• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x Ballast set up

Ryan123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Try this again, I have a 2018 242XE I surf port side. I cannot Surf ropeless. I’ve ordered a wake wedge and will be putting it on as soon as I get it and hopefully see if that helps. How do you set your ballast? All port side? Any in the center in the starboard ballast?

Thanks

melvin80

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
let me know how the wedge works, we just bought a suck gate and seemed to help but blew the center bag when filling the ballast. hoping to test again soon once the bag is fixed.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Try this again, I have a 2018 242XE I surf port side. I cannot Surf ropeless. I’ve ordered a wake wedge and will be putting it on as soon as I get it and hopefully see if that helps. How do you set your ballast? All port side? Any in the center in the starboard ballast?

Thanks
I don't believe anyone, over about 150lbs, can surf ropeless on any stock X model Yamaha. You could perhaps get it done with a really fast board, but your first look should be the wake wedge and the swim deck bag, both from @jcyamaharider. The wake wedge will definitely clean the wave up, which will help, but it won't make the wave taller. The swim deck bag will, and it is very effective. I have an older 212x, and while it's a very different boat from yours, ropeless was completely out of the question without the wedge and the swim deck bag. I'll also be upgrading the factory ballast over the winter. There are a few people who have gone ropeless with the stock setup, but it's a very small pocket, and you're basically pumping the whole time. Not ideal.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I surfed ropeless last week. 2 people in port rear corner. Ballast 100 port rear. 65 center. 60 starboard rear. Forgot to mention, I tip the scales at 175. 74”. Ropeless.

Last edited: