• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Really not a fair comparison, you are in a boat that is literally designed for wake surf. I know a guy that has an Axis that burns around 19gph when he surfs with full ballast. I have a hard time believing you are only burning 6gph while surfing. Even while cruising around I still burn 8-10gph and that's around 20mph. So while I'm here to try to help others create an exceptional wave from a boat that wasn't designed for surfing, it sounds to me like you're here to brag about how awesome your Moomba is, a theme I have seen from you pretty consistently. We're happy for you - or at least I am. You found something that you love and that's great, but please stop comparing your apple to our orange, it's getting old.
Wow you need to come down off your attitude. My post wasn't meant to trigger you. Just saying that damn that's A LOT of fuel to burn! I didn't see a disclaimer on this forum saying not to comment unless I own a jet boat.

Contrary to your imagination, no I'm not here to poke fun at you, belittle you, troll you, your boat or any of that. Actually opposite of that. Check my post history. You see THOUSANDS of posts by me HELPING PEOPLE on here, even beyond my jet boat ownership. Frankly I'm getting sick and tired of trying to be painted as some black sheep just because I don't own a jet boat anymore. I bite my tongue a lot on here because of the ridicule I already receive because "I left the hive". Enough is enough and I'm tired of some of you trying to paint me as something I'm not. What freaking theme from me? I do my best to try NOT and post about my boat on here or at least keep it to a handful of threads because some members on here cried wolf. So please stop trying to paint me as someone going around here trying to slam jet boats. I'm as honest a person as you'll meet and I tell it like it is. If people ask for honest feedback I give it to them. Do us both a favor and put me on your ignore list... FFS.

To think today I just received my 5500 post award which ironically says "I obviously love it here" lol. Clearly I do or I wouldn't waste my time here. It's a great community but holy shit some of you need to come off your inferiority complex and just live freakin life and let go of whatever hate you have for me because of a freaking powertrain....... of all things lol. Geez the way some of you act I wouldn't even give you a tow if you're broke down on the water. Some of you act spiteful and jaded which makes me feel like I have to walk around here like I'm on egg shells when to this day I still continue to help and contribute to this community.

image.jpeg

To get back on topic yes my (boat which I won't name lol) gets good fuel efficiency all things being considered. Maybe you should research and see that yes, people actually do get those numbers. Your buddy in his Axis is of course getting much worse gas efficiency than me because he's using two devices that create a ton of drag. Surf Gate and the wedge. Malibu and Axis are both known to be gas hogs in the wake boating world....

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll see you, and I raise you! lol
:cigar:
This was earlier today, with the Wedge. We have been going around the cove for like an hour, our legs are mush, lol.
I still want to experiment with the Booster some more but so far I have to give it to the Wedge.

I like to go back out as far as I can, and still be able to pull/glide back to the boat, kind of forces me to learn how to handle the board.
Starting to get a bit of a feel for the whole thingy. Freaking love this.

Now we still need a real camera, lol.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Gantlin wedge is where it's at. You got that boat dialed in @swatski lookin good. I will say y'all are more brave than me surfing with your shades on. I have the worst luck keeping my glasses from falling victim to the depths lol.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah man, I have always admired your wave shape. I'm not sure I would have changed my mind from the wake booster to the wedge, but the face of your wave looks extremely clean. I'm curious as to what your fuel rate is like... Haknslash's comment has me wondering if my 18.5gph is a lot or not for our boats loaded with ballast and wave device drag. let me know ??

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah man, I have always admired your wave shape. I'm not sure I would have changed my mind from the wake booster to the wedge, but the face of your wave looks extremely clean. I'm curious as to what your fuel rate is like... Haknslash's comment has me wondering if my 18.5gph is a lot or not for our boats loaded with ballast and wave device drag. let me know ??
I choose not to ruin the fun by looking... 🙈 I honestly have no idea. I just fill it up when it needs it, lol! ⛽

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm also curious now! This is what I could find from way earlier this Spring - about 30hrs ago, but it would be different now likely, we run with different impellers, the 6CWs, but here is what I could find:

No idea how accurate those momentary GPH measurements are but it's something.
I think my RPM are a bit higher with the 6CW at about 6,000-6,100 and we run closer to 11mph at least for Kate, I still like the 10.7 as it gives a tad deeper pocket - yes, I need all the push I can get, lol.

--

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm also curious now! This is what I could find from way earlier this Spring - about 30hrs ago, but it would be different now likely, we run with different impellers, the 6CWs, but here is what I could find:
View attachment 106035

No idea how accurate those momentary GPH measurements are but it's something.
I think my RPM are a bit higher with the 6CW at about 6,000-6,100 and we run closer to 11mph at least for Kate, I still like the 10.7 as it gives a tad deeper pocket - yes, I need all the push I can get, lol.

--
Good info. thanks for sharing. I'm now wondering if the GPH when I looked at it was spiked for some reason, at that moment?? my rpm's def do not stay steady, they fluctuate about 300rpms or so up and down. Looking at your numbers, I'm only around 500rpm's higher combined, which shouldn't cause another 5gph right? thoughts?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good info. thanks for sharing. I'm now wondering if the GPH when I looked at it was spiked for some reason, at that moment?? my rpm's def do not stay steady, they fluctuate about 300rpms or so up and down. Looking at your numbers, I'm only around 500rpm's higher combined, which shouldn't cause another 5gph right? thoughts?
I honestly have no idea, will be tracking those.

The Booster is kind of funny. I loved the push behind it, and was very impressed - especially given such easy/manageable setup with the piece. The wave may not look as crisp and as smooth but it does have a ton of push! (with proper ballast)

Kate, on the other hand, did not care for the Booster as much. She felt the Booster push was almost too much combined with a short/narrow/small sweet spot and felt with the Wedge there is a lot more room to play.
IDK. But it does seem like the surfable area is larger with the Wedge.

