• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

21ft Yamaha Lake Erie

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone take their 21ft Yamaha’s on Lake Erie. I’d like to be able to do some drift fishing for walleye. I don’t want to get in over my head though. If it’s a grey area, I prob won’t chance it. I’d be putting in around Cleveland.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had no problem, down in monroe. Lake Michigan no problem from calm to 3-4 footers. Been in 6 footers briefly, i could manage but turned around into channel, got scary instantly.

Tbh, damn wake boats churn up rough stuff in the inland lakes

Last edited:

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 242 but go out of Sandusky and edgewater regularly and see plenty of 212s. If you don’t have prior experience on Lake Erie just understand that no boat is comfortable in 2’+ Lake Erie chop. So don’t be surprised with a little pounding. I have ridden in many boats on Erie, from small fishing boats to 45’+ sea rays and our 242 is right in the middle in terms of comfort. We’re adding trim tabs shortly to help with the rough chop handling.

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven’t boated Lake Erie by myself, but I have been out several times on fishing charters and with family. It has always been on large boats, so it is hard to gauge how a smaller jet boat would preform. My father has a small classic wood boat made by cruisers, inc. We have discussed taking it out on the lake, as they had a reputation of doing well back in the day, but being out on Lake Erie in an 18ish foot wood boat from the 60’s makes me a little nervous lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sealegs89 Pick your days, is the best that I can say. Know your boat and know your own limitations. Have a plan. The great lakes are no joke, respect them and enjoy them and you will be fine.

Actually there was another thread here where someone was just fishing in lake Erie and trolling and hitting a good number of fish. Think he was in a 19' but I could be wrong. For some reason I have a hard time and times searching and finding threads.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Sealegs89 the nervousness is good, like @HangOutdoors said, respect the Great Lakes and you will be fine. We were out in Sandusky bay this evening, there were several 19’ and 21’ Yamahas out at bay point sandbar as well. But seas were less than 1’ and it was beautiful! Nights like that are what bot owners dream of. We also live in the greater Cleveland area, with West branch lake, Berlin Lake, etc. a short ride away, if it’s 2’+ on Lake Erie, we stay inland. Just not worth it!

Dan B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone take their 21ft Yamaha’s on Lake Erie. I’d like to be able to do some drift fishing for walleye. I don’t want to get in over my head though. If it’s a grey area, I prob won’t chance it. I’d be putting in around Cleveland.
I’ve taken my XS 190 out there a couple times. Launched at 72nd boat ramps and stayed inside the break wall. Waves were 1 or less. Made it out to the water crib and boated as far as I could down the Cuyahoga. I’ve caught a bunch of walleye inside the break wall and even a bunch of drum as well. I was trolling in no wake mode first and second setting. Defiantly watch the wave forecast and keep it 1-2 or less. Be smart and power through larger rollers. Had one large wake crest over the bow. Lol you can do it. Plan ahead !

Dan B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sealegs89 the nervousness is good, like @HangOutdoors said, respect the Great Lakes and you will be fine. We were out in Sandusky bay this evening, there were several 19’ and 21’ Yamahas out at bay point sandbar as well. But seas were less than 1’ and it was beautiful! Nights like that are what bot owners dream of. We also live in the greater Cleveland area, with West branch lake, Berlin Lake, etc. a short ride away, if it’s 2’+ on Lake Erie, we stay inland. Just not worth it!
We spent the entire day on Berlin today. Other then someone hitting my parked trailer 😡 we had a great day. I live about 15 minutes from there in Salem.

acemannw

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The tough thing is it all depends on the weather. We were just up a Lake Superior for seven days and we had a couple days we were fine and we are a couple days where it was not safe for our smaller boat.

Dcbuttsjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I take my fsh 190 sport out all the time. No more than 2-4 footers though. Too rough to fish and walk around