• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242LSE How do YOU Clean Your Bimini Top?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
781BD7D9-3FD6-4E16-BB64-362A67210294.jpeg So, my bimini top has been pretty dirty since I bought the boat and had a big mold/mildew stain in the port aft “square” which was actually nice because it let me know how to put the top back on lol. Well... I finally broke down and cleaned the damn thing. I filled the bath tub about 1/3 of the way up and added boat wash&wax, sprayed the stain with oxy clean and let it sit for about 15 minutes then scrubbed it with a scrub brush. I then hand washed (swished around in the tub) the top and let it soak for about 40 minutes... Well, I was thinking about a good way to rinse it and said what the hell, let’s just put it in the washing machine on the gentle cycle... the story continues.
I figured if I’m throwing it in there anyway, I might as well wash it again in there. So I ran it on gentle with normal laundry detergent (the oxy clean one I think). I pulled it out and hung on the deck railing and although it’s still wetland now dark outside, I think it should look pretty dang good come tomorrow!!!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I never thought of the tub or washing machine. Let us know how it turns out.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I were you I would go to Bimini with a dirty Bimini and let the Bimini locals clean your boat.
They cleaned @Amar Nanduri million piece windshield ; I bet they can handle the Bimini

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got the same port side aft stain. It's on my list to get clean after this season. Worst case, I bite the bullet and buy the charcoal/black version so at least I don't see the dirt.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've got the same port side aft stain. It's on my list to get clean after this season. Worst case, I bite the bullet and buy the charcoal/black version so at least I don't see the dirt.
I would strongly advise against that!!! @T. Hardee has a black top on his and yes it blocks the sun like its supposed to, but if you're tall enough that your head gets anywhere close to it you'll die with the amount of heat that radiates off it. It seems like the oxy clean and scrub brush worked pretty well on mine, but it was still damp this morning since its so humid here right now. It should be dry by the time I get home today to see how clean it is and put back on the boat.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
7517D972-2400-497D-9A7F-B3E9B512F97B.jpeg AD22C48E-45C0-482A-ABEA-A136A43B4B38.jpeg So the verdict is in... it looks great!!! Other than being wrinkled it looks almost as good as new... AND it smells fantastic!!! lol

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought it was a joke at first because it looked like the dog peed all over it.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
9BAF2C61-EC3C-42D9-B7D6-AB52E932A030.jpeg Ahhhhh. Finally all back in one piece. Cleaned washed and waxed just in time for the weekend to get her dirty again! Hahahaha

T. Hardee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would strongly advise against that!!! @T. Hardee has a black top on his and yes it blocks the sun like its supposed to, but if you're tall enough that your head gets anywhere close to it you'll die with the amount of heat that radiates off it. It seems like the oxy clean and scrub brush worked pretty well on mine, but it was still damp this morning since its so humid here right now. It should be dry by the time I get home today to see how clean it is and put back on the boat.
The black top looks good, but can make it uncomfortable on hot days, especially if it’s large. There have been days that I moved out from under the Bimini to cool off. If I had to get a new one, it would definitely be a lighter color.