• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

212x wake

Ohio Yamaha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm looking for suggestions to improve the surf wake behind my 2017 212x

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Buy the Gantlin wake wedge and buy the swim deck ballast bag. You'll also want a good way to control speed so I recommend Ridesteady. Plenty of info on this in the watersports section so check it out https://jetboaters.net/forums/watersports.20/

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What have you tried?

We bought the Yamaha WakeBooster and run stock ballast, it's a good start if you haven't tried it yet.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have the Yamaha wakebooster. Stock ballast will not cut it. Tried lots of extra ballast configurations until I finally broke down and bought the swim deck bag - that’s what did it and was the only ballast option that worked with the wakebooster for me.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the setup @haknslash recommended above, that includes the Gantlin Products Wake Wedge personally, their Custom Transom ballast bag, and the Hydrophase Ridesteady for surfing my AR240. I also It's an awesome combination, in my opinion probably the best combination. As a watersports dealer I have access to a handful of wakesurf boards from both Slingshot and O'Brien. I've been able surf every board in my inventory easily with this setup. (If your in the market for any boards or gear shoot me a message and I'll happily hook you up with my best recommendations and pricing).

Here's some additional info from another thread on surfing:

Welcome back @PJ73! I finally gave the JBP video a watch. I think they did well with it. Naturally they're promoting their products throughout, which is expected and fine. The video does showcase they are working well in combination for them. It is great that there are multiple devices pushing the surf innovation with our boats now.

It's clear there's more than one way to skin this cat as far as shapers are concerned, but there does appear to be some universal principals that apply to making our boats surfable.
1) Ballast and extra ballast. JBP is solely using lead for their extra ballast but consider bags for their ability to ditch the weight.
2) Listing the boat (as in leaning the boat) surf side. It seems that no matter the shaper type, the wave benefits from having the boat weighed down on the surf side. Although it seems contrary as far as weight and displacement are concerned, try running with no ballast on the non surf side.
3) Keep most of the weight in the back. You know your on the right track when the lower swim platform is under water in the surf side.
View attachment 109366
Don't completely fill your ski locker bag. Weight in the nose will help you plane and lengthen the wave, but excessive weight will counteract the effects of weighing down the swim deck and the effectiveness of the shaper.
4) Speed Control. The size and shape of the wave change along with the speed. Having a GPS based speed control is extremely helpful. I recommend the Hydrophase Ridesteady system. They gave good pointers in the video for starting points, but the ideal speed will vary depending on the riders size, ability, board, and boat setup. It is up to you as the rider to feel and communicate with the driver the what the ideal speed is for you.

Tips:
1) Start off to surf side. Like way off to the side... starting in the jetwash will give you a fresh colon cleanse and cause you to have to cross over the wake.
View attachment 109365
2) shorten your rope a couple of loops. There will be less distance to have to pull yourself into the wave.
3) Stance: it's a surfboard not a wakeboard. It requires a fairly equal stance on the board. The majority of the time front foot heavy. Surfing is a constant state of falling down the face of the wave. Lean forward on your front foot line you're pressing your way down the wave. You may also find more success moving your feet forward on the board more. Your back foot is quite a ways back from what I can see. Try moving it up top the line. Just stand flat and get comfy.

Here's one of my vids from early last season with a good off to the side start and a chill ride.

Of course none of this is going to matter for several months...

I just bought myself a Hero 8. I'm going to have to learn how to use it now. Winter sucks!