mile stretch from the beach to Chesapeake Bay.

I've heard all kinds of things about how you shouldn't exceed 75% of towing capacity. Also not sure about actual weight vs. dry weight. So any experiences that people are open to sharing would be really helpful.

Thank you!

So I tow with my 2009 Acura MDX with no problem. I have a 23ft 2007 SX230 HO and it does just fine. I know for a fact the newer ones have a de-rated load capacity. The 2009 had a 5000lb and the newer ones have a 3000lb due to the trans. You should still be fine though.

Back