• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 Yamaha with 170 Hours

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am planning to buy a 2016 yamaha 242 Limited with 170 hours on each engine... is that a lot of hours? How many hours do these engines last?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think that's low. If you count 2016 to 2020 as 5 boating season, that's only 34 hrs a summer. I average 80 hrs a summer. Not sure what the average lifespan of a 1.8eng is, I've read 2000 hrs.

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think that's low. If you count 2016 to 2020 as 5 boating season, that's only 34 hrs a summer. I average 80 hrs a summer. Not sure what the average lifespan of a 1.8eng is, I've read 2000 hrs.
Thanks Sean... I think I read that many as well, but wanted to be sure...

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I am planning to buy a 2016 yamaha 242 Limited with 170 hours on each engine... is that a lot of hours? How many hours do these engines last?
@GoodCubanito ...IMO those hours are fine. More important is how was it treated and if proper service was done. What is your impression of the owner and does he/she have service records? Also the boat's management system can probably be downloaded if you still have questions. Good luck! :cool:

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2018 is my first boat and I’ve averaged 60-70 hours each year so 170 hours for a 2016 seems a tad bit low to me.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat will wear out before the engines. I have an 08 that just hit 200 hours. Hell not even broken in yet! Look at rental jet skis - yamahas and kawasakis as they are abused by renters for 1000's of hours and keep on trucking along.

SandfleaDDH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with OCMD. And those jetski motors are are most often getting absolutely soaked in salt water and hardly rinsed. Friend rents them out here locally and those damn things are indestuctible. It was one of the main reasons I went with a Yamaha boat to begin with.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The boat will wear out before the engines. I have an 08 that just hit 200 hours. Hell not even broken in yet! Look at rental jet skis - yamahas and kawasakis as they are abused by renters for 1000's of hours and keep on trucking along.
@OCMD - where we travel to scuba dive from Singapore to Hawaii 90% of the rentals and local family and fishing boats use Yamahas. Even if abused they survive. :cool:

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2016 242 Ltd s e-series with 180 hrs on each motor, and haven’t had any issues with them. I prefer to run the iridium plugs bc I had 2009 232 Ltd which had one motor go to an overheat warning one day when I was on the water. Once I changed the plugs the boat never had another issue. I use these boats for Trolling at idle when fishing, and for family fun and watersports. I suspect I must have fouled a plug and that caused the problem. Since using nothing but iridiums and 91 octane in boats and jet skis I have had better performance from the motors. These Yamaha motors are really dependable. Just show them a little tlc and they keep running.

You might want to ask the owner if he could take the boat to a dealer and get a print out of the motor usage history. The boats computer keeps a running log of how many hour the boat ran at various rpms. Just remember these are the same motors which Yamaha has been putting in their waverunners, and those watercraft are typically run so much harder than a boat.

180 hours sounds low, but a lot depends on how good a boating season it was and where the boat was used.