• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 dragging Yukon XL down ramp

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This guy may have had the same problem . Pulled up to the ramp to see this . His trailer was attached he was retrieving his boat .

20200907_181544.jpg

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We’ve got a new to us ‘15 Yukon XL Denali (6.2), this season. Every time we launch the boat, the front brakes lock the wheels on the ramp and the boat practically drags the car to the water.

Our shorter Tahoe, and my F250 have never experienced this. Same ramp

The first few times I just assumed it was a slick ramp. But, now I’m not so sure. We never have any trouble pulling back out loaded.

Should my rear brakes be engaging on the car, before the front locks? They don’t seem to be.

Something else I noticed this weekend (wife’s car, I never drive it… she’s also the designated trailer operator), is that even driving it without a load, the front brakes always seem to be reacting with what I have come to associate with anti-lock braking. Going down a hill and feathering the brakes seems to result in front brake surges, makes the whole car shake.

Related? Any thoughts from those more automotive than me?

Thanks!
Check your brake vacuum pump. Had it go out on both my 2017 Yukon and 2017 Sierra. Will feel like your brakes are failing and little pedal action. Brake pedal will have no cushion....and will go straight to hard pedal. I have the part number somewhere....will try to find.

I got drug down a Possum Kingdom ramp when it went out on my wife’s ride. Front tires sliding, pedal slammed hard against the floor.

On my Sierra it failed pulling boat out of my warehouse ramp. Almost couldn’t stop the truck/boat before I hit the fence.

My uncles 2017 Sierra lost control in campground pulling his camper.

Dealer replaced brake vacuum pump on all 3 vehicles and normal stopping returned. There is a bulletin on the problem.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We’ve got a new to us ‘15 Yukon XL Denali (6.2), this season. Every time we launch the boat, the front brakes lock the wheels on the ramp and the boat practically drags the car to the water.

Our shorter Tahoe, and my F250 have never experienced this. Same ramp

The first few times I just assumed it was a slick ramp. But, now I’m not so sure. We never have any trouble pulling back out loaded.

Should my rear brakes be engaging on the car, before the front locks? They don’t seem to be.

Something else I noticed this weekend (wife’s car, I never drive it… she’s also the designated trailer operator), is that even driving it without a load, the front brakes always seem to be reacting with what I have come to associate with anti-lock braking. Going down a hill and feathering the brakes seems to result in front brake surges, makes the whole car shake.

Related? Any thoughts from those more automotive than me?

Thanks!
I would have the brakes checked. I have no issues with my Suburban and my 21’. I generally just leave it in 2wd. However I was at a shallow landing and had to put the rear tires in the water and used the auto 4wd as I don’t have a 4high option. Still no problems, I realize your boat is a bit heavier however I generally have half my house in my boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 does the parking brake work properly?

This system has a disc for the primary, and then a small drum inside the disc for the parking brake. If the parking brake won't hold, it's possible the recent rebuild had incorrect rotors installed. I had that when replacing the rear rotors on a 2003 Yukon years ago. It's a long shot, but worth a check.

If that's not the case, then an ABS control module or proportioning valve could be the issue. You'll want a reputable shop with right electronic tools/software to test the ABS.

Best advice at this point.....avoid Brakeway and "Brake Only" quick/discount shops. You're going to need a dealer or similar level independent shop to dig into this one.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had the same thing Abe, I had to replace the front rotors. They were warped and it is a common issue with these vehicles.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Any update?
Not yet. Hopefully will get it in the shop next week. Currently, trying not to drive it much.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not yet. Hopefully will get it in the shop next week. Currently, trying not to drive it much.
New front pads, new front rotors and rear left air shock was holding air, but spewing fluid everywhere. And re-bled entire brake system. Should have it back tomorrow.

No idea if any of that will help with the problems at the ramp or not. I guess we’ll find out.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
your Yukon was like my old lab, used to drag me to the water too!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I wish my boat would drag our Yukon into the water! What a pile of garbage that thing has been. I wouldn't even attempt to tow my boat with it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't forget your tires, if it's actually dragging the truck down, your tires have to have the grip to stop them.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Going to a new ramp (and lake) on Thursday and launching with the Yukon. First time since I started thinking I had serious braking issues. We’ll see how it goes.

I did witness last weekend at our old ramp a shorter Escalade slid down the ramp while launching another 242. So, maybe that is just a really wet ramp and not all the problems were with my car. But, my F250 hasn’t slid once on the same ramp. So, I don’t know.