• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x Wakebooster Surf Setup

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes I searched, and found tons of info on the wedge, and found a lot of conflicting info on the wakebooster.

I’m only interested anyone with experience in setting up the 242x, I have a deposit down on a 2017 242x that is coming with the wakebooster package so would like to start with that before investing in the wedge.

What is the consensus as far as a starting point for a 242x with wakebooster installed?

10.5 mph?
100% ballast surf side?
50% ski locker ballast?
0% ballast opposite surf side?

Is ropeless possible without any additional (non-stock) ballast? Assume a family of four in the boat and plenty of deep water available if that helps. Will be using the Yamaha branded Slingshot that came with the Wakebooster package.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you want try try with what you have do 100% locker, 100% surf side. I would recommend getting the 24ft Transom bag from myself, after that you should be set.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't want to get into a debate regarding which product is better, I think the overwhelming consensus when looking at surf wave alone is that the wedge produces a better, deeper, longer, cleaner, more surfable wave than the Wakebooster. It just so happens that the used boat I'm looking at includes the Wakebooster package.

I've been reading that with the Wedge, the more displacement and list toward the surf side the better, however when it comes to the Wakebooster there is a point where you can list to the surf side too much and you get diminishing returns, anyone have any insight on this or experience this that can elaborate further? If true would you locate any additional aftermarket transom ballast in the center (or just off center) of the swim platform rather than to the surf side when using the Wakebooster?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We set a boat up the same way with both products. The wedge did have a cleaner wave, but the Wakebooster did just fine with the same ballast setup.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don't want to get into a debate regarding which product is better, I think the overwhelming consensus when looking at surf wave alone is that the wedge produces a better, deeper, longer, cleaner, more surfable wave than the Wakebooster. It just so happens that the used boat I'm looking at includes the Wakebooster package.

I've been reading that with the Wedge, the more displacement and list toward the surf side the better, however when it comes to the Wakebooster there is a point where you can list to the surf side too much and you get diminishing returns, anyone have any insight on this or experience this that can elaborate further? If true would you locate any additional aftermarket transom ballast in the center (or just off center) of the swim platform rather than to the surf side when using the Wakebooster?
The marketing videos make it look usable stock. I think you’re still going to want more ballast on the transom. You could possibly use the transom, then just use the side stock bag at 50%. I think you’ll find that the stock setup just doesn’t quite get enough weight in the right spot to realize the full potential, though.

Also, my normal crew is fairly light... so I’ve started adding a 400lb bag (that I already had) on the floor up in the bow. Helps me get on plane easier and lengthens the wave a bit.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
To clarify...a good starting point for going ropeless on a 242x:

10-11 mph
100% surf side ballast
100% ski locker ballast
0% opposite surf side ballast
100% custom transom ballast
Wakebooster or Wedge

Add deep water and four (4) human ballasts (perhaps two in the bow) and we should be good to go...is this correct?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
going ropeless has many factors

1. type of board
2. size of rider
3. ability of rider
4. type of wave

If your 250# + you've got to hit on the board and the wave
if your rider is 85# or less only ability matters
anything in between is a just a guessing game
a good long board, rider ability and bad wave can equal ropeless
a great wave, short board and less rider ability will always have a rope involved

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

10-11 mph
100% surf side ballast
100% ski locker ballast
Wakebooster or Wedge

Add deep water and four (4) human ballasts (perhaps two in the bow) and we should be good to go...is this correct?
That’s about the perfect setup on my ‘19. If anything different, I would back the surf side bag off to 50%. Your 4 adults will be heavier than my crew (4, 7, and 13 plus wife).

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s about the perfect setup on my ‘19. If anything different, I would back the surf side bag off to 50%. Your 4 adults will be heavier than my crew (4, 7, and 13 plus wife).
I was surfing ropeless with this config last year. 6’5” and 350lbs. So... probably anyone could be ropeless with that config.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is the setup with the wake booster:

Same setup Wake Wedge:

Either setup will get you what you need

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As @BigAbe75 said, if you add the Gantlin bag you will definitely want to decrease the surf side bag fill, possibly to 0. We didn't get much time before it got cold, but after reading an insane amount on this board (the show us your wake thread that @Scottintexas linked is good reading - all of it), it seems the best setup for 24' boats is Gantlin bag on transom, 100% ski locker, plus a wake wedge or booster. Depending on passenger load you may want to move some folks to the bow to help the boat get out of the hole.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The factory rear ballast just doesn’t seem to be in the right spot. With these boats you really need to list that back corner, which the custom transom bag accomplishes.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

10-11 mph
100% surf side ballast
100% ski locker ballast
Wakebooster or Wedge

I've used this exact setup on my 2017 with the wakebooster. 25-30ft of water, 300lb of human ballast surf side, 200lbs of human ballast in the bow. My 18yo daughter (140lbs-ish) can go ropeless, but I cannot. I'm 6'2" - 225lbs. I'm close to going ropeless, but the sweet spot on the wave is just so dang small, and my balance and reaction time is not what it was 20 years ago.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like wedge is longer pocket and further away from the boat. Booster looks close.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's the setup we use on our 242x w/ booster.

We surf regular and 100% of the time ropeless, so we run 100% port side ballast, 50% center and 0% starboard. We then add, 100 lbs steel under portside seat (just outside the battery compartment), 100 lbs steel port side wet-locker and 300 lbs steel in a dry bag on the port side swim deck.

Once we're done surfing, I just grab the steel bags and evenly place them around the boat to reduce listing as we boat and get on the lift. Super simple:

Steel (water proof): Eight.3 Ronix Boost Sac 50lb Solid Ballast Bag

or

Steel (not water proof): Buy Best Selling wakesurfing and ballast Products Online

Dry bag: GILL Race Team Duffel Bag | West Marine

or similar sized bag.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's the setup we use on our 242x w/ booster.

We surf regular and 100% of the time ropeless, so we run 100% port side ballast, 50% center and 0% starboard. We then add, 100 lbs steel under portside seat (just outside the battery compartment), 100 lbs steel port side wet-locker and 300 lbs steel in a dry bag on the port side swim deck.

Once we're done surfing, I just grab the steel bags and evenly place them around the boat to reduce listing as we boat and get on the lift. Super simple:

Steel (water proof): Eight.3 Ronix Boost Sac 50lb Solid Ballast Bag

or

Steel (not water proof): Buy Best Selling wakesurfing and ballast Products Online

Dry bag: GILL Race Team Duffel Bag | West Marine

or similar sized bag.

Hmmmmm...which is less of a PIA to deal with, the custom transom fatsac or the steel bags???

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'd say it depends if you trailer the boat every day. I wouldn't want to haul 800lbs of lead to and from the truck everyday. Thus for us, ballast bags are preferable as we don't dock overnight.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd say it depends if you trailer the boat every day. I wouldn't want to haul 800lbs of lead to and from the truck everyday. Thus for us, ballast bags are preferable as we don't dock overnight.
Help me understand? Is there a reason you can't keep in the boat all the time regardless of weather your're trailing or not? Wouldn't you just simply redistribute evenly throughout the boat as Shady mentioned?

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Help me understand? Is there a reason you can't keep in the boat all the time regardless of weather your're trailing or not? Wouldn't you just simply redistribute evenly throughout the boat as Shady mentioned?
Well of course you could keep it in the boat. But do you want extra weight all the time. Less fuel economy for the boat and the tow vehicle. With ballast bags you can dump whenever