• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x rear ballast repair

Kofficer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Have a 2020 212x and wondering if anyone has had issues with those rear ballast hard tanks leaking? There was no visible leaks into the compartments but the water apparently went to the bottom of the hull and came out when pulling rear drain plug on trailer. Appears it would be very hard to remove these tanks for inspection.

Are you sure it is the tanks and not the anchor locker drain? That is most common.

I started another thread, determined it’s not the ballast , I think it may be the clean out plugs and leaking around the tray on top but it is quite a bit of water in only a couple hours of being on lake. I’ve heard about the anchor locker drain but not sure where it is, how to fix and can a lot of water come in there. Can you explain please? I do know if o look in the front compartment where anchor is, there is no water at all in there.

The water enters between the inner and outer wall. It is poorly sealed from the manufacturer. It has been going on for years. Guys with newer boat will have to chime in to determine if Yamaha has got serious about fixing it. Take some close up pictures of the anchor locker drain from the inside and post them.

I found some threads and see the issue, mine appears to be ok, however, I can find a makeshift plug to go in there to see if it helps. If so then I can do a permanent fix.I kinda doubt it’s my issue since we only had two in the boat, and the amount of water tha came in. Not going to rule it out though, thanks

I have a 2020 212x and I'd be hard pressed to believe it's the hard tanks. Even in proper wake boats you rarely hear of hard tank issues. Every now and again a fitting will gain a crack or leak when they get super old. Then people will just rip them out and replace them with bags. However, these boats with hard tanks are not quite old enough for that.

I'd be willing to bet it's your clean out hatch. It's not very probable, but possible it's your scupper. Granted those aren't AS problematic on these new boats. Yet mine wasn't very tight from the factory.

Suke, not sure if you saw my other reply, but I have determined it’s definitely not the ballast tanks. I Am Going to seal the panel around the cleanout and I have another thread asking how much water gets by the cleanout plugs. After just a couple minutes running on the water the clean out tube is completely full of water and is not from coming over the back. My previous 06 yamaha with the old plugs only had a little water on top of them after an entire day. I am thinking of the the plug rebuild kit, but wouldn’t think it was that after just a couple years. also, what is the scupper?

Suke, not sure if you saw my other reply, but I have determined it’s definitely not the ballast tanks. I Am Going to seal the panel around the cleanout and I have another thread asking how much water gets by the cleanout plugs. After just a couple minutes running on the water the clean out tube is completely full of water and is not from coming over the back. My previous 06 yamaha with the old plugs only had a little water on top of them after an entire day. I am thinking of the the plug rebuild kit, but wouldn’t think it was that after just a couple years. also, what is the scupper?
If your clean out tubes are sealed well you will have water on top of the clean out plugs. That's actually a good sign water isn't getting in through those. These transoms are much lower than your 06 and my old 09. Water runs over the back when you slow down very easily. Also people climbing in and out of the boat wet water will go down the clean out hatch. Mine has water nearly immediately in those and it's not water bypassing the plug. I have 0 cavitation issues. Just want to make sure it goes down that drain and/or into the tubes rather than into the hull. The scupper if you look into the jet pump from the rear on the right of the boat and look up it's a white fitting with a black rubber flap. Also can see it when you remove the whole clean out tray. It's what that white corrugated tube that runs through the middle of the engine bay goes to.

If your clean out tubes are sealed well you will have water on top of the clean out plugs. That's actually a good sign water isn't getting in through those.
Not sure I agree 100% with this. Yes, it is sealed enough to hold water on top that has virtually no pressure on it, however, it may not be sealed enough to hold water under high pressure therefore allowing it to blow by the seal. It really seems to me that these new style plugs just don’t work as well as the old style, but removing them is much much easier. If the plugs didn’t allow blow by as much then the only water on top of the tray would be from coming over the back.

If your clean out tubes are sealed well you will have water on top of the clean out plugs. That's actually a good sign water isn't getting in through those.
Not sure I agree 100% with this. Yes, it is sealed enough to hold water on top that has virtually no pressure on it, however, it may not be sealed enough to hold water under high pressure therefore allowing it to blow by the seal. It really seems to me that these new style plugs just don’t work as well as the old style, but removing them is much much easier. If the plugs didn’t allow blow by as much then the only water on top of the tray would be from coming over the back.
Correct. I highly doubt you're getting blow by from the clean out plugs. It's coming from either water over the back or people climbing in and out wet. Before I pulled my tray and sealed my tubes/tray I had minimal to no water on top of my clean out plugs and TONS of water coming out the drain plug when I pulled the boat after a day out on the water. After I sealed it I have maybe a few drips and water to the tops of the clean out tubes nearly 100% of the time. If not all the way to the top it's pretty high up the tubes..

Back