--

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I honestly have no idea, will be tracking those.

The Booster is kind of funny. I loved the push behind it, and was very impressed - especially given such easy/manageable setup with the piece. The wave may not look as crisp and as smooth but it does have a ton of push! (with proper ballast)

Kate, on the other hand, did not care for the Booster as much. She felt the Booster push was almost too much combined with a short/narrow/small sweet spot and felt with the Wedge there is a lot more room to play.
IDK. But it does seem like the surfable area is larger with the Wedge.

--
We have to fill the storage locker bag to give length to the wave with booster. It’s a noticeable difference.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have to fill the storage locker bag to give length to the wave with booster. It’s a noticeable difference.
We have filled the rear locker, on the surf side. So, I have center locker and rear locker (surf side) both full, plus the transom bag. Nothing on the non-surf side though.
Do you fill the non-surf side rear locker, too?

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We surfed again, today - after work, lol. The setup is like 5 min total now so we waste no time.

I just realized I left my phone in the boat :banghead: and can't get the pics downloaded but I'll confirm tomorrow. Watching the fuel gauge tonight it was hovering around 14.5gph at 10.7-11.0 mph while we surfed, I think.

I realized with the reading above (at 13.6gph) I was probably running the RIVA tune, run it whenever I have access to premium gas, it's nice and gives me better fuel economy. But right now we are back in the slip running my marina's pump gas... 87, running the factory (backup) ECU tune.

--

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We surfed again, today - after work, lol. The setup is like 5 min total now so we waste no time.

I just realized I left my phone in the boat :banghead: and can't get the pics downloaded but I'll confirm tomorrow. Watching the fuel gauge tonight it was hovering around 14.5gph at 10.7-11.0 mph while we surfed, I think.

I realized with the reading above (at 13.6gph) I was probably running the RIVA tune, run it whenever I have access to premium gas, it's nice and gives me better fuel economy. But right now we are back in the slip running my marina's pump gas... 87, running the factory (backup) ECU tune.

--
Swatski, how much total ballast weight are you running including hooman weight :D

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This was the wave yesterday, we had two kids, two adults (one in the boat, one surfing), two midsize dogs, 800lbs center locker (maybe 90% full) 800lbs rear looker surf side (maybe 70% full), and the Gantlin transom bag (800-900?lbs - full)

Kids and dogs were in the bow mostly, not much difference they make I think.

--

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My wife and I went out last night and surfed for the very first time. It was only the 2 of us - no passengers.

All stock 09 212x. We filled the stock ballasts and that is all. No wake shapers.

My wife got up first try and did really well. For both of us, we had to keep the speed between 12-13mph, which by reading all of your comments, seems way high. I am 5'9" 165 pounds so it isn't a surfer-weight issue. I dont know if it is us and it being our first time (we were only out there an hour) or if it is the setup.

We would both get up pretty close to the boat, then fall back a bit, and the wave would shoot us forward - so a lot of the problem is probably we just don't have a good feel for balance yet.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My wife and I went out last night and surfed for the very first time. It was only the 2 of us - no passengers.

All stock 09 212x. We filled the stock ballasts and that is all. No wake shapers.

My wife got up first try and did really well. For both of us, we had to keep the speed between 12-13mph, which by reading all of your comments, seems way high. I am 5'9" 165 pounds so it isn't a surfer-weight issue. I dont know if it is us and it being our first time (we were only out there an hour) or if it is the setup.

We would both get up pretty close to the boat, then fall back a bit, and the wave would shoot us forward - so a lot of the problem is probably we just don't have a good feel for balance yet.

I have the same thing. My pocket is small but decent. 100% stock boat, stock ballasts, less than 300lbs of people ballast in the boat, and no wave shaper of any sort.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the same thing. My pocket is small but decent. 100% stock boat, stock ballasts, less than 300lbs of people ballast in the boat, and no wave shaper of any sort.
You look INFINITELY more balanced than I do lol. How fast are you going?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I think it is a case of first time trial and error. The key to getting a surfable wake from your Yamaha is to get the boat to list (lean) to the surf side and weight the surf side corner. If there's just the two of you in the boat, only fill the rear under seat on the surf side. Get the speed about 10mph. Then, back off the throttle on the surf side and throttle up on the non surf side. Back off enough on the surf side as much as you can and still help it maintain speed. You may be at 2500 rpm surf side and 6500 rpm on the other. Performing a gradual turn surf side will also help. Also a full tank of gas.

In this video, I'm using this strategy to go ropeless behind my AR240. Minus the full tank of gas. The water was rough that day so I wasn't able to go for long before getting thrown.

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stance is also important. You need to be heavy in your front foot and that front foot and center of gravity are going to be forward towards the nose of the board just behind where you feel like it might nose dive.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You look INFINITELY more balanced than I do lol. How fast are you going?
around 10ish. Our GPS speedo doesn't have half numbers but we tried to stay between 9-11mph. My boat will hold that speed all day long. Love it! Now if/when I start picking up wakeboarding that's when I'll start getting pissed about not having GPS speed control. LOL! Holding at 20mph on my boat seems to be a near possible endeavor. I grew up ocean surfing, so it's a fairly normal thing for me. Granted at this point I probably haven't surfed in 20 years. This was day 2 of me learning how to wake surf.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stance is also important. You need to be heavy in your front foot and that front foot and center of gravity are going to be forward towards the nose of the board just behind where you feel like it might nose dive.
That part has been a challenge for me, as ocean surfing your weight is more towards the rear of the board. So that part is hella un-natural to me.