• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 Limited S E engine hours

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello everyone!

I am new to the jet boating world and looking for some advice. I am working with a dealer that has a 2016 242 Limited S E for sale. They just took it in on trade and it is in great shape. My one major concern is the engine hours. Port is showing 85 and starboard is showing 18. I have read the posts about the drive by wire issues with the connext, but this seems like a very large discrepancy. When I questioned the dealer, they stated that the previous owner probably shut down the starboard in no wake zone cruising. From what I have read here, this doesn't sound like a wise thing to do. My question is this: Would this be a deal breaker, or am I being overly paranoid? Is this considered a "normal" amount of difference? Thank you for any advice.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my opinion, I think the dealer is giving you a line of crap. That's 67 hours difference, so the guy was cruising in a no wake zone for that many hours. Also, do not know of anybody that shuts down one engine while in a no wake zone. No a good thing to do on these jet boats as water has the ability to back fill into the engines.

It's more likely a connext issue like you stated. Ask him to reach out to previous owner to ask him if it is ok for a person interested in his boat to call him? Get the real story and piece of mind.

h2oskierfl95

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply Mike. I'm on the same train of thought. I would feel better if they would get the real reading from the ECU as well. With the high demand of these boats lately, there is a rush to jump on something without having time to do due diligence. But I would rather miss out on the boat then get stuck with a lemon.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know it is Hard to haev restraint when looking at boats, but restraint is much better than regret. Good call.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is a normal occurrence for the e-series, just a quirk with the connext display, not an actual hour difference. Use the higher hour count of the two. If the dealer read actual hours using YDS it would probably show very similar hours for both engines